Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Split_Pin's stuff: Crail Vauxhall Show 20/5/18

• Please log in to reply
734 replies to this topic

#601 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

Its just the same type going back in, for simplicity. I think I posted some pics of our (mainly the Touring_Bros) efforts in that area a bit further up the thread (if you really want to see what a 1.0 3 banger looks like !)
  • 320touring and Nyphur like this

#602 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

The new flywheel bolts arrived for the Corsa last week so I tonight I fitted the flywheel.

I had a pants_critical moment when the flywheel bolt holes didnt line up with the crankshaft, remember this was an automatic engine, but a quick quarter turn made me realise that its a weird pattern that only has 1 correct position.

I had to be careful as the tightening sequence was a bit 'procedural', as some of you might know. I fitted them all hand tight first, but still loose enough that I could determine which ones were left to to. I took each one back out in turn, applied a generous application of superglue and torqued them uo to the specified 35nm plus 39 degrees.

The new clutch plate looks like it has a much larger surface area than the old one but, fuck it, boshed it all up, centralised the disk and tightened it up.

Have two pictures.

received_10212639163267964.jpeg

Attached Images

• 20180213_204745.jpg

• WilsonWilson likes this

#603 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 2,945 posts
  • 22 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:06 PM

applied a generous application of superglue and torqued them

Is that a recommended step, or is it bodgers thread lock? I've never heard of using superglue before.

LAST OWNER WAS SON OF A BANKER

I put my trousers on, have a cup of tea and I think about leaving the house
It's got nothing to do with Vorsprung durch technique, you know?

#604 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

I have read that it is an acceptable alternative.

#605 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 7,724 posts
  • 61 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

Has the price of thread lock gone dramatically up?

#606 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:39 PM

Bit pointless talking about this now isnt it?!
  • tooSavvy and davehedgehog31 like this

#607 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 7,388 posts
  • 68 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:53 PM

Never used it on cars, but I've used superglue as thread lock on my model aircraft. Worked fine. Just a lot harder to remove the fixings later than proper blue threadlocker. Also isn't as temperature resistant. Like 130C or something.
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#608 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

Hopefully some positive news this Friday with the Megane's MOT being carried out. It only required 2 number plate light bulbs last MOT, but had an advisory for brake pipes. The mechanic said "its no a bad job" and I cant see that they are routed up and over anything silly like the fuel tank. Hopefully it won't be too much of a sair yin. After that I may just keep it, but I do have my eye on several other cars, one of which is currently F/S on here. We shall see.

Last time I tried unsuccessfully to fit the replacement engine in the Corsa because it needs to tilt forward about 30 degrees in order to couple it to the box but guess where VX installed the hoist points? At the front, so it tilts back in the opposite direction that I need it to. All Vauxhalls eh? I may try and see if there is a suitably sturdy bolt at the bulkhead side of the block, to which I can attach the bracket at the end of the chains. Failing that I may try and gerrymander something with an old seatbelt that I have lying around.

I also hope to tax the Astra and use it until the MOT in April - It could also do with a new timing belt as the garage never really fitted the last one well and it has always hummed a bit on idle. Tyres are old too so that's also on the list as well as the battery as I've killed another one through lack of use. I should have removed it but I wanted to be able to open the doors (window won't drop without power) to dry the puddle from the leaking seal but somewhat ironically it has stayed bone dry!

• oldcars likes this

#609 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 7,724 posts
  • 61 thanks

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

Instead of using the chain, try hoisting it in with some seatbelts as a sling, if you can work it right it might get it at the right enough angle to drop in.
  • Split_Pin likes this

#610 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

Yeah that is the plan.

#611 OFFLINE   alf892

alf892

• Full Members
  • 2,140 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationNorthants

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:29 PM

Don't worry too much about the angle.....hang it in the hole a bolt it to the nearest mount....then lift or drop till you can get the next mount. job done.
  • Split_Pin likes this

#612 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

The little ebay Megane continues its onslaught against the passage of time and deterioration.

DIS A GUD KR.

