Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder - Sierra bASe fail.

Project

• Please log in to reply
974 replies to this topic

#961 OFFLINE   greengartside

greengartside

• Full Members
  • 1,617 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationDenis Norden's drip.

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:27 AM

87f3cfeb8d6a4e594f1381e6e3f93cae.jpg

This is being broken at the moment, it’s the guy who has the older Ford breakers at Red Lodge near Newmarket.
  • oldcars and BorniteIdentity like this

2006 Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi XP - Rocket Machine.

'George Michael looking lovingly at a giant glass arse plug'  

#962 OFFLINE   Angrydicky

Angrydicky

• Full Members
  • 4,770 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:55 AM

Probably worth spending half an hour gunking down the engine and drying it all off before resubmitting. I'd be inclined to put 20w50 in it instead of 10w40, it's a bit thicker and is ideal for older high mileage eighties stuff once they're starting to leak and burn oil.

The rear lights seem like nitpicking, though there was at least one spare light somewhere so it might be worth digging those out and seeing if you can make a matching pair.

The emissions will be that bloody awful autochoke carb. It desperately needs a Cortina style Weber with manual choke now it's no longer functioning properly. Might be able to scrape it through with a new air filter and a bottle of Redex in the tank (and an Italian tuneup) but it's not ideal.

Impressed that my exhaust silencer bodge has lasted another year though.

• Parky, danthecapriman, Skizzer and 3 others like this

Current fleet:

1935 Standard 12
1953 Austin A40 Somerset 
1958 Austin A55 Cambridge

1959 Austin A35 

1980 Vauxhall Royale 2.8 auto

1983 Ford Sierra 1.6 Base (1/5) 

1987 Austin Maestro 1.3L

#963 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,999 posts
  • 41 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:11 AM

What Ad said,
The emissions issue was why I ditched the VV on my Transit in the end. Try as I might I couldn’t ever set the original VV up enough that it’d both give acceptable emissions and idle/run sweetly and consistently. It’d work ok at best then the next time you used it the idle would be up and down again or it’d stink over rich again.
In the end I found it easier and better overall to just remove it entirely and buy a new Weber conversion kit. The Pinto kit with the single choke carb isn’t that expensive and they work very very well and are a piece of piss to fit and tune up. It now runs better than it ever has done and the emissions are always good too.
I swapped mine from auto choke (on the VV) to manual choke on the the Weber so I had to alter a couple of the coolant hoses afterwards and fit the new choke cable and handle but it’s easy.
I’ve kept the VV still, just incase, but I’ve got no intentions of refitting now tbh. Realistically all it needs is a good clean and rebuild kit as it’s a very low mileage carb and it’d be fine but I’ve had the same type Weber on my Capri for years and they are really good so for the cost I went with that.

If you do try to adjust your VV some of them do have anti tamper plugs fitted over the adjustment screws which you’d need to remove. Mine did!

Saying that though, if you want my old VV for parts or to replace yours your welcome to it for free...
  • BorniteIdentity likes this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#964 OFFLINE   DeeJay

DeeJay

• Full Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

The plan, as vague as it is, is to do the rocker box gasket (again) get a pair of clusters from a scrappy, do the oil and plugs and hope for the best.

Check rocker box isn't twisted/distorted through enthusiastic tightening. 

#965 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 8,084 posts
  • 64 thanks

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:46 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018062...

This is being broken at the moment, it’s the guy who has the older Ford breakers at Red Lodge near Newmarket.

Doesn't look too shabby that. I'm sure there's plenty worse in hedgerows that would be suitable for breaking.

#966 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 9,931 posts
  • 109 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

What part of the emissions did it fail on out of interest?

ah, ok just checked

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content excessive 

Monoxide is incomplete combustion as I understand it. So aye rich or crap/badly set plugs could be the cause.

#967 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

Psh, just going a red coated bulb in the lamp for now, externally they look fine. That's gotta be cheaper than replacement clusters? So long as the reflectors are red, it's only up to the lamp to illuminate the correct color for its function.

