Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

If you had a Pela 6000 you'd need not go under the car for an oil change. Just be thankful that the oil filter is in a really nice location while being on top! I've used these type before and they work well to crack them loose.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fp%2F21009678591%3Fiid%3D282893990111

My oil filter removal tool used to be a flat blade screwdriver through the carcass and then untwist...up until an attempt at this on a Mk2 Cav just peeled the can off and left me with an ungrippable flat disc that I had to rotate off bit by bit by with a chisel and many many gingerly soft twats of a hammer.

1)  Re-roof the garage properly with Roofing Felt/EPDM at quite some considerable cost (it's tandem in length)

I've (today) just roofed a 4m x 5m roof with EPDM, and it's not a hard job if that sways your decision. Life expectancy is supposed to be a lot better than felt, and I reckon the only difficult bit was lifting a 70kg roll onto the roof!

Don't worry. I managed to misjudge oil spurtage on the Matiz today, and that was indoors.

As for spark plug shenanigans, it must be a Toyota thing, because the Lexus ended up being an utter arse. First, you have to dismantle half the engine. Then, the rubber in my spark plug socket got stuck on one of the spark plugs. I'm not really sure how, but I ended up shoving this down the spark plug, to the point that I then couldn't get the socket on it. Of course, the spark plug is down a ruddy long tube into the head, so there's no access at all. It took the best part of an hour to get the sodding thing out. My now-knackered socket wouldn't then lift any spark plugs out once they were free, so that was a ballache. As was trying to refit the spark plugs - I ended up having to use a spare HT lead but it was still like trying to pleasure a lady with a sex toy on the end of a fishing rod. From outside the house through the bedroom window.

So yes, cars are arses and it definitely isn't us.

I sympathise with the garage roof. I have one similar.

I find felt doesn't last long and am considering corrugated sheeting for mine.

Are you sure your roof will stand the weight of those concrete blocks?

Glassfibre roofing is my favourite. A few sheets of osb board and some roofing glassfibre. Save your large milk cartons to chop the bottom off for mixing tubs and tell your flat roofer @£250 per sq m to FRO. I would do that in four full width sections.

If you had a Pela 6000 you'd need not go under the car for an oil change. J

On the contrary.  I have one and have done the Avensis with it before.  At the exact point that I had "finished" I climbed under the car to release the last tea spoon or two.  There was about 1/2 a litre still in there.  Unsatisfactory IMHO, so I haven't bothered with it again!!

It's times like this that I'm glad that the oil filter on my Golf is vertically mounted in front of the engine, with plenty of space around it

I much prefer the front facing oil filter - much preferable to being on your back looking up in the pitch black hoping not to get an eye socket full of red hot oil and swarf.

Sorry, but I’ve always pictured you as your avatar- a genial middle aged tv presenter. Now feeling discombobulated!

Face for radio man.

Are you sure your roof will stand the weight of those concrete blocks?

I'll let you know in a few months (!)  In all seriousness, we used the same blocks for the last 3 years and...touch wood... no disaster yet.  I wouldn't rule anything out with this house tho.  It's spiteful.

like trying to pleasure a lady with a sex toy on the end of a fishing rod. From outside the house through the bedroom window.

Weirdest boner ever right now.

On the contrary.  I have one and have done the Avensis with it before.  At the exact point that I had "finished" I climbed under the car to release the last tea spoon or two.  There was about 1/2 a litre still in there.  Unsatisfactory IMHO, so I haven't bothered with it again!!

I much prefer the front facing oil filter - much preferable to being on your back looking up in the pitch black hoping not to get an eye socket full of red hot oil and swarf.

Face for radio man.

I'll let you know in a few months (!)  In all seriousness, we used the same blocks for the last 3 years and...touch wood... no disaster yet.  I wouldn't rule anything out with this house tho.  It's spiteful.

Weirdest boner ever right now.

Nice to see the Sierra. I haven't read the whole thread, how come its got no engine at the minute?

Nice to see the Sierra. I haven't read the whole thread, how come its got no engine at the minute?

MPG's plummeted to unsatisfactory and unhealthy levels.*  The man from the ministry took a dim view, although he didn't have much of a view owing to the workshop being full of blue smoke.  The initial plan was just to source another head and carry on regardless, but the one we got was incorrect and I'd like the original engine to stay with the car.  So it's now waiting my wallet to recover!

