Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Memoirs: Granvia Seat is Fucking Fucked Mate. Help!

Project

• Please log in to reply
1483 replies to this topic

#1471 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 4,571 posts
  • 70 thanks

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:34 PM

Only just caught up with the Mini antics, bloody brilliant stuff. I occasionally have a dream where I find one of my parents cars now (usually my mums Peugeot 305 estate I learnt to drive in) but I imagine a half decent Mini has a better chance of survival than most models.

Once on the road, this would be a good one to bring to festival of the unexceptional - on the basis of the story alone the car would probably win the ‘people’s choice’ prize!

Hadn’t thought of that. To be honest I’m terribly humble about stuff and would feel quite uncomfortable winning an award that someone else deserved - but I would like to get it to FotU.

What I desperately need right now is money. Normally I would just spunk it in gay abandon onto the credit card, but with a bit of uncertainty around work right now I don’t want to get too deep too quickly. I’m desperately trying to avoid selling a car because 1. It’d have to be my w201 to make enough money to be worthwhile and 2. I’d probably never be able to get one as good at the price point. I also know that 3, in a few months, things have a habit of looking a lot better and then I’d just me mad af at myself!

I briefly considered a crowdfunding thing but, within seconds, decided it was vulgar and in poor taste. If you can’t afford something, or the repayments on something, then imho you don’t have it.
  • BeEP and Ohdearme like this

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  244k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  186k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  97k|   1984 Austin Mini.  58k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  154k|

#1472 OFFLINE   alf892

alf892

• Full Members
  • 2,238 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationNorthants

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

Fit a Mini seat
  • BorniteIdentity likes this

#1473 OFFLINE   GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus

Professionally Offended

• Full Members
  • 2,858 posts
  • 45 thanks
  • LocationGetting in the Sea

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:50 PM

The Mini isn't going to cost you any money sitting there (provided it doesn't dissolve!) so you can afford to take your time with it.  I know you know this but sometimes stating the obvious is a modus operandi.

• Ohdearme likes this

#1474 ONLINE   AnthonyG

AnthonyG

• Full Members
  • 3,474 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

Yeah, as long as it’s tucked up nice and dry somewhere it’ll be fine.

With regards to the Granvia, does the seat need to move much? Can you remove all the electric gubbins and just use the runners/bottom frame from a Hiace one or something?

#1475 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

• Full Members
  • 4,571 posts
  • 70 thanks

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:00 PM

Yo.

Been up the garage to fetch the paedobus. Having seen the seat base out, it’s a strange set up. One motor which spins a propellor that runs horizontally across the seat base, that spins a gear which moves the chair back and forth along what is a pair of very long threaded...errr... bolts effectively. The gear looks fooked.

Fortunately sticking a 12mm socket on the end of the bolt allows you to manually move the seat. I asked them to take it to the rear most position on both sides which, whilst slow, has worked. I now need to disconnect the switch before I accidentally lean on it!

In other news, got a shitty letter from DVLA. Completely forgot that a change of owner means you need to tax or sorn. In the excitement of purchasing the mini I neglected to attend to this. The exciting thing which, fortunately I thought of before doing the sorn process, is the DVLA website has now been updated. Previously it was just ‘car unknown’. Details were also sketchy as to when the car was last properly on the road. Wonder no longer.

E30E1DFD-5C5A-4216-8AE5-B013BFCABE03.jpeg

So it managed 15 years on the road before retiring for 20. Fantastic.

I’m thinking of organising a tinkering day at mine where we try and make some proper progress on both the Mini and The Sierra. Happy to put on a BBQ and lager beer if anyone is interested. Will wait until we have evening daylight tho.
  • LightBulbFun likes this

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  244k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  186k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  97k|   1984 Austin Mini.  58k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  154k|

#1476 ONLINE   Sheefag

Sheefag

Cisgender Prince of Wokeness

• Full Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationMother Superior at Our Lady Of The Perpetually Offended

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:05 PM

The cushioning on HiAce drivers seats has a habit of disintegrating. With the addition of a couple of bits of unistrut, you can fit pretty much any seat from any vehicle. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow if you think it may help.

2004 Lexus LS430

2004 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Tourer

2003 Toyota HiAce swb

2005 Chrysler Crossfire (Mrs S's Motor)

2014 Infiniti G37S (Mrs S's Motor)

#1477 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

• Full Members
  • 4,571 posts
  • 70 thanks

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:17 PM

The cushioning on HiAce drivers seats has a habit of disintegrating. With the addition of a couple of bits of unistrut, you can fit pretty much any seat from any vehicle. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow if you think it may help.

That’d be great, man. Much obliged. Long term we need something with a bit of the old ‘fore and aft’ because I’m 6’1 and my wife... isn’t.

#1478 OFFLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

Grange Hill's Sausage on a fork

• Full Members
  • 3,259 posts
  • 45 thanks
  • LocationSomewhere being your friend, Row-land

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

I’m thinking of organising a tinkering day at mine where we try and make some proper progress on both the Mini and The Sierra. Happy to put on a BBQ and lager beer if anyone is interested. Will wait until we have evening daylight tho.

Money and having working wheels at the time permitting, I'd be up to lend a hand.

Dream shite.

Talbot Sunbeam - Mini pref. 1275GT - Shove-it - Viva HC - Samba - Triumph Dolly - Triumph 2000 - Avenger - Pug 205 with a suitcase engine - AEC Mammoth Major - Hillman Hunter - Allegro - another Simca would be nice as well - Pug 309 with a Poissy engine - Routemaster

#1479 OFFLINE   NorfolkNWeigh

NorfolkNWeigh

• Full Members
  • 7,532 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:37 PM

That’d be great, man. Much obliged. Long term we need something with a bit of the old ‘fore and aft’ because I’m 6’1 and my wife... isn’t.

Have you considered obtaining a taller wife?

#1480 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

• Full Members
  • 4,571 posts
  • 70 thanks

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:38 PM

Have you considered obtaining a taller wife?

I’ve always gone for shorter girls. I think it’s because it makes my willy look bigger.
  • greengartside, loserone, Rusty_Rocket and 2 others like this

#1481 OFFLINE   barmatt

barmatt

• Full Members
  • 946 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationNorth Norfolk

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:57 PM

I'd be up for a bit of tinkering, be nice to see the mini getting some love and meeting the Sierra. I'm not averse to a burger either :D

#1482 ONLINE   Sheefag

Sheefag

Cisgender Prince of Wokeness

• Full Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationMother Superior at Our Lady Of The Perpetually Offended

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

I had to read that last bit twice.

• loserone and mrbenn like this

2004 Lexus LS430

2004 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Tourer

2003 Toyota HiAce swb

2005 Chrysler Crossfire (Mrs S's Motor)

2014 Infiniti G37S (Mrs S's Motor)

#1483 OFFLINE   Brodders

Brodders

• Full Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationStowmarket

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:43 PM

Consider me interested too. I am not great at mechanical stuff but an extra pair of hands might come in handy for something.

2001 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

2001 Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
1998 Vauxhall Omega 3.0 MV6
1968 Triumph 1300

#1484 OFFLINE   Rod/b

Rod/b

• Full Members
  • 1,848 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationUnder the bonnet

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:14 AM

Lager? I’m OUT.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users