Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

Mrs Dougs radiator on her A140 had a hairline crack on the plastic. Fixed it with a soldering iron, lasted years. Might be worth a try.

That’s brilliant. I did eye it up and down and think about a solution* like Araldite, but this car really does need to be turn key. If I start cutting corners on minor issues like this, it will end appallingly.

Next job is to swap the water pump over on the Sierra for the new one I bought at Christmas - and to try and get the replacement doors on.

I went out in the Sierra last night for absolutely no good reason at all, other than just having a drive.  This, with my rampant hayfever, turned into a 60mph sneezing fit, but was enjoyable nonetheless.

Completely by accident, I found myself northbound on the A1, sun streaming directly into my already streaming eyes, and heading for Wyboston.  Did I ever tell you about the time I bought a Rover 75 and the head gasket let go whilst we were doing the v5?  Well I thought I'd see if that garage was still trading, and investigate the old rammle they now deem appropriate conveyances for the masses.  Driving through the village, I noticed just how much development was ongoing; new houses cropping up on both sides of the road.  Sadly, the shitty old place where that Rover was bought and sold within the space of 3 minutes appeared to be lost forever.

With a heavy heart, I ploughed on through single track lanes to the tiny village of Staploe.  Well, truth be told, I actually missed the turn and ended up in a smaller village called Bushmead; famous for absolutely nothing.  In fact, the only thing worthy of note is its proximity to RAF Thurleigh where, until quite recently, the airstrip was covered in cars bought during the 'Government Scrappage Scheme'.  

(library images for reference)

1370959_ebc4a7c0b93b5f8b897ecd4063d8e02c

1370970_00f0ca3a7736663127d9af93a4775b00

1370978_61162cfc0a55bcedfc3d589e02dfadee

I know it's very 'on message' and 'on brand' to rant angrily about 'all dem classics', but it does make me a bit sad.  So with double disappointment now in my heart, I found Staploe.  I was last here back in 2016 for my sister-in-law's wedding, and I remembered seeing something of interest at the side of the road.  Another repurposed English icon, resplendent in red.  

We had to meet.

post-19618-0-62451000-1528781398_thumb.jpg

The reason I remembered it from last year, is it's new raison d'etre.

post-19618-0-68602300-1528781532_thumb.jpg

Sadly, there was nothing in there of particular interest apart from a book that I already own.  Seeing as it's one of my favourite travel books of all time, with added cricket content, I decided I'd part with it for 20 pence and look to pass it onto someone on here with similar tastes.

post-19618-0-81006900-1528781630_thumb.jpeg

What was supposed to be a quick spin ended up in a glorious 30 mile jolly across the Cambridgeshire/Bedfordshire landscape at 'Golden Hour'.  I probably should have taken some more photographs but I'd already got lost, had 3% battery left and my wife was wondering where I'd disappeared to.  Oh, and the car is also caked in bird shit.

However, an ancient local by-law still dictates that 'though must photograph thine motor-conveyance in Bushmead Tunnel'.

post-19618-0-98569000-1528782344_thumb.jpg

post-19618-0-95434000-1528782351_thumb.jpg

The Sierra felt in good tune today.  Sometimes the choke works, sometimes it's Riverdance™.  Meh.  In fact we were absolutely flying on the road between St Neots and Chawston, so I thought I'd see just how brisk 0-60 is (a laughable 19 seconds, but that's not what it's about.)  The novelty of changing up to 5th gear, only to put it back into 4th as no such gear exists never wears off.  It's also amusing to come to a 50 mph sign at the end of a national speed limit stretch, ease off the accelerator, only to find you were already doing 45 anyway.  

I really do need to give it a good wash, and try and work out WTF to do with these doors I've got.  The rear will be simple enough (just a case of getting off the unwanted trim and mouldings) but the front, being wired for electric windows, is going to be a world of pain.

Any volunteers welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

MOT Day for the Sierra bASe. I knew I’d be in for a fail immediately because a very original looking H4 headlight bulb had blown. I picked one up earlier today and attempted fitting. 20 mins later I declared and thought I’d ask the garage to fit it before the test.