Attached Images

• Screenshot_2018-03-09-14-23-40.png

• cms206, Lacquer Peel, WilsonWilson and 6 others like this

#613 ONLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 9,340 posts
  • 29 thanks

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

Winning!
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#614 ONLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 1,582 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

Excellent result, I hope the Lexus is as good for you ;)

• Split_Pin, dome and 320touring like this

1968 Morris Minor 1000

1968 Land Rover 

1972 Triumph Toledo

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1

1986 Talbot Express Camper

1996 Jaguar XJ6

1999 Renault Clio

2005 Renault Clio

#615 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:52 PM

^^LOL
  • Tickman likes this

#616 OFFLINE   oldcars

oldcars

• Full Members
  • 5,450 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:11 PM

Result.

• Split_Pin likes this

#617 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

The mechanic asked me today if I had ever had issues with the ABS system as it turns out the offside front reluctor ring is cracked.

Very infrequently, I would occasionally get just a touch of feedback through the pedal when braking gently whilst the car was almost at a stop. Braking at all other times was unaffected.

This would be on the second hand driveshaft I had fitted about 14 months ago. Thankfully the rings are replaceable, probably because the whole shaft is an otherwise complete unit. The most expensive ones I could find were 7 quid, so I just need to confirm that it's the 44 tooth one I need.

He also said the brake pads had plenty of life left in them and woukd be best to get the use out of them before replacing the discs, which he said were not too bad.

Screen damage is also just a chip which I still cant find.

It must have known that I was considering selling it!

The Coupe is now booked in for its MOT on 13th April. Given the low mileage since 2014, Ill leave getting a new timing belt until the summer. Going to put a better battery on it tomorrow and start it up.
  • oldcars likes this

#618 OFFLINE   dome

dome

• Full Members
  • 2,314 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of Fife

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:22 PM

The mechanic asked me today if I had ever had issues with the ABS system as it turns out the offside front reluctor ring is cracked.

Very infrequently, I would occasionally get just a touch of feedback through the pedal when braking gently whilst the car was almost at a stop. Braking at all other times was unaffected.

This would be on the second hand driveshaft I had fitted about 14 months ago. Thankfully the rings are replaceable, probably because the whole shaft is an otherwise complete unit. The most expensive ones I could find were 7 quid, so I just need to confirm that it's the 44 tooth one I need.

He also said the brake pads had plenty of life left in them and woukd be best to get the use out of them before replacing the discs, which he said were not too bad.

Screen damage is also just a chip which I still cant find.

It must have known that I was considering selling it!

The Coupe is now booked in for its MOT on 13th April. Given the low mileage since 2014, Ill leave getting a new timing belt until the summer. Going to put a better battery on it tomorrow and start it up.

I watched our tame Clio whisperer fit a new ring to Neils Clio while fitting a new driveshaft, he made it look easy but then he tends to do that when he works on cars.

You'll need a hammer, a blowtorch, some patience and a large selection of swear words. 

• Split_Pin likes this

#619 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:33 PM

As Im currently pretty fed up scrabbling around under cars I will either enlist my local garage to do it or it'll be in the boot for the new owner!

#620 OFFLINE   fraser.innes.3

fraser.innes.3

• Full Members
  • 415 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationHerefordshire

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

As Im currently pretty fed up scrabbling around under cars I will either enlist my local garage to do it or it'll be in the boot for the new owner!

Maybe this should go in the bodge thread, but I have had the same with my previous megane. Rust gets under the ring which expands it and snaps it. I couldn't be arsed pulling the hub off, so cleaned up the driveshaft and inner part of the abs ring. I then shoved a load of araldite under it, then tightened it up with a big fuck of cable tie and let the glue set. Lasted another 10 years until it went over the bridge. The ABS light was on until I 'fixed' it ☺

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

#621 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:24 PM

I read about the glue thing ha ha!

Ill just get the ring replaced I think, whilst its in for the discs anyway.

I can live with it until the summer.

#622 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

I had another crack at fitting the Corsa engine today. The good news is that after 3 attempts I now have the engine at exactly the right angle. Unfortunately I just couldn't get it to mate up. I have conceded that I do need an assistant to help me.

