Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: Mercedes begins Tour of Duty

• Please log in to reply
496 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,577 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the help, Dan. My anxiety to keep the car original has nothing to do with adenoid ridden men at Car Shows, and everything to do with my own personal feelings and interests. There’s a NOS VV on eBay atm for £100 and I am giving it serious consideration.
As I am that 3 door Sierra!

In theory, if you get either your VV or that nos one and look after it and keep it clean it should be perfectly ok.
The VV off my Transit was actually pretty good during driving but it sometimes at idle would be a bit up and down. I like the Weber kits tbh so decided to do that instead of rebuilding the old VV.

If you want it you can have my Transits VV?
It's an 84 with an auto choke, the great think about it is that it's not even covered 20k miles from new so a good clean up should be all it needs.
It's wrapped up in a box at the moment, I keep stuff like that but realistically I'll never reuse it again so if you want it you can have it... up to you.
  • alf892 likes this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#482 OFFLINE   Dj_efk

Dj_efk

• Full Members
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:26 PM

Surely a single choke Weber counts as almost original on theses? I can still remember my old boy motor factors having the conversion kits on the shelf - along with manual choke conversion kits for those who were tight and wanted to persevere with the VV

#483 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,811 posts
  • 45 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:10 PM

That transit one shouldn't need more than the jets swapping with the ones in the bASe I'd have thought.

#484 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,577 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

That transit one shouldn't need more than the jets swapping with the ones in the bASe I'd have thought.

Most probably. It's a 2.0 that it's off so swapping the jets is most likely needed for a 1.6 or it'll be over fuelling.
It's a decent base carb though.
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#485 OFFLINE   Rusty_Rocket

Rusty_Rocket

• Full Members
  • 1,096 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationKent/ Sussex border

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

A cheapo Weber transformed my Mk3 Transit. The VV was promptly chucked in the scrap. Mind you, that's when you could pick up the carbs with all adaptors for £15  :-D 

#486 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 6,046 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/aDsAAOSw6O...

A mythical 3dr base. The outcome of this is grimly inevitable, and as predictable as a soap opera story line. There doesn't seem to be much appetite on here for group buys - which is a shame. A nice little consortium on this would be great.

Unfortunately, the bASe is running terribly at the moment - and the carb is likely going to need replacing. There's a NOS VV on eBay atm for £100, but I think it's probably a bit shortsighted when not much more buys a Weber. I am loathed to make ANY upgrades to the Sierra, but I would like to keep it forever - which probably involves making more sensible decisions.

Sorry but this looks like an L to me from That picture it has seats with proper headrests not moulded plastic, some L's came with dangly mirrors

I would ask the seller to prove its base provenance by showing you a picture of the log book
Sir slidealot, knight of the roundabout

#487 OFFLINE   Dj_efk

Dj_efk

• Full Members
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:03 AM

There is also evidence of the 'L' badge having once resided on the boot lid.

#488 ONLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 2,475 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:59 AM

Sorry but this looks like an L to me from That picture it has seats with proper headrests not moulded plastic, some L's came with dangly mirrors

I would ask the seller to prove its base provenance by showing you a picture of the log book

Doorcards are definitely base.  It was those that first alerted me to what it was - not the text in the advert.  However, it's only when you see cars like this do you really appreciate the originality of the bASe.  (Austin indicator and Nissan bumper aside...) !!

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  215k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  181k|   1994 Mercedes C180.  128k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  153k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#489 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 6,046 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

Where is it for sale?

Edit ive just looked at the other pictures on ebay,

i agree they are base doorcards and it has a 1 piece rear seat back rather than a 60/40 split, I love that it used to have an L badge on the rear

#490 OFFLINE   adw1977

adw1977

• Full Members
  • 446 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:15 AM

Some L's came with dangly mirrors

They did, but only 5 door ones. L got normal mirrors for the 1984 model year, same time as the 3 door was launched.

That Ebay one is up to £2000 now!

#491 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 6,046 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

I have seen a couple of 3 door A reg L spec cars wearing dangly mirrors before they were cool, so they must have been Friday afternoon cars or the owners genuinely liked the base mirrors then

#492 ONLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

• Full Members
  • 2,475 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:41 PM

Can anyone help?

With the Avensis in a state not fit for the Queen’s highway, I’m going to have to put the w202 on daily duties for the time being. No biggy - after all, this is why I bought it.

When the car went broken and into the garage, two codes were read that didn’t relate to that particular issue. However, I’m suffering with poor fuel economy- and it’s not just the slightly binding rear brake.

First: 020 Idle Speed Control. Unrelated, but what does it mean, Basil?

028 Oxygen Sensor Control. I think the dude then said “System Rich”.

In essence, I’m trying to make it as simple for myself as possible. Also, if it has to go to a garage, avoid paying any more diagnosis etc. Obvs a 1994 car doesn’t have OBDII but anything to help me would be gratefully appreciated.

Guessing a lambda sensor, but maybe there’s another way of setting mixture on these m111 engines?

Thanks in advance

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  215k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  181k|   1994 Mercedes C180.  128k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  153k|

#493 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 17,792 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

It's all computers init. If it's running rich it's more than likely the o2 sensor, which may explain your shite mpg . Does it have a cat?

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#494 ONLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

• Full Members
  • 2,475 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

It's all computers init. If it's running rich it's more than likely the o2 sensor, which may explain your shite mpg . Does it have a cat?

Pretty sure it does as my 1993,190e did - and this is 6 months newer and the successor to the w201.

Sorry to sound thick, but how do you test them with a meter?

#495 ONLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

• Full Members
  • 2,475 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

Got the Mercedes back from the nice man in the next village last week.  He replaced a caliper, adjusted the throttle cable and idle, changed a brake pipe, changed the brake fluid and gave it a good once over.  It's now running superbly.  In truth, I probably should have bought that immaculate C220 Derv I mentioned in previous memoirs, but it was up at £1100 and I got this for nearly 1/3.

It's now on proper daily duties, buzzing the 100 miles up and down the A1M to get me to work.  I've done 1500 miles since I got it 2 months ago and it's running brilliantly.  

Also, I found a picture of it on FLICKR earlier on.  Nowadays it's wearing the gingercators I got for £20 on eBay, but it does look smart eh?

33621738942_7db9d77aac_o.jpg

• Heidel_Kakao, alf892, Vantman and 8 others like this

#496 ONLINE   IainL

IainL

• Full Members
  • 6,456 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Location1/24 Scale

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:34 AM

It does indeed.Glad it is doing you a good turn, look after it and it will look after you.
  • BorniteIdentity likes this

2017 Dacia Duster 1.6 Ambience

2000 Corsa B: Broken

2003 Astra Coupe

2001 Renault Megane MK1

Click here for model car reviews and fleet updates: https://www.youtube....KdUmtnq5VNMSnJg

#497 ONLINE   Rusty Sills

Rusty Sills

• Full Members
  • 1,454 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

Liked for gingercators, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users