I was absolutely convinced I’d get a pass, firstly because last year’s only advisory has been addresssed and secondly we’ve only done 1300 miles in a year. So convinced of a pass was I, that I didn’t think twice for chucking four gallons of fuel in it enroute (after all, who wants a fail because the car broke down mid-test?!)

The clip for the old headlamp got dropped and ended up in the fucking lamp. Kill me now!!1!

post-19618-0-77490500-1529696330_thumb.jpeg

When I arrived at the garage, the owner’s Father ( a wonderful man) declares there are two types of H4 bulb, and I need the older style. He calls for one to be delivered which arrives within 30 minutes.

Despite my huge optimism, the car has failed.

There is a fairly spectacular oil leak. This has kept the car in alarmingly good condition for the last 35 years, but the ministry now declares this a hazard to other road users.

The emissions are a smidge out. The jury is out on this one; the garage owner is hopeful that oil and plugs will tickle it down, but my trusted hero (Alf892) is sceptical.

I also need to get a matching pair of rear lenses, as one stop lamp is notably whiter than the other.

Minor advisories include a slight leak of the rear diff. This is a weep just now, but could do with being addressed.

I’m cynical about the 40 year MOT exemption being a good idea. 1978 cars are more than capable of being driven a substantial distance each year, now without the green light from the Ministry of Transport. However, on the flip side, I’m not sure my car really constitutes a legitimate fail. It doesn’t really leak oil as you go - only when parked. The emissions are less than 1% adrift too.

Still, it is what it is.

The plan, as vague as it is, is to do the rocker box gasket (again) get a pair of clusters from a scrappy, do the oil and plugs and hope for the best.

I’ve also got the paintman ready to do the doors.

Gutted TBH, because I’m not rolling in cash at the moment. Still, what can you do? (Put it away for 5 years and then drive off having done nothing?!!1!

post-19618-0-16879700-1529696983_thumb.jpeg

post-19618-0-96894600-1529697025_thumb.jpeg

post-19618-0-69156500-1529697077_thumb.jpeg

What part of the emissions did it fail on out of interest?

ah, ok just checked

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content excessive

All you’re hydrocarbons are belong to us/atmosphere.

Could just be a mixture issue. I’ve long suspected it runs rich AF, and this might just be a clear indicator. Really, that VV carb needs to fuck off, and then fuck off a bit further - but money is tight as I’m piling thousands into our house atm. Alf892 is up for a bit of tuning soon, so we’ll have to hope we can get it somewhere closer to the mark.

Could just be a mixture issue.

Very very likely. Excessive CO is rich mixture. I know the square root of fuck all about ford VV carburettors (other than they are utter shit and stay in tune for about three prods of the accelerator after being set up) but I'm assuming there must be an idle mixture adjustment somewhere?

I'm surprised the Oil leak is a fail. The criteria for oil leak fails are really very leniant.. IIRC it's a 75mm puddle in 5 minutes or something like that, which is a cocking massive leak, and you'd be out of oil in the sump within a short period of time with a leak like that!

Yes its 75mm puddle in the floor within 5 minutes.

From what I have read elsewhere, it appears that some testers have not understood the new regulations yet. Is the leak really that bad?

No.

In fact, whilst everything is liberally coated in 10w40 - very little of it actually drops. I doubt in the half and hour it was over the pit that it actually soiled the ground at all.

I think I will clean it up as best as possible (god knows how) get the rear lamps sorted, try and get those emmisons down and present it back.

I’m annoyed not at the tester, but with the guy at my regular garage. They don’t like to be too busy at all, and couldn’t see me for an MOT for over two weeks. They literally do one or two jobs a day and that is it. I think they’re winding down tbh.

some testers have not understood the new regulations yet.

This is guaranteed to be true, as some testers don't even understand existing regulations, never mind new ones. Case in point with Mrs. T's old Bling. Presented it for test and the tester failed it on an inoperative Airbag lamp, which is NOT a fail. It's a fail if the lamp incates a fault, but if it's completely inoperative (which it was) then this is advisory only. (as it cannot indicate a fault if the lamp itself does not work)

Gently suggested to him that this might be the case. He said no, "Same as the ABS innit? Lamp has to come on" So I went to the .GOV website, printed off the relevant part of the MOT testers guidance and presented it back to him, which he begrudgingly accepted, and then like a petulent child decided to charge me a full re-test fee as I'd taken the vehicle away from the test centre.

