Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

2 years ago, in a bid to get maximum swept area, i pissed about with various windscreen wiper combinations on the Avensis. I got it down to about a cm missed - which I was delighted with.

The Bosch wipers lasted 26 months, but thought I’d reward the car’s 223,000 not out with some new rubber.

I thought I’d settled on 21/16 - so bought a pair on eBay. I should have known they were wrong, as it’s not a popular item combination. I didn’t think too much of it, as this was my own scheme.

Turns out it was 21/17 I had - I think popular with Landcruisers.

My new 21/16 display is a bit...errr... Jeremy Beadle tbh.

Works tho, and that’s the main thing.

68f115f79772a2ae512da4f0b928969b.jpg

8ffbfe607a1abf8acb5df277d399520b.jpg

Good work. Odd that a manufacturer wouldn't pay a bit more attention in this area. Other offenders that spring to mind include the BMW E38 and E39 (wipers not reversed for the RHD market) and MK1 Focus (you get an annoying dribble as the drivers  side wiper needs to be longer).

In a move that I’m certain the entire internet car fraternity will abhor, I’ve removed the Sierra's roof bars for the time being.

First and foremost, I want to polish and wax the roof. It’s the only part of the car that hasn’t had any attention at all, and consequently it looks at odds with the rest of the vehicle.

Secondly, they howl like mad at anything over 50mph. I’ve got some good distance to travel over the next month or so, and there’s no radio to drown out the deafening noise of "Wind vs Paddy Hopkirk."

Thirdly, and this is me being painfully honest, I don’t like them. I understand the previous owner had some fitted, but he also had a beige anorak and a Mormon viewpoint. I’m not about to adopt either of those either. I will keep them here for special occasions and shows, but if they’re wanted back then that’s fine (I think Skizzer bought them?)

Anyway, we went in to town earlier to collect my son’s new glasses (it’s his favourite car of ours)

Here it is parked in St Neots earlier.

dc69c9381ffb8b990875206fd721549d.jpg

It’s a special one this weekend. I’ve been going to the Ipswich - Felixstowe ‘Historic Vehicle Run’ since I was about 5 years old. I can still remember pounding the promenade of my home town, whilst my Father ogled a Rover P6 3500 - no doubt privately contemplating past glories and conquests. Scarily, our first visit would put my Dad 6 years younger than I am today. Wonderfully, this weekend I will get to enjoy this occasion with both my Dad and sons together.

In a shit Sierra.

I’ve given it a bit of a polish up. Mainly because the roof has been letting the rest of the car down, but also because I still know a lot of people ‘back home’ and I don’t want them laughing at me. Whilst the mop was out, I gave the whole car a ‘once over’ and now The Cardinal looks resplendent once again.

13b234e2f841ae4ebba4d0a6686ae2a2.jpg

17cfaea50c4662c35f13f72a6c30fa12.jpg

eaa5029134f4ec2a02e7abca00cbd74e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180430/e24d0f9f0c6025b999155d6bb61c599b.jpg

I’m pretty chuffed to be honest. It’s still a million miles from perfect, and perfection is something you’d never achieve with this. It’s also not what I want either.

Sadly, and it is sad, I expect a bit of flak for making the car look nicer than it did. I’m getting used to it now though!

Looks lovely to me, you’ve done a nice job on that.

I say it deserves a bit of a buff and polish, it’s probably not had that sort of treatment for some time and it makes it look like it’s loved too not just some peasant in a fucked heap he can’t be arsed to keep clean!

I wouldn’t criticise you for sorting it out at all, quite the opposite!

Wax equals defence against water which equals a better chance of a longer life. It just happens to have a happy side effect of making a car shiny.

It looks good, and looks like someone cherishes it now. I wanted to t-cut it when I met it a couple of years ago so your polishing sesh is approved by me too

Further preparations for this weekend's "Ipswich to Felixstowe Vintage Vehicle Run" are ongoing.  Rather than concern myself with the lack of choke, or worry too much about where all that coolant is going, I decided that last night's priority really ought to be....

....cleaning out the interior.

Despite more cracks than a 92 year old's face, it does come up very nicely.

40945353755_b289d82fb8_k.jpgFord Sierra Base by Bornite Identity, on Flickr

As I've said, Felixstowe is my hometown.  "Born and Inbred" as I always say, much to the disgust of the cosmopolitan media workforce I now find myself surrounded by each day at work.  I decided a week ago that I'd like to not only celebrate the car this weekend, but also the town I still call 'home'  I set about compiling a collage of photographs taken in the town in 1982/83 and am delighted with the result.

41801907192_e5a2534d99_k.jpgFelixstowe 83 by Bornite Identity, on Flickr

I'm off to get it printed professionally in a bit.

I'm also aiming for the full 'Audio Visual' experience, with the 'Sound of Felixstowe' loop; We had the the pirates anchored off the coast in international waters (Laser 558 and Radio Caroline) along with one of the first ILRs (Radio Orwell).  I'm still working out how best to do this, but it'll probably be a loop of jingles etc.

