Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

This is delightful. Is it perhaps the last proper base spec model Mercedes sold? I imagine everything after this came with electric windows

89 was, AFAIK, the last year you could get the 2 litre carb model. This was superseded by the 1.8 einspritzung which developed almost exactly the same power but probably superior economy.

Interestingly, this is also the cheapest manufacturer fit radio you could get, but was more expensive than even the most expensive dealer fit option. It’s also been paired to a manual aerial, again cheaper.

This is an ace purchase. I loved wafting around in my old W201, which was decadently specced with abs, fuel injection, autobox, mb-tex and electric everything. But looking at yours it seems to me like a clear case of less is definitely more when it comes to these things!

....the complicated single wiper mechanism is mesmerising. I'm sold just on the wiper on these in fact.

The wiper mechanism is a work of art. I think it has some sort of cam arrangement so it can stretch and contract to cover the greatest possible sweep.

My CX is also single-wiper, but only the one pivot.

Or that flat battleship grey they did. Lovely stuff.

First time I saw one in that colour I asked the owner if the top coat was an optional extra...

Continuing the 'Drum and Base' (or does it have discs front drums rear?) theme, you are the S, the U, the P the E the R, 

The S the H, the A, the R the P

The S, the H, the I, the T, the T the E, the R

The S, the U, the P the E the R
The S, the H, the A the R the P
The S, the H, the I, the T, the

Super, Sharp, Shite!

Check it, you're the fuckin' man who they mention
Blazin' the shite that they're...blazin' the shite that they're drivin'
You're the fuckin' man who they mention,
Blazin' the stuff that you're drivin'' the base on.

SUPER SHARP SHITTER, SUPER SHIT!