Paperless VED costs DVLA £400m in lost revenue...

JohnDeere

Whatever happens it’ll be out of our hands so it’s pointless worrying about it. No government wants to be the one that comes up with road pricing anyway, it’d be political suicide. It’d be the Poll Tax Riots again.

Your post basically sums up my view on politics in general! Either way I'll get bent over and fucked, so I may as well not worry about it and enjoy life whilst I can!

Give it 20 years and road-pricing will be the norm (plus they won't junk road/VRT as it's a nice little earner). It's not if road-pricing happens, it's when, that's what all this is leading on to. Pretty well all vehicles will be tracked via transponder ("Black box") and your location, time of day and probably speed will be monitored and charged/fined accordingly.

It'll be sold under the usual guises of the environment (that old favourite!), pollution, infrastructure improvement, for the good of the country etc., etc. Not as a revenue stream. 

Getting rid of it was a fucking stupid idea. If the Swiss can have stickers for motorway tolls there’s no reason why we can’t have something for road tax. Even the Yanks, who profess to hate government bureaucracy, have little stickers or number plate tags for their MoT equivalent.

Mind you the DVLA could fuck anything, even the simplest or most elegant solution up.

We all knew that this would be a monumental cock up, I’d wager that there are loads of un-taxed sheds running about in rural areas now as there is none of this number plate recognition stuff to catch them out in the sticks...

The simple not broke system of a mandatory displayed paper disc behind the windscreen clearly showing the date of expiry to the owner of the vehicle and everyone else....Needs to come back really,

I don't use my cars a great deal, the last few years probably barely 6 or 7,000 miles a year, so IN THEORY, I would be better off with an extra few pence on petrol and no road tax. In reality, it would not be a few extra pence and I would probably end up paying far more to run the Clio and Stepway which both have cheap tax (£30).Admittedly, I probably would save with the 2cv which barely gets used. 

However, as some have mentioned, this extra cost would go on pretty much everything we buy as all haulage costs would increase. Where I work, we have three vans, using roughly £70 per week in fuel each. If costs climbed too much we would have find savings or increase charges. When the congestion charge came in we had about 10 customers in the zone. We now have 2 as the others have moved or closed down. We now have to charge them for deliveries as we are normally not making enough to absorb the congestion charge unless it is a big order.

I really didn't see the point of losing the tax disc. It was so easy to look at the cars and see if they were getting close to due. Yes you get a letter, yes you can check online but is that really easier? My neighbour, a very precise elderly lady recently discovered that her car tax was 6 months out of date. She was mortified as she has never broken the law in her life, but only found out when checking if her MOT was due.  My dad bought a new car last year and after driving it for several months, for some reason checked the tax on line ( I believe he wanted to know how much it was) only to find out it had never been taxed! The sales manager was very apologetic, but dad had done several thousand miles in this time! If normally law abiding people are accidentally driving untaxed for so long and not getting caught, how easy must it be to just use a false address or not even worry about it?  

Surely if tax is added to fuel, apart from the veg nommers more tax will come in

Therefore subsidise/reduce tax rates for hauliers? Either by a cash back system, or they buy their fuel for the depot by some special means and only full up there?

Should all balance* out and food prices dont* rise? .

You're assuming trucks drive A-B & B-A when actually they go A-G-F-Z -B-A i.e. All over the place , special rates for trucks, what about every tradesman, couriers, anybody that uses lots of fuel, when I was couriering I was using £50 a day, there's a reason road tax isn't on fuel , it's far too complicated to be giving certain groups rebates that then upsets other groups, plus the public are stupid enough not to realise we already pay huge fuel based duty AND road tax, why would the government change that

You're assuming trucks drive A-B & B-A when actually they go A-G-F-Z -B-A i.e. All over the place , special rates for trucks, what about every tradesman, couriers, anybody that uses lots of fuel, when I was couriering I was using £50 a day, there's a reason road tax isn't on fuel , it's far too complicated to be giving certain groups rebates that then upsets other groups, plus the public are stupid enough not to realise we already pay huge fuel based duty AND road tax, why would the government change that

Very pertinent point! Possibly why I don't run shit!

from: http://www.ukpia.com/industry_information/industry-overview.aspx

the UK uses 44,530,000,000 litres of petrol and diesel a year

from: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/nov/16/untaxed-vehicles-uk-trebles-tax-disc-abolition-vehicle-excise-duty-dvla

the uk collected £5,870,000,000 pounds a year in road fund licence

If we take the money collected and divide it by the number of litres we get £0.13 per litre. Where I stay fuel has increased more than this in the last six months and life has continued as normal.

In practice this 13p extra would be less as you will also catch those who don't currently pay towards the DVLA this includes tax dodgers and also vehicles operating in the country on foreign plates as they have to buy fuel. Plus you will no longer have the overhead of however many people are employed to administer the current system.

It would be a fair system the amount you pay is directly related to the amount you pollute.