Wish us luck, and maybe bump into you?  It's a fantastic event - it's free - and the weather is set to be glorious.  Do come and say hello if you see me/the car.  

All told an enjoyable day.

Coventry was the destination to collect two doors, spotted earlier in this thread. Thanks very much!

I indulged myself on the way home. Binley Woods was such an unusual location to film a TV show. Despite its formulaic construction, I’m a sucker for the BritCom and a big fan of this show.

It had to be done.

6992171ef9febf4b2dc543758610c581.jpg

Not great photos, as I’m acutely aware that it’s someone’s home.

9b13a516c62b265e5062603e92658bcd.jpg

I’ve been to TV locations before, many times in fact. But there was a great feeling to be on hallowed turf. Just disappointed not to be invited in for tea!

Here are the doors. I’m delighted with them, they are absolutely spotless. Just two different colours. There’s work to do - the front is electric (which I didn’t think about) and they need de-trimming.

Nothing is impossible tho, right?

b538095852fea8d665e56f1102d5e706.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, right colour too.

You could spend a couple of hours cleaning and rubbing these down, and paint them yourself with rattle cans - the big custom mixed ones from a factors. One 500mm can might be enough. A nice warm day* and let the paint settle for a couple of days before a flat off with 2000 grit and T Cut. 

To remove the regulator on the door just drill out the rivets and refitting is reversal of removal, when you remove the door trims you may have holes to weld/fill iirc early mk2 doors had holes behind the trim where as later ones didnt

I'd forgotten they did the funky thing on the dash with the warning lights with the legends duplicated right next to them on the Mk I as well as the II...You learn something every day...The actual light for the indicators is vastly smaller than it looks like it should be as well isn't it?

You can certainly see the difference in wear between the original light and wiper stalks, and the replacement indicator switch I fitted that was supplied by Cortinaboy! 

I'd love to take part in the Ipswich-Felixstowe but have pencilled in the weekend for long-overdue Cambridge restoration.

You can certainly see the difference in wear between the original light and wiper stalks, and the replacement indicator switch I fitted that was supplied by Cortinaboy!

I'd love to take part in the Ipswich-Felixstowe but have pencilled in the weekend for long-overdue Cambridge restoration.

That stalk saved the bloody day!

Looking forward to seeing that charming little Cambridge on the road soon enough! The weather will certainly be on board so good luck!

Blimey, the old dear does look 10 years younger. That dashboard though...

As for the pap of Hyacinth’s driveway, shame the cars were on the drive, and it wasn’t 18 months ago. You could have parked the pogweaseled Sierra at a pissed angle in front of the garage, for maximum ‘I don’t wish to keep up appearances’ effect.

Brilliant work all round.

I'll actually be in Felixstowe for the arrival of the cavalcade on Sunday, a mate of mine is partcipating in a bewilderingly clean 500 Abarth. Would be a joy to see the bASe in the flesh.

Alas I can't participate myself, I don't have anything older than 1995, which is pretty much cutting-edge.

Valeting and polishing skillS: ACCREDITED.

Looks grand there man. I love polishing a previously un-polished car, its so rewarding. Cant wait to try my new electric rotary polisher on the 75.

Welcome round mine anytime!

On topic, thon Sierra is stirring hitherto unknown sub gunt fascination - looks splendiferous for a Ford:)

That dashboard though...

I know.  Sadreactsonly.  I've absolutely no chance of ever getting another base dash - and only a slim chance of being able to get a MK1 dash in uncracked condition.  The Cosworth boys want them, so they're big money.  BIG money.  The generally accepted replacement is one from a MK2, but it'll have superfluous stuff like clocks and single din gaps for radios etc.  It'll have to stay.  I feel less itchy about it now that it's been cleaned, which is something.  

I'll actually be in Felixstowe for the arrival of the cavalcade on Sunday, a mate of mine is partcipating in a bewilderingly clean 500 Abarth. Would be a joy to see the bASe in the flesh.

Nice one!  Judging by the colour of my entry card, I'll be somewhere between the Pier and the Spa Pavilion theatre.

The actual light for the indicators is vastly smaller than it looks like it should be as well isn't it?

You are absolutely right.  It's a shame really, as the 'seatbelt warning' lamp is as big as Nuneaton.  I think Ford missed a trick here.

On topic, thon Sierra is stirring hitherto unknown sub gunt fascination - looks splendiferous for a Ford:)

How arousing!!

I know.  Sadreactsonly.  I've absolutely no chance of ever getting another base dash - and only a slim chance of being able to get a MK1 dash in uncracked condition.  The Cosworth boys want them, so they're big money.  BIG money.  The generally accepted replacement is one from a MK2, but it'll have superfluous stuff like clocks and single din gaps for radios etc.  It'll have to stay.  I feel less itchy about it now that it's been cleaned, which is something.  

Looks like you need...

BhcqCveCIAA_WYG.jpg

https://www.dashboarddoctor.com.au/