Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Memoirs: Is the unbreakable actually breaking? #Sadreactsonly

Project

• Please log in to reply
1124 replies to this topic

#1111 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 4,072 posts
  • 49 thanks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:30 PM

I’ve noticed myself struggling to see in the old Avensis of late. Collecting an eBay purchase the other night was quite difficult at times; I put it down to it being a particularly dark night, every other motorist having new modern lights and me being absolutely knackered.

However.

The wife has just pulled out in it and the rear lamps are also notably darker than (I think) usual. The car runs well, and there are no current signs of any other maladies.

Thoughts? I’m immediately thinking that the alternator might be beginning it’s declaration. What’s the best way to test? Across the battery or at the bulbs?

Cheers for any help.
1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  236k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  186k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  97k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  154k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#1112 ONLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 5,648 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:35 PM

Engine running you want to see a good 14v across the battery.
Try turning some power hungry things on, hrw, headlights, heater blower and other things that might begin with h, see if the volts stay stable or plummet.
  • mrbenn likes this
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

Don't suffer in silence. Samaritans 116 123

#1113 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:35 PM

- Check across the battery first with the engine off to make sure that is ok, should be 12.6 - 12.8v ish if its fully charged.

- Start the car, should see around 14 volts or so across the terminals. Then put some load on it - heated window, headlights, heater and check the charge rate isn't falling off.

ETA: beaten to it!

• Timewaster likes this

#1114 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

• Full Members
  • 4,072 posts
  • 49 thanks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:37 PM

One other thing. The indicator stalk is on its way out. Indicating left requires a couple of attempts or a slow and purposeful pull.

Same stalk also turns on the lights.

Coincidence? I have a replacement ready to fit but I never cba to do it for reluctanfe to have an airbag go off in my face Alan Partridge style (!)
1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  236k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  186k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  97k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  154k|

#1115 ONLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 5,648 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:38 PM

- Check across the battery first with the engine off to make sure that is ok, should be 12.6 - 12.8v ish if its fully charged.

- Start the car, should see around 14 volts or so across the terminals. Then put some load on it - heated window, headlights, heater and check the charge rate isn't falling off.

I say great minds think alike.

My Mrs says fools seldom differ. :-)
  • mrbenn and BorniteIdentity like this
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

Don't suffer in silence. Samaritans 116 123

#1116 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:41 PM

One other thing. The indicator stalk is on its way out. Indicating left requires a couple of attempts or a slow and purposeful pull.

Same stalk also turns on the lights.

Coincidence? I have a replacement ready to fit but I never cba to do it for reluctanfe to have an airbag go off in my face Alan Partridge style (!)

I've had a knackered light stalk operate the headlamps but not the tail lights so I guess it's plausable!

Shouldn't need to disturb the airbag to fit a new stalk.

#1117 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

• Full Members
  • 4,072 posts
  • 49 thanks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:43 PM

I've had a knackered light stalk operate the headlamps but not the tail lights so I guess it's plausable!

Shouldn't need to disturb the airbag to fit a new stalk.

The wheel needs to come off. I even checked the internet and everything. Garage sadly confirmed.

No biggy. It will need going soon enough so I should just stop ignoring it tbh!

#1118 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:45 PM

The wheel needs to come off. I even checked the internet and everything. Garage sadly confirmed.

No biggy. It will need going soon enough so I should just stop ignoring it tbh!

Ah. That's a bugger.

#1119 ONLINE   Angrydicky

Angrydicky

• Full Members
  • 4,902 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationNorfolk/Suffolk border

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:17 PM

Blimey. Read the title and immediately thought the engine must have started knocking or smoking. To discover it was only a minor electrical fault pleased me no end.
You tease, you.
  • Ghosty and Hooli like this

Current fleet:

1935 Standard 12
1953 Austin A40 Somerset 
1958 Austin A55 Cambridge

1959 Austin A35 

1980 Vauxhall Royale 2.8 auto

1983 Ford Sierra 1.6 Base (1/5) 

1987 Austin Maestro 1.3L

1996 Renault Clio 'Nicole'

#1120 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

• Full Members
  • 4,072 posts
  • 49 thanks

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:25 PM

Blimey. Read the title and immediately thought the engine must have started knocking or smoking. To discover it was only a minor electrical fault pleased me no end.
You tease, you.

You know me XOXOXO

I think this is about as broken as they get tbh. Fog light stopped working in the week. “Meh - a bulb” I thought. Negative. Original bulb had just become dislodged. Back on the air immediately.
  • alf892 and egg like this

#1121 ONLINE   alf892

alf892

• Full Members
  • 2,193 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationNorthants

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:56 PM

For a better idea of what is going on measure the current being delivered......output voltage check not that reliable

#1122 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

• Full Members
  • 4,072 posts
  • 49 thanks

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:09 PM

Decided to have a go at fixing this bloody indicator stalk. YouTube indicated it was possible to do the job with the wheel still on - albeit on a Camry - so went for the kill.

Got the stalk off in about 5 minutes having accidentally obliterated one of the cowling clips. Meh. Not immediately clear why the last one is beginning to fail other than it being a bit sloppy. Plugged the new one in - boom! “And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.”

Then things got a bit Autoshite.

See. I didn’t realise this but - 14 months ago - I bought a stalk from a car sans front fog lights. Mine has front fog lights. The result is the front fogs are permanently on and unswitchable. Bollocks.

As I started to put the old one back on, I realised I’d rather have indicators than front fogs, so set about disabling them. Well - not them - it. The offside one has stopped working again. First I tried to unplug the working one but the undertray is stuck AF. Arse. Couldn’t get in from the top either because washer bottle.

Fuse!! Ah!!

Having spent 30 mins looking for my pliers, I ended up removing the 15a fuse with my wife’s tweezers!

Job jobbed. There are no correct parts on eBay so I’m looking for one whilst muddling along with this. It works - so it’ll probably be on there forever.
  • Angrydicky, somewhatfoolish, Squire_Dawson and 3 others like this

#1123 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

• Full Members
  • 4,072 posts
  • 49 thanks

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

I MIGHT* be guilty of overthinking things. I realised if the alternator was shit, it’d probably be flashing the battery light occasionally.

Checked tail bulbs.

4138B3C1-EFB0-4D3E-A836-FEB248F0DAD7.jpeg

This could potentially be a cause.

Gonna have a further think about the front light issues. Bulbs are relatively recent but they are on a fair bit. I might splash on 6 H7 osrams but if it still makes no difference then I’m down a fair few quid and not much wiser.

#1124 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:03 PM

How are the headlight lenses? Might benefit from a polish up.

#1125 OFFLINE   scdan4

scdan4

• Full Members
  • 678 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • Locationsunny swindon on sea

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:10 PM

Check the voltage at the bulb holder, might have a touch of corrosion somewhere and halogens brightness really dims down with a slight voltage drop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users