Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

There is still 3 or 4 MK1 avensis being used as taxis in derby. A T plate green hatch,a red S plate saloon and a silver Saloon. I regret scrapping my 2.0 auto cdx when the cambelt went. Wife now has an 05 1.8 vvt petrol which I've seen 51mpg on the trip computer at a steady 65-70. My auto once managed 45mpg on a steady run back to Derbyshire too. If my motability car goes back for any reason it will be replaced by an estate auto avensis!

Nice to see someone else on here actually attached in one way or another to their car. I was starting to get the feeling I was the only one.

I think my well-documented blind determination to hold on to a battered, worthless and unassuming car, simply because it was honest and reliable over three years of motoring, pushes that figure up to 6.

Sierra Mk1 and Mk2 doors have a different window size and the inner is different.  The only exception was early Mk2s, which had the same size windows, but the inner was different.  It wasn't too difficult to cut out the parts of the inner where all the stuff fitted and weld it to another door, but I can't remember seeing an early Mk2 in years now.  I think they were all Dagenham made and didn't last as well as the Belgian later Mk2s sadly.

Excellent news on the Avensis MoT. Being a saloon it must be that bit rarer, and also quite a good looking thing. More so than the hatchback IMO.

Cheers Rob!

The saloons are, in my eyes, far more attractive than the hatchbacks- this being the case even now with the latest Avensi. (In fact - I think they just saloon and estate now).

This is the second T22 Avensis I’ve had. The other - V781 GDP - eventually went for export to Deutschland of all places.

https://flic.kr/p/L5eBwW

The blue one was also a bastion of reliability, and it was fate that I should find its plum sibling

This purple one is actually V263 GDP.

dc15ba7ef20e94a9cb6eb0a23342670a.jpg

Here’s to the next 12 months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SR trim too. I've always like the grill and wheels. My saloon was a cdx with auto box. The wife's avensis is a t3-x with the 1.8. Hers feels quicker than mine was though. I don't think there's that much difference power wide between the 3sfe 2.0 and the vvt 1.8 either. Well done on another year though

120 vs 130 or there abouts. I like the facelift but I think the vvti is more prone to oil burning, though the pre-vvti celica 7A-FEs do it too.....

My avensis was 128bhp R plate 2.0. The wife's steed is a 1.8 vvt on an 05 which from what I've read varies between 129 and 140bhp. Her new one I am monitoring oil consumption because of what else I've read but doesn't seem to use any. My 3sfe 2.0 did use a little bit though.

Think you're right about mk1 avensis numbers, most local authorities have either a 10 or 15 year private hire age limit and the cabbed ones won't last more than an owner or 2 after being defleeted.

Rather like the Carina E before it, once they were every 5th car, now where are they?

Sounds like at least this one will be there at generic car event 2023 to make people go "ooh, remember those?"

Cue advert:

Down with the kids indeed. After all, what's more rock 'n' roll than sitting quietly in the back of a silver Japanese hatchback?

post-17915-0-96871500-1523459315_thumb.jpg

post-17915-0-05814800-1523459331_thumb.jpg

But maybe all concerned knew what they were at - I went to school with a massive Stooges/Pop fan. The first Avensis I ever saw on the road was owned by his dad. Just like the one from the ad.

I'd dearly love to put this in its own thread, just for prominence, but I don't want to get banhammered.

All told, I probably need to either

A) Buy a MK1 Sierra to break

2) Recruit all of you to look out for driver's side panels

D) Accept that I will never get it to a level of 'presentable' I'm happy with and move on.

I have never wanted it to look mint, and I'm only too aware that there are factions who want the car to stay just as it is.  But I do want doors with metal in, sans dents, that lift the car to the standard of the other side.  If I can't get it to that place this year, I fear it'll just get me down.

Any help appreciated.

Daniel.

He is about 5 minutes from my house - and where I got the wheels from.  I'm not sure whether buying this for £50 - spending money getting it sprayed - fitting it etc is going to be worth it when there are probably better doors around.

Although, maybe there aren't.

There is this in Eastleigh for £15, states it's for a mk1 but not in the best condition

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Sierra-Sapphire-Rs-Cosworth-Front-Passenger-Door-N-s-f/273128886329?hash=item3f97c01039:g:-lcAAOSwhpZaFDb4

That'll go again for 15 quid. The others are facelift.