*oil

I feel your pain RE stuff lodged down the plug recesses... I used to loose the rubber insert from my spark plug socket all the bloody time when I had Mazdas. The Answer I've found is create a couple of 8"  straight lengths of wire coat hanger with a tiny hook bent into each end, torch in mouth it's pretty easy to lean over/place one either side of the plug and pry stuff off and out.

In the end I glued the rubber inserts into all of my spark plug sockets but recently had to use the coat hanger pick set after changing the coil packs on my brothers CorsaD after finding that the old ones either left the bottom inch stuck on the plugs or disintegrated completely (TADTS), again the coat hanger pick set worked well.

For the oil spill, my drive is a similar brick paved affair and I find putting down cheap washing up liquid then tipping bio washing powder on top before scrubbing it in with a stiff hand-brush so it becomes a paste lifts it out even when it's come from diesel cars with the blackest oil imaginable, I'll often leave it there for a week before hosing it off!

On the garage roof, could you add some shallow timber trusses/rafters to give it a bit of a slope? You could then use Onduline or similar corrugated sheets, they're dead easy to fix and work with.

My garage and big shed have that on, they both seem OK. Mine have a solid layer of board underneath them, which makes future access easier (like when I had to replace some of the original ridge pieces, which must have been 15-20 years old).

On the garage roof, could you add some shallow timber trusses/rafters to give it a bit of a slope? You could then use Onduline or similar corrugated sheets, they're dead easy to fix and work with.

My garage and big shed have that on, they both seem OK. Mine have a solid layer of board underneath them, which makes future access easier (like when I had to replace some of the original ridge pieces, which must have been 15-20 years old).

It's very difficult to see, but the roof is actually sloped.  The front aspect gives the impression that it's level- but that 'line' is actually about 8" above the asbestos surface and it probably sopes about 12" over the 11ft width - left to right. The timbers need replacing though as they're rotten, so I might just go this way anyway.  Thanks for the idea champ!

Many moons ago I had a telescopic magnet (it looked like an aerial) which I found was a lifesaver when getting plugs out, as I had the same dilemma too.

Same way I always do mine.

I've just agreed to buy a car.  I think it's fair to say that I've done it the Autoshite way, but only you (The Gods) can judge me.

1. Purchased Blind.  It appeared online, I telephoned the man - asked precisely no questions about the car 
  2. I asked him how much he'd like, and agreed without question.
  3. It's Base.  By that I mean bASe.  And by that, it arguably makes the Sierra look plush.
  4. It's fucked.  Hasn't seen the Queen's highway in approximately 16 years.

And yet, I'm so excited that I genuinely cried on the phone.  There I was, talking to a guy I've never met, blubbing.  Both at the car's story - and his.  Until today, I have never once believed in fate.  

This story is to be continued, and I genuinely hope you like it.  Once the job's done, I have a couple of die hard ASers to thank properly.  If this comes off, and I have no reason to believe it won't, I will be a very very busy, and very very happy 9 year old.

Sooon.

I've just agreed to buy a car.  I think it's fair to say that I've done it the Autoshite way, but only you (The Gods) can judge me.

1. Purchased Blind.  It appeared online, I telephoned the man - asked precisely no questions about the car 
  2. I asked him how much he'd like, and agreed without question.
  3. It's Base.  By that I mean bASe.  And by that, it arguably makes the Sierra look plush.
  4. It's fucked.  Hasn't seen the Queen's highway in approximately 16 years.

And yet, I'm so excited that I genuinely cried on the phone.  There I was, talking to a guy I've never met, blubbing.  Both at the car's story - and his.  Until today, I have never once believed in fate.  

This story is to be continued, and I genuinely hope you like it.  Once the job's done, I have a couple of die hard ASers to thank properly.  If this comes off, and I have no reason to believe it won't, I will be a very very busy, and very very happy 9 year old.

Sooon.

You got your 205? in 1.0 GE or XE spec?

Better be a base Lonsdale or I'll be dissapointed

Sorry to disappoint you (!)

I think it's AS material.  The emphasis on  and not think.  But it's more about the story than the car.  My chum's taking the deposit around as we speak, and hopefully we have a happy ending in the next week.  

By ending I mean beginning.  It's only just starting...