1998 Smart & Pulse MoT 03/17 DRAWING TONIGHT 2/11 (flat4alfa - can't send messages to you!)

RichardK

Is that not just an edge connector with the metal fingers on the other side?

^ This

Your looking at the back of a 1 sided PCB. You can tell this by the red writing on the PCB substrate. See if it plugs in and fits. Looks like it's designed to go in between those cutouts.

I had a 451 for three years. It was a Pulse with fat wheels and the 999cc Mitsi engine.

It was great and went really well and handled pretty fine too. You could hustle it around the country lanes at some fair speeds.

Keep up the good work!

What would you charge to invest say £10000 on a mobile tyre fitting van and maybe another £10000 on stock, stay in and sober on a Friday night, get out of your bed at 2:00 am; drive to the warehouse to pick up the tyre; drive to the breakdown; supply a Continental tyre; fit it at the side of the road and drive home again?

It's a lot for a tyre if you get Black Circles to deliver it, but fitted at the side of the road at 3 am? Sounds not too bad to me.

Say the tyre is £50. The drivers wages must be at least another £50. Then fuel and expenses.

I have RAC recovery. I expect we'd have a discussion about them transporting me all the way to Paul's Tyres which is the only tyre fitter / retailer I would happily give money to.

Our BINI has no spare wheel, but 3 cans of gloop and 2 compressors in the boot (one a genuine MINI one), but I have a full size wheel and tyre in the shed, which will not exactly fit in the boot - well it will if you remove compressors, tool, and carpet and parcel shelf, and let some air out of it.  Wife and daughter (and sister in law, and niece) went away for the weekend, and my advice was "If you get a puncture, get RAC to take you to the hotel and I'll bring the spare later"  

I've got an early blue pod rev counter somewhere in "the stores" but its for a diesel IIRC. May work but guess the scale would be wrong. Any interest, assuming I can find it?!

Definitely, because I can always use the trim ring if I find a blue/silver pod for petrol, but yeah, the limit is something like 4,500 rpm on the diesel.

Is that not just an edge connector with the metal fingers on the other side?

Nope, it should have a connector where the cutout and two holes are to secure the connector mount.

I had the same thought, it sure looks that way, there's a clear route for the cable as well.

As an aside, are keeping this stock or are there any plans to mod it?

Only with period-correct Smart accessories and new parts where needed; it's being restored carefully to be fair. I'm leaving the faded panels as Hello Yellow is a rare colour, and these appear to be self-coloured plastic, not painted as many replacements are. That's important to the design of the car as conceived by Swatch. Also the faded lettering comes back to the car's history - rather than being the most rational solution to commuting and congestion ever proposed - which it is, it would be perfect for say, country to Milton Keynes, or London suburbs to the centre even with motorway stretches - it became a curiosity, an excuse to draw attention, a cheap billboard. If I had the money I'd buy all the advertising-covered panels on eBay and make an exhibition of them.

Spot on.

Yep, the rev counter wire has to be fed through the dash top and into a wide connector on the speedo pod. It's not as easy as the clock!

^ This

Your looking at the back of a 1 sided PCB. You can tell this by the red writing on the PCB substrate. See if it plugs in and fits. Looks like it's designed to go in between those cutouts.

I may be looking at a single-sided PCB, but I'm looking at a space where there'd be a terminal with pins for the clock and a physical connector, and there isn't one soldered on - it's not an edge connector. I've asked the scrapyard if they still have the hazard/lock switch panel :)

Do you know how this one got sold here?  

The story at the end of the last century was always that Smart would never come to the UK because (insert journalistic bollox you just made up).

In about 1999 I thought to buy a Smart as they had become available from this place (KSB) in West London.

post-17481-0-35388600-1471790550_thumb.png *I know, I Should have Woolarded.

I liked the car but didn't really want to depend on a backstreet outfit 140 miles away for support so I wimped out. 

• 1 month later...

Great as the Smart is - and it is - I'm not using it, and I really, really want to get a W124 estate sorted out. I've seen a couple I liked but missed out on (black manual E220 in Norwich looked promising but Norwich and no time to get there).

I'll consider selling it, but it now owes me rather more than the £500 I paid - £650 just covers the car and the tyre, I've added a couple of accessories, a full set of launch brochures, and the original launch Swatch, though those are vaguely optional. Not sure the raffle idea would have quite the enthusiastic response if it were more expensive, though!

If anyone's interested, PM me. It does, definitely, appear to be the oldest surviving Smart on the road (not in a collection or museum), certainly in the UK. it drives well and so far I haven't found any rust on the shell, and the plastic panels are the proper original self-coloured type.

I will consider swaps for other cars that have the same... feel? as a W124 estate, I could possibly be tempted with a genuinely nice W124 saloon (I know, I know... but I can't see what's behind me when driving it, right?) or even a good C-class estate.

Feeling pressured and distracted right now, so a more enthusiastic post will be forthcoming with up to date pictures!

I want a car more than money, but "the Smart" - £700 with the bike rack, clock (remember it's not plugged in), ashtray added, new badges, new tyre on the back, cupholder inserts on both seats (correct) and new wiper blades since I got it. Costs are £500 I paid for the car, plus £150 for that rear tyre incident, about £30 on items from Smart-whatever-bits for badges and new plastic trim caps, bike rack £35, clock £30ish, ashtray I was lucky and was just a tenner, cupholder was a tenner.

Don't want to lose money on it, and selling it isn't so much a priority as much as "I am painfully aware the car I want to drive, of all the cars here, is NOT MINE and I need one of my own!".

£800 with the full set of launch brochures (MCC Investor prospectus, various original brochures plus Limited/1 brochure) and Swatch launch watch (those things cost about £150 in total!).

Those things are optional - I can sell or keep them, but took a while to track down and were worth the effort to go with the car.

Dont fancy a px of a Volvo 940 auto estate i spose.

Thought not...... :-)

Volvo 940 estates were second on my thought process. I prefer the Mercedes - silly things, like memories of the white one I drove (dad's one) when I was 18 but got snatched away. Large but fits in parking spaces (i.e. not MODERN LARGE), reasonable four-pot power, solid build and reliability, comfy seats and factory sunroof make me happy.

Having owned a W124, I would advise serious consideration of the Swedish Brick option...

It's actually now at the forefront - I had forgotten 940s were live axle so suitably crude simple, and it looks like a double DIN radio can be installed with some creative use of 780 dash parts (or maybe creative use of a 3D printer), which means I can have a Carplay head unit and not faff with all these annoying single-line displays to get music from the phone...

So I'm thinking that I can still buy some sort of estate car... perhaps even Dave's Volvo if it's still available.

I know the jump from £500 to £700 looks off, but I've actually spend more than that on it, however...

If I considered a Raffle at £10/ticket, excluding the bike rack and clock (purchasable if wanted of course) - would that interest people?