Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

The current bumper is 100% from a low spec Nissan Sunny N13. After someone suggested that was what it was from, I googled it and have now confirmed it, as there's a very tidy K reg saloon in red near me, with the exact same bumper as the BASE. The higher-spec ones had body coloured ones I believe.

I'm taking the Sierra along to the Earls Barton Classic Car Meet tonight.  I think it was Jifflemon who suggested that the car needs an information card, so I've written a little something to take along.

Thoughts?  I think it fits the spirit of the car and this website well.

Hello.

I know.  

At first glance, it looks like I don’t belong here.  

I’m acutely aware that I stand out like the proverbial Fart in a Lift, and that my best days are probably behind me.  I know my wheels are small and my appeal smaller - that my rear bumper is from a Nissan and that the dent in my side makes you wince.  I’ve heard it all before.

However, as the most unremarkable car here, my story is anything but.  I think it’s worthy of being told.

Far from being a cherished garage queen, I’ve spent the majority of my life ‘earning my keep’.  Among other things, I’ve been a taxi, a decorators van and transport to an evangelical church on a Sunday.  My previous owner didn’t maintain me, more ‘sustain’ me.  (My windscreen wiper mechanism used to feature a dishcloth from the kitchen, and I’ve only got two matching wheels.)  What is miraculous though, is that I still exist.

A bit like the demise of “The Corrs”, nobody can quite put their finger on the exact moment that all Ford Sierras disappeared from the roadside. Gradually though, they did - only to reappear years later as callously ‘improved’ Cosworth replicas or as Rumbelows Fridge Freezers.  

However, something extraordinary happened to me.

Nothing. I just kept on being used.  Driven as intended.  I’ve aged gracefully without interference or improvement, and have been ‘just a car’ for nearly 35 years now.    

As I gently slipped from middle to old age, something else happened.  People would come to see me.  Not at shows or in museums, but at the side of an anonymous looking road in Clapton, North London.  People would travel miles - just to see ME!  I know right?! Madness.

If this is the first time you’ve seen one like me, here’s my Curriculum Vitae:

• 1.6 pinto with (count them) 4 gears

• No radio

• No cigarette lighter

• No headrests

• No rear windscreen wiper

• No intermittent front wipers

• No clock

• No central locking

• No electric windows

• No rev counter

• No wheel trims (just hub caps)

• No body mouldings or rubbing strips

• No rear seat belts

And of course I have the iconic

• Grey grille

• Dangly mirrors

I am the absolute antithesis of the Ford Sierra Cosworth.  Everything IT is, I am not. In reality, the Ford Sierra Base had the accolade of being both unloved by the buying public AND the dealers who tried to sell us.  I was rare then, and I’m unheard of now.

In 2016 I was purchased by a consortium of masochists from the Autoshi*e car forum, in order to be saved from an uncertain future.  I have had considerable work done recently in order to secure my viability for the future, none of which has or ever will be cosmetic.  Please rest assured that, whilst looking a bit worse for wear, I am loved dearly by my new owner.  You can follow my (lack of) progress at https://sierrabase.wordpress.com

I am now enjoying my retirement in leafy and salubrious Cambridgeshire, a far cry from the rough and tumble of North London.

As my owner always says, “I am what I am”.  A forgotten curiosity of the 1980s.  Think of me as white dog poo; just a bit more enjoyable to step into.  (Only by a fine margin).

Brilliant.

I read this to myself and it made me smile, having seen only one grey nose, dangly mirror Sierra in real life. And that was 20 years ago.

I re read it to my other half in the style it was written and a tear did actually run down my face, thinking that this was the last of it's kind in the UK and what this car has been through to get this far.

Mrs TRW, not a petrolhead said she liked the 'Cars story' and 'It show's that it has done it's purpose in it's life, it has been a good companion to it's owners'

16/10 WULD READ RGAIN

Brilliant.

I read this to myself and it made me smile, having seen only one grey nose, dangly mirror Sierra in real life. And that was 20 years ago.

