Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

I've messaged the guy who took that photograph - just to see if I can either get a rough locale or even an address that I can write to.  

I'm looking at Harleston on Google Maps/Street View at the moment.

I've come to the conclusion that Harleston has loads - and I mean loads - of trees.

Guest Hooli

Ironically the rarest vehicle of all my fleet is the one least mentioned in these memoirs and, as thoughts turn to summer, it's about time to rectify that.

Today's episode is brought to you by the letter V.

V is for Versatile: (adjective - able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities.)
V is for Voluptuous: (adjective - curvaceous and sexually attractive. )

V is not for Viano, which is what we originally set out to buy.

It's Summer 2014.  The weather is surprisingly good; the soundtrack is suspiciously rapey (Robin Thicke.)  At this stage of my life, I had more children than cars - something I was hoping to rectify pretty swiftly.  After a near miss the year before we desperately wanted a fourth child, so set about the processes of both making one and being able to transport one (four).  

Me being me, I wanted to buy THE BIGGEST thing I could find, so we spent a weekend galavanting across the East of England looking at Extra LWB Mercedes Vianos. 

Jesus. 

They were all nearly 10 years old, all with lunar mileage, and all taxi'd to within an inch of their monochromatic lives.  The ones with lower mileages were also suspiciously worn in the luggage area, almost like they'd had suitcases chucked in and out all day, every day for the last decade.

It was time for a rethink.

I can't really remember how I happened across the Toyota Granvia, it was certainly not a car I'd heard of before.  I went to look at one at Chesham that was purple (good start) but had odd sized wheels, two Citroen wheel trims and a dealer who'd accidentally given the keys to a gentleman who'd bought a Toyota Previa the week before.  No matter.  This one wasn't for me, but the Granvia was.

I found a very promising one on Autotrader advertised for £2,200 in Norfolk.  I telephoned the land line to be greeted by an older chap who'd bought the van when it was imported about 10 years previous.  He used it to tow his caravan but had recently declared on that front, and I arranged to see it the very next day.  It was mintola inside and 90% perfect outside.  We took it for a quick spin, did a deal at £2000 and drove home in it the very same July afternoon. 

The first job was to tint the glass (more for security than any scene points, as the van doesn't have a designated boot area) 

A week later it would take us all to Norfolk and then Devon for one of the most memorable holidays we've all had together.

I laugh now, but I was absolutely terrified by the fuel efficiency to begin with.  SEVENTEEN MPG?  Then I had a eureka moment when in Devon whilst contemplating that I hadn't spent that much money on diesel for it to be 17mpg, and that my mathematics must be wrong.  I then realised that both the Speedo AND the ODO had been chipped and were counting miles - and it was actually scoring between 30 and 32mpg!

We love 'The Van'.  When we're in it, it means something's happening.  A family day out, day at the seaside, tip run, car collection, holiday, an adventure - whatever.  

Enough sentimentality.  I better post something that's vaguely helpful just in case you've never seen one in the flesh or even heard of them.  The Toyota Granvia is basically the bastard lovechild of a Hiace Powervan and the legendary Hilux.  It has the 3.0 turbo diesel engine from the 'Surf', and comes in either RWD or AWD flavour - mine of which is the former.  It is as tough as old boots, and a bastion of reliability.  Work the turbo and you can make excellent, if slightly noisy, progress - and it'll sit at three figures for hours.  Well, about 2 and a half hours when you'll then need to stop to fill the 70 litre tank up!

The seats are all on rails, and the second row rotates, meaning you have a limitless combination of arrangements.  The rear two rows also collapse to make a double bed - something I'm yet to take 'full advantage' of nudge nudge wink wink etc blah.

There are, from what I gather, about 500 on the road in the UK - all imported from Japan into Tilbury.  Most of the Granvias here now have been converted by Wellhouse Leisure™ into campers, so mine is reasonably rare as a standard 7 seater.

It's now 22 years old and, despite our collective best efforts as a family of 6, still looking great. Have some pictures taken last night.  The car has the odd mark here and there, all caused by yours truly and all part of the car's story with us.

Yep, I nudged the nearside corner on a bush. 

Aye, I reversed into my own trailer when it jack-knifed.  Long story.

