Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

Ladies and Gentlemen, of the Class of ‘83.

a52615afecaf0e5807364196d2af582a.jpg

2nd anniversary today. As I said in the main thread just yesterday, I simply wouldn’t be without it. Every journey out in it is an event, and nothing since has replicated the sheer enjoyment and humour of motoring.

However, the dent in that drivers’ door needs to FRO pretty soon. So that’s top of the list for this year.

e73037473126792edb61c30f2182ed17.jpg

The carburettor is fine when the car is warm, and I’ve calculated that Irish Dancing lessons are cheaper than a new Weber - so we’ll stick to RiverDance for now.

c3500784ea7980c05575a01b42365ad6.jpg

We turned a good few heads tonight. All middle aged men, all doing a full 180 degree turn. If you’re a woman in your 40s looking for a fella, scrap going out on a Friday night and get one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This group suits the car. All she wants is a Sierra bASe

There's a contractor who started working at my place last year called 'Ace'. He's got the unofficial nickname 'Ace of Base' by one of my colleagues. :-D

Totally addicted to bASs...probably doesn't work quite as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4VuN9EW9U

The video above has some Aussie sports / muscle car (?) action so it might appeal if the music doesn't

Ladies and Gentlemen, of the Class of ‘83.a52615afecaf0e5807364196d2af582a.jpg

2nd anniversary today. As I said in the main thread just yesterday, I simply wouldn’t be without it. Every journey out in it is an event, and nothing since has replicated the sheer enjoyment and humour of motoring.

However, the dent in that drivers’ door needs to FRO pretty soon. So that’s top of the list for this year.

*Cough* Tippers front plate whilst you’re at it...

Ladies and Gentlemen, of the Class of ‘83.

Bravo! :-)

*Cough* Tippers front plate whilst you’re at it...

Nope.  Never.  There's a guy on FB who will make an absolute replica of the original front plate - but the Tippers ones aren't correct, and don't look anything like what was on the car.  They're too good.

Looking lovely as always, such a special thing.

Is there a reason that there is no side repeater on the passenger side?

Yes.  When the wing was replaced, the dude didn't put the new repeater on because, in essence, they were on the shelf in my garage - and he was not.  The wiring is sat inside the wing, but I'm not absolutely sure they're a necessity for an MOT. (I'm about to look now).  If I can do away with both of them, then that's extra bASe points in my view.

Nope.  Never.  There's a guy on FB who will make an absolute replica of the original front plate - but the Tippers ones aren't correct, and don't look anything like what was on the car.  They're too good.

Oh. I thought they were highly regarded on here as producing some of the best replicas of a range of period plate types.

Maybe I was thinking of a different company.

Do you have a replacement drivers door for it?

I drove past the yard next door just a few moment ago and there's a stock pile of motors destined for the oval. One Sierra hatch and one east. Both later cars with the long nose bonnet.

Near hockliffe. I can pop and ask if you want.

Do you have a replacement drivers door for it?

I drove past the yard next door just a few moment ago and there's a stock pile of motors destined for the oval. One Sierra hatch and one east. Both later cars with the long nose bonnet.

Near hockliffe. I can pop and ask if you want.

I desperately need offside panels. MK1 is different to MK2 tho.

If you could ask that’d be mega!

And as the very reverend denim says, your man Pukka is...err... yer man.

I desperately need offside panels. MK1 is different to MK2 tho.

If you could ask that’d be mega!

And as the very reverend denim says, your man Pukka is...err... yer man.

Message stixy on here about sierra parts, if you want message me by pm and I can pass his number on, im sure he won't mind

Okay.

They both look stripped out when I went past. I assume doors are the same just wings are different? Couldn't seen any rub strips on the doors from the roadside.

Anything else you may be after?

There are hundreds of differences between mk1 and 2 sadly. Doors, wings and rear panels are all slightly different.

In other news, it was the day of reckoning for the Avensis. I agreed to sell it for £200 last month to a friend, but in the end the family gave me so much stick and guilt that it stayed.

I wasn’t really sure what to think TBH.

3e68e013c848d1dd78f36278de1a024d.jpg

e27871cb7c064bbb38c167c63575e32f.jpg

Never in doubt. 222,778 not out.

New pads and timing belt kit on Friday - onwards and upwards.

Got this back today.

75b1ad4d309613795c65c73ddfc4aa2b.jpg

Quietly, it’s moving from commonplace motoring to infrequently witnessed transport. Already, a week or two can pass without me seeing another one - and that will only continue over the coming years.

To complete 20,000 miles in the last 12 months it’s had 8 litres of oil, 4 plugs, 2 air filters and a headlight bulb. And that’s it! I’ve just invested £300 in a new timing belt kit, aux belt and water pump all fitted up - a set of front pads and off we go.

Right now, nobody gives a flying shit about this car - and that’s fine. But in 5 years hopefully it’ll be still here, and of more interest.

19 years old - 223,000 miles (Not Out)

Think you're right about mk1 avensis numbers, most local authorities have either a 10 or 15 year private hire age limit and the cabbed ones won't last more than an owner or 2 after being defleeted.

Rather like the Carina E before it, once they were every 5th car, now where are they?

Sounds like at least this one will be there at generic car event 2023 to make people go "ooh, remember those?"

Nice to see someone else on here actually attached in one way or another to their car. I was starting to get the feeling I was the only one.

Well, we had a wobble.  I wouldn't have advertised it for sale otherwise!  I guess all relationships are like that though... ups and downs.  What I have realised is having something utterly dependable is key to owning a money pit or two.  Petrol aside (and even that is a solid 38mpg) the car costs nothing to run.  Over the last 3 years it's had one bill a year - first year was a timing belt, second a full set of tyres, third a clutch.  Otherwise it's just service stuff.  I would imagine next years bill might be a head gasket, as there's a bit of coolant going somewhere.  That said, there's no sign of it in the filler cap or the expansion tank.