Phil
  • Angrydicky and BorniteIdentity like this
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

#968 ONLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 3,528 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

Yep, doesn't seem too bad. If money is tight, park it up for a while. It won't get any worse* whilst you get the house sorted! Anywhere it can sit sorn for a while?

In my garage. But it won’t be visible to all at FotU from there!

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  225k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  185k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  96k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  154k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#969 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 1,076 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:30 PM

Whereabouts are you?

Someone in your neck of the woods might be able to suggest an MOT testing station who live more in the real world and understand the rules properly.

Two Wrestlers Garage over in Newport Pagnell do all that lot for me now.

Didn't even charge me for the retest on the Lada last time despite having been off site for well over ten days while I got to the bottom of my emissions issues.
Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate. 1973 & 1975 AC Model 70s. 1985 Sinclair C5.

#970 ONLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Reliable Renault

• Full Members
  • 13,759 posts
  • 40 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:57 PM

In my garage. But it won’t be visible to all at FotU from there!

Oh I see, that does complicate matters! Best do what Mr Dicky said and gunk the engine bay, twiddle the car so it passes the test then fiddle it back so it doesn't run like shit, bang any legal light cluster on for the test and worry about it properly later!
2001 Gooner2 Ph1 1.9Dci Expression (His)
2008 orl Vauxhalls r Shit Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#971 OFFLINE   richardmorris

richardmorris

• Full Members
  • 6,118 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:14 PM

Pressure wash and autoglym engine gunk the lot and it won’t have chance to drip during the test.
  • Mercedes E320 coupé
  • Fiat X1/9
  • Citroën 2CV6

#972 OFFLINE   Isaac Hunt

Isaac Hunt

• Full Members
  • 424 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:20 PM

No.
In fact, whilst everything is liberally coated in 10w40 - very little of it actually drops.

I’m annoyed not at the tester,

I'd be fekkin annoyed with him, tbh, same the world over, give certain men a badge of power and they become very official.

So you've coated the underside of the car with old engine oil to preserve the structure, and age old method. If it din't drip on the floor whilst in there it ain't a leak, certainly not a serious leak.

#973 ONLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 3,528 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

I'd be fekkin annoyed with him, tbh, same the world over, give certain men a badge of power and they become very official.

So you've coated the underside of the car with old engine oil to preserve the structure, and age old method. If it din't drip on the floor whilst in there it ain't a leak, certainly not a serious leak.

Meh. I think there’s a great danger that the afternoon’s events end up overblown. The tester did everything he felt he could; not failing the missing headlight bulb included. However, there has clearly been a misunderstanding with regards to the oil leak (of which it is, undeniably, a leak). I think I would be able to argue the toss on that front almost immediately . However. there is also a very apparent difference between the colour of the two brake lights, and the emissions are too high.

I’m forming a plan at the moment, but it involves spending money I simply don’t have - which is frustrating. So for the time being I’ll be doing nothing, and look to get the oil, filters and plugs done when time allows. If I can sneak a pass next month then great, if not I’ll need to save up for a Weber at £200.

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  225k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  185k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  96k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  154k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#974 OFFLINE   lisbon_road

lisbon_road

• Full Members
  • 1,360 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

My MOT tester told me recently that there has been a really large number of changes put through at the same time.  He said he's no issue with the changes in general, but the number of changes in one go makes it hard to keep up.  He's quite kind to me but always fails stuff like cut out DPFs.

Fine old car, good luck sorting it.

#975 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:25 PM

I put red Osram LED "bulbs" in mine for similar reasons. 1) picked them because they have a very similar light output on tail versus brake as a 5/21W lamp, double benefit 2) the light they emit is already the correct color.

Made my brake lights go from a sun-faded orangey red to a nice deep crimson red.

Unless retrofit LED bulbs are a fail.. isn't red tape over a lamp still a pass?
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users