If you're looking for a 'Day Van', something you can convert yourself to a camper or just a new 'Dingle Bus' - you honestly can't go wrong.  They are very easy to live with, easy to maintain and parts are simple to get because of the Hilux/Hiace running gear.  You also get a column shift auto and someone waving at you once a year when you see another one!

My immediate plans for it are to get the wheels refurbed in black (to match the limo tints) and get ANOTHER drop link replaced (it's a heavy old engine!)

I used to drive a non-turbot Hi-Ace van for work which that appears based on. One of the best things I've driven for going sideways for ages, it must be rather fun with a complete engine up front.

Much Hiace Powervan/Granvia love here, my ex-roofers van is now a comfy basic camper and I wouldn't be without it, I have the 2.4 non-turbo diesel in mine and would love a bit more power, plus another gear for motorway speeds (70 is its noisy comfort limit) but it's endlessly reliable and as with yours it has, and will continue to, provide some great trips and memories.  I do sometimes have impure thoughts about acquiring a Granvia but I've put too much in to mine now to let it go.

post-5492-0-60739800-1525897776_thumb.jpeg

I've built a bed in the back with storage, stuffed it with home-brew sound insulation which has worked extremely well, a slide-out cooker/food prep are at the back and a driver's seat out of a Mitsubishi Galant to replace the utterly ruined original.  The rust is eating it underneath but it was soaked with old engine oil at the last MOT so fingers crossed it'll do for a while yet.

Can't beat a 90s Toyota.

I've messaged the guy who took that photograph - just to see if I can either get a rough locale or even an address that I can write to.

I know exactly where that is. It’s round the corner from my old house. I took a photo of it a while back - it’s been sat since at least 1996.

BI - PM sent.

Grille on that looks mint. PEFECT PERIOD UPGRADE

There will be no upgrading (!)

In an ideal world, my stash of spare panels would include an offside rear quarter, a boot lid and a rear bumper.  The rear panel isn't too bad on the car, it just needs more filling and smoothing - but I'd like to have another spare.  The bumper still annoys me and the boot has a hole behind the rear numberplate.  This *could* be welded, but again it'd be good to have one ready to go.

Sadly, it would appear that this is an estate.  That means that everything behind the B panels is different.  Grrr.

I know exactly where that is. It’s round the corner from my old house. I took a photo of it a while back - it’s been sat since at least 1996.

BI - PM sent.

Looks like it has the smaller air intake in the front bumper, which makes it an early one, from the first two years of production.

Could be a July 1983 - late 1984 base or a launch - late 1984 L or GL.

Looks like it has the smaller air intake in the front bumper, which makes it an early one, from the first two years of production.

Could be a July 1983 - late 1984 base or a launch - late 1984 L or GL.

Your knowledge is impressive! Let’s hope it gets bought. Sadly I was quite young when it was taken off the road, so I can’t remember it driving around town.

I had to buy some number plates for the wife’s Fiat 500, so thought I’d indulge the Sierra at the same time.

I much prefer the front but, for some reason, not the rear. I can’t work it out - but it just seems to work a lot better in white and on the front than in yellow on the back. Nobody has quite replicated serck, and probably never will. It must be quite simple to do - having got an example of each character it’s just a case of using them to compose whatever is required. I guess the market is quite niche tho!

The back was always going to have to come off regardless; firstly to get a replica made with the special font, and secondly to get the rust sorted. I’ve learnt today that I will probably need to get some new plastic screws and nuts for next time, as they’ve become quite brittle.

Pics.

08463cc895071717cc672f141bddc82b.jpg

afaeeef3945015d99d3bc8385d665d8f.jpg

63449c13df42e867a2862727dde6d389.jpg

4c134ece26c9e428815c361fd02afc0c.jpg

Next job is to get the doors on. Funding cuts may mean that I’m running about with mismatched panels - something sure to delight the AS/WW massiv.

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly worrying development with the high mileage Avensis.  The coolant leak has been tracked down (ish) as there's a stream of crystalised coolant running right along the top of the fan shroud, and on the top of the radiator.  I'm pretty sure the only suspect here is the radiator cap, which I'm replacing later this week with a Gates™ item from eBay for £11.  I guess the big question is Y THO.  