I re read it to my other half in the style it was written and a tear did actually run down my face, thinking that this was the last of it's kind in the UK and what this car has been through to get this far.

Mrs TRW, not a petrolhead said she liked the 'Cars story' and 'It show's that it has done it's purpose in it's life, it has been a good companion to it's owners'

16/10 WULD READ RGAIN

Bless you.  I'm very fond of the old thing, and it's completely irreplaceable.  It's with that in mind that some strategic improvements are being made for the greater good.

How did you get on at the show? Much interest?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Yes. The biography got a lot of laughs. An awful lot. I think giving some context to the car really helps people to "get it".

I also realised something else. Dads, in the eyes of their daughters, are the ultimate superheroes. The man to which no other male will ever compare. Every Dad had a Sierra, so every girl in her 30s looks whistfully at the car, and feels warm inside.

I'm almost certain that this will inevitably lead to ME feeling the warm insides of at least one of these gERRR....

Yes. It went down well. It still looks shit, mind - but maybe not for long. Parcel Farce made a delivery earlier....

865ccfeb3b6a35595992e86f806bb9b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hmmm.  This is frustrating.

I'm trying to get the bASe wheels fitted up this week in time for the Festival of the Unexceptional.  I paid £55 for proper bo 195/65/15 tyres a few months ago - so assumed that about £30 a corner would get something for 165/80/13. 

Incorrect.

They seem to be about the same price!  I guess the sidewalls are made of rubber, but it's a mental block I'm struggling to clear.  I know about part worns, and how they're probably in keeping with the ethos of the car.  That said, the previous owner doesn't ever have to drive it again.  I do.

Any left field suggestions for suppliers/fitters?

google the tyre size and it gets lots of options from £28 delivered

It's £12.50 a corner around these hideously expensive parts. So you're at £40 for something that comes with a "write your own will starter pack".

I'm not famously mingebag. Especially with tyres. But there just seems to be a bit of a disconnect.

Was supposed to be going to the Festival of the Unexceptional tomorrow. No longer actually have a car to go in.

So pissed that I can't even be arsed to copy the post over from the blog. It's there if you want it.

I'm off to get sensationally drunk and sleep in my own urine.

As you attempt to reach temporary oblivion remember this; a well-balanced man has a drink in both hands. I was about to say it's all nice and straight and therefore not shite anymore, but the jaunty angle at which the Nis rear bumper was dangling revealed its true shitey nature. No buts, it's got to be bASe. Any progress on tracking down a gen-you-wine bumper?

As you attempt to reach temporary oblivion remember this; a well-balanced man has a drink in both hands. I was about to say it's all nice and straight and therefore not shite anymore, but the jaunty angle at which the Nis rear bumper was dangling revealed its true shitey nature. No buts, it's got to be bASe. Any progress on tracking down a gen-you-wine bumper?

Nope. I won't bother this year now either. Come September there's little on anyway, and before you know it winter's here.

This Laser is being broken in St. Neots...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sierra-1-6-laser-breaking-mk1-/222554257466?hash=item33d144783a:g:f8EAAOSwV0RXsMbr

Doesn't seem to have bumpers on the car but may be worth asking?

I've met the guy and had a wheel off him. Sadly, other than door cards, he has nothing of interest left.

Thanks for looking though. Appreciated.

The Sierra bASe is now about 27.6% nice now the front wing and rear quarter have been replaced, the doors lovingly tapped about and the whole side repainted.

Do you hate me?

More pics coming in the blog later.

2329a84f1fa78bc0d2c53c64a5fb8ed9.jpg

The Sierra bASe is now about 27.6% nice now the front wing and rear quarter have been replaced, the doors lovingly tapped about and the whole side repainted.

Do you hate me?

More pics coming in the blog later.2329a84f1fa78bc0d2c53c64a5fb8ed9.jpg

Hate you pah, I love you for it, keep going now and make the rest of it as lovely it deserves it because its as rare as an 30 year old Essex girl whos still a virgin