Wanker. Won't be going back there ever.

Those emissions aren’t too bad. A new air filter, plug clean, blast of fuel system cleaner and a really hard ragging just before the test might, might just bring those numbers down a tad. Maybe enough to scrape through. I like carbs but at times like this they can be hateful things.

Oil leak is a bummer though, tester definitely sounds a bit too harsh but at least getting a pass from someone like that gives you some peace of mind that the car is very roadworthy. Local place to me years ago had a tester called “The Beast”. His name was Reg Spry and a pass from him was like an endorsement from royalty.

Keep it up though, remember this is an appreciating asset, don’t throw in the towel on it too soon. Wait until some mentalist Japanese businessman offers you £40k and then think about it...

Probably worth spending half an hour gunking down the engine and drying it all off before resubmitting. I'd be inclined to put 20w50 in it instead of 10w40, it's a bit thicker and is ideal for older high mileage eighties stuff once they're starting to leak and burn oil.

The rear lights seem like nitpicking, though there was at least one spare light somewhere so it might be worth digging those out and seeing if you can make a matching pair.

The emissions will be that bloody awful autochoke carb. It desperately needs a Cortina style Weber with manual choke now it's no longer functioning properly. Might be able to scrape it through with a new air filter and a bottle of Redex in the tank (and an Italian tuneup) but it's not ideal.

Impressed that my exhaust silencer bodge has lasted another year though.

What Ad said,

The emissions issue was why I ditched the VV on my Transit in the end. Try as I might I couldn’t ever set the original VV up enough that it’d both give acceptable emissions and idle/run sweetly and consistently. It’d work ok at best then the next time you used it the idle would be up and down again or it’d stink over rich again.

In the end I found it easier and better overall to just remove it entirely and buy a new Weber conversion kit. The Pinto kit with the single choke carb isn’t that expensive and they work very very well and are a piece of piss to fit and tune up. It now runs better than it ever has done and the emissions are always good too.

I swapped mine from auto choke (on the VV) to manual choke on the the Weber so I had to alter a couple of the coolant hoses afterwards and fit the new choke cable and handle but it’s easy.

I’ve kept the VV still, just incase, but I’ve got no intentions of refitting now tbh. Realistically all it needs is a good clean and rebuild kit as it’s a very low mileage carb and it’d be fine but I’ve had the same type Weber on my Capri for years and they are really good so for the cost I went with that.

If you do try to adjust your VV some of them do have anti tamper plugs fitted over the adjustment screws which you’d need to remove. Mine did!

Saying that though, if you want my old VV for parts or to replace yours your welcome to it for free...

Guest Hooli

What part of the emissions did it fail on out of interest?

ah, ok just checked

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content excessive 

Monoxide is incomplete combustion as I understand it. So aye rich or crap/badly set plugs could be the cause.

Whereabouts are you?

Someone in your neck of the woods might be able to suggest an MOT testing station who live more in the real world and understand the rules properly.

Two Wrestlers Garage over in Newport Pagnell do all that lot for me now.

Didn't even charge me for the retest on the Lada last time despite having been off site for well over ten days while I got to the bottom of my emissions issues.

In my garage. But it won’t be visible to all at FotU from there!

Oh I see, that does complicate matters! Best do what Mr Dicky said and gunk the engine bay, twiddle the car so it passes the test then fiddle it back so it doesn't run like shit, bang any legal light cluster on for the test and worry about it properly later!

No.

In fact, whilst everything is liberally coated in 10w40 - very little of it actually drops.

I’m annoyed not at the tester,

I'd be fekkin annoyed with him, tbh, same the world over, give certain men a badge of power and they become very official.

So you've coated the underside of the car with old engine oil to preserve the structure, and age old method. If it din't drip on the floor whilst in there it ain't a leak, certainly not a serious leak.