The coolant looks to be clean enough, but the inside of the expansion bottle looks a bit grubby.  I wouldn't say it's oil stained, but it's definitely a bit dirty which was never the case before.  No trace of oil scent in the bottle, and no sign of mayo on the oil cap.

Could the whole thing be pressurising and therefore releasing water through the rad cap?  The whole set up is different to my Mercedes 190 (excuse my basic, Fisher Price understanding of stuff - i'm still learning) .  In the Mercedes if the expansion tank gets full - it spaffs out any extra through a small hose at the top of the expansion tank onto the ground.  Whereas the Avensis has a pipe at the top of the bottle that leads to the top of the radiator.  The only place I can see that coolant can escape from the Avensis plumbing is via the cap, but I don't know for sure.

If it's the worst case then, I have to say, it's a bit of a bugger.  Normally I'd be chucking some K-Seal in and moving it on, but I've just spent £400 having myriad jobs attended to so would like to keep on going with it.  The kids also love it, we've had it a long time and even my wife loves it.  Ultimately, it'll always get fixed - just not right now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all of your help (as always).

Novice Dan.

Could the rad be leaking along the seam between tank and matrix? Any excess pressure should dump into the expansion tank..Best get a pressure test before jumping to conclusions!

Could the rad be leaking along the seam between tank and matrix? Any excess pressure should dump into the expansion tank..Best get a pressure test before jumping to conclusions!

Good shout. I couldn’t see any clues as to where the leak may be starting - only evidence of crystallised coolant along the top.

Guest Hooli

Rad caps are sealed by springs to hold the right amount of pressure. I've known a few wear out where the spring gets weak and they leak when hot.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have mentally typed this message out several times now; each time making the decision to delete all and go off and do something else instead. However, I’ve sort of reached a fork in the road.

Realistically, I need to divert more funds and attention to my house. It’s in a lovely village, and in a lovely position, but it’s in desperate need of time and money. Having 5 cars is brilliantly hilarious until you get bitten on the arse by a couple of them at the same time - and then you’re not laughing. And whilst I’m trying to hang doors on a car, I really ought to be hanging paper on a wall.

We need two cars. The Granvia is one of them, and the 500c is the other. I can keep one more but everything else is a bit burdensome. It’s a frustrating position to be in, as selling cars involves the general public - it also takes time - and is one of my least favourite past times.

I’m not sure on what to do, just shooting the breeze really. But don’t be surprised IF a couple of ‘For Sale’ tags appear sooner rather than later.

FML.

The best outcome might be to sell the Mercedes to get some decent money, sell the Toyota to get that off the balance sheet and persevere with the Sierra as I've got an outhouse full of bits and have spent a good deal of money on it since last spring.  I just don't know atm, which is why I've been deep in deliberations with myself for a few weeks now.

My unsolicited tuppenceworth:

- sell the Mercedes, it's presumably worth the most of the trio up for the chop and should find a decent home. If you're unsure of hwat to do then I'd start with this.

- you do seem to enjoy the Sierra so I'd say keep, or potentially "lend" it to another 'shiter as above (I don't know how the ownership works on this, if still shared or not etc).

- I'd be tempted to sorn the Avensis and park it for a bit if you have room. If not, then sell. You've been thinking about parting with it for a while so perhaps you should bite the bullet. It'll be hard to see it go but you'll get over it. Sadly, the next owner will probably scrap it at the first sign of an issue but that won't be within your control.

Slightly worrying development with the high mileage Avensis.  The coolant leak has been tracked down (ish) as there's a stream of crystalised coolant running right along the top of the fan shroud, and on the top of the radiator.  I'm pretty sure the only suspect here is the radiator cap

I was wrong.  Doing a few more local miles in the car over the weekend made it deteriorate further, thus revealing itself.  The top part of the radiator (the plastic part between the radiator cap and the top hose) has a hairline crack in it.  When under pressure, it ejaculates a very fine stream of coolant straight at the exhaust - which caused the steam sessions I was enjoying enduring on the way home last week.  It's the original valeo radiator, so 19 years and 225,650 miles seems fair enough.  I'll get it replaced this week.

My concerns about the other cars really stem from guilt - guilt that I spaff money on something that I exclusively get enjoyment from, rather than all of us.  Whilst they're not costing much, they can stay.  If that starts to significantly change, then it'll be time for a change of direction.