Instead, I found a battery that looked ok, charged it for the few hours that I was pratting about with the Corsa and the got the Coupe started up. I'm going to tax it on Monday and start using it.

Attached Images

• 20180310_122723.jpg
  • 20180310_130228.jpg

• aldo135, oldcars and johngarty like this

#623 ONLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 9,340 posts
  • 29 thanks

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

Nice work:)
  • Split_Pin likes this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#624 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:28 AM

Perhaps a mod can help me with rotating these pictures? I think its my phone but they were the right way up on the device and appear correctly on other media streams?

Anyway, Brothers_Touring paid me a visit (Neil in his lovely GSA which achieved a 100% approval rating from my neighbours). We were also assisted by Junior_Pin!

It was quite tricky to get the engine joggled into place but we (mainly Neil and John!) got it fitted and fully wired up.

We didnt quite achieve fire and exhaust however as is initially appeared that the starter was seized.

However, John continued his investigations offline and came back with a good piece of info about the loom possibly being at fault and a direct feed from the battery being the cure.

Does anybody know what kind of wiring I need for this?

I cannot thank Neil and John enough for their assistance with this car over the last few months. An absolute credit to the forum and the hobby.

In other news (posted elsewhere) I sold the Megane to aldo135 and bought rml2345's Rover 75! A busy weekend :)

Attached Images

• 20180317_142308.jpg
  • 20180317_142255.jpg

• The Moog, aldo135, WilsonWilson and 5 others like this

#625 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

Advertised my engine hoist on Facebook today and my phone has literally been oot it's bin ever since. Hurrah!
  • The Moog likes this

#626 OFFLINE   rainagain

rainagain

• Full Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationFife

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

I had another crack at fitting the Corsa engine today. The good news is that after 3 attempts I now have the engine at exactly the right angle. Unfortunately I just couldn't get it to mate up. I have conceded that I do need an assistant to help me.

Instead, I found a battery that looked ok, charged it for the few hours that I was pratting about with the Corsa and the got the Coupe started up. I'm going to tax it on Monday and start using it.

Still a nice looking motor those coupes, the rear reminds me of the Calibra
  • Split_Pin likes this

#627 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:10 PM

I solved the starter motor issue. I noticed that the bolt that holds it to the block was loose and I also recall that the orange lead was attached to a nut that had clearly never been loosened. I checked this again tonight and I had attached it to the earth strap.

I swapped the lead onto the mounting bolt and sure enough, a working starter. Sadly the meagre charge in the battery meant no fire and exhaust but, tomorrow!
  • aldo135, Tickman and 320touring like this

#628 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

After sorting the wiring on the starter and getting the engine to turn slowly, I fitted a fully charged battery to it, only to get a loud click and all the dash lights dimming to black again. It will still turn by hand on the crank though. I have had it with this car 100%.

I am totally not in a good place with cars in general right now, between this and the 75.

Im off out to spend some time with the wife and wee man.

#629 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:19 PM

13 years I have had the Coupe now and I know its a shitty Vauxhall to many, but I never tire of looking at it!

Also, on Wednesday night, Brothers_Touring will be visiting again to see if we can get the Corsa started. A bump start will be the first port of call, once I know it runs nice, changing the starter will feel so much easier!

Attached Images

• IMG_20180401_212731_854.jpg
  • IMG_20180401_213142_065.jpg

• The Moog, WilsonWilson, Tickman and 3 others like this

#630 ONLINE   Split_Pin

Split_Pin

• Full Members
  • 7,937 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:09 PM

Massive thank you to 320_Touring and Jaypee who basically took a car with top end knock through an engine change and on to something that runs and drives and starts off the key. All in 2 afternoons and 1 evenings work!

Here is Neil's wee video of the first drive up my street.

It turns out that the battery is toast (5th one Ive killed from letting it go flat repeatedly) as it was in the Coupe which had sat all winter. Also, there was a rogue clip which we subsequently found out goes on the throttle cable to stop it fully closing. This was causing insufficient fuel to be supplied when starting up the car.

Just a couple of coolant pipes to reattach, change the oil and then hopefully an MOT!
  • The Moog, loserone, aldo135 and 6 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users