Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Iain's Fleet Management: Megane Still Mega But Grumpy When Cold

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#331 ONLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

Have you checked Corsasport Iain?

I know its usually full of chavs, boyracers, modified Corsas and the for sale ones are usually junk, but sometimes a cheap one with history and a seemingly decent engine but rusty and fucked bodywork crops up. 

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

#332 ONLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 4,482 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

Hit me up with them man!

Had no trouble getting shut despite the rear spring hangers having the integrity of Weetabix.

#333 OFFLINE   IainL

IainL

• Full Members
  • 5,779 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationBonnybridge

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:00 PM

Have you checked Corsasport Iain?

I know its usually full of chavs, boyracers, modified Corsas and the for sale ones are usually junk, but sometimes a cheap one with history and a seemingly decent engine but rusty and fucked bodywork crops up.

Full of willy wavers talking about their M3s and Evos who 'moved on' from a Corsa in about 2004. Nobody there has one any more. Only been without a Corsa for 5 years in the past 2 decades so pretty much been here there and everywhere as far as resources go lol
2017 Dacia Duster 1.6 Ambience
2000 Corsa B
2003 Astra Coupe
2001 Renault Megane MK1

#334 ONLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:18 AM

Time to have a look for Tigra A/B, Corsa C, Astra G/H with 1.4 16v engine then, should be shedloads of these knocking about.

The Twinport ones are actually quite good, I had a 2yr old 55plate Corsa C 1.4 Twinport SXi and it went really really well, so much so it wouldve absolutely mullered my brand new 15plate Corsa E 1.4 16v VVT Ecoflex thing, and was loads better on fuel too, and im sure they have a chain rather than a timing belt, but strangely no skeleton wanking in a biscuit tin type rattle like the 1.0 Cs with timing chains had.

Just out of interest, with yours being the base model, did the base come standard with Power Steering by then? It was a bit snide that a car in 2000 came without a drivers airbag though! Saying that the Bs were always weirdly specced, Sister had an X plate 1.2 SXi in Arden Blue, had the wraparound spoiler, CD player, rev counter, central locking with deadlocks, airbag, power steering, leather steering wheel, the velour sports seats, colour coded electric/heated door mirrors, alloys etc. but still had windy windows, very weird i thought. 

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

#335 OFFLINE   IainL

IainL

• Full Members
  • 5,779 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationBonnybridge

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

I've noticed that it's getting a bit chuggy when coming on and off the throttle in 1st and 2nd gear when cold. Like something throttle related is a bit sticky. Makes hill starts a fine art! It's only doing it when stone cold, after that it's fine.

Once the Astra comes back from its holidays at my folks (front and back garden being excavated so keeping the drive car free during the day) I'm going to stick it in my garage for a good old fiddle, take the throttle body apart and clean it together with fitting a new Idle control valve. I'll also change the spark plugs but I'm a bit worried about that as they've likely been in there for many years. Hopefully they'll come out without any trouble. Pretty certain that lot will clear its throaty in the mornings. I'm also going to buzz round some surface rust on the chassis legs in the engine bay with the razor belt sander and treat it with some Bilt Hamber.

Drives like a dream now the brakes are sorted though and the crunch between 4th and 3rd has now gone completely after the box fluid was changed back in October. Don't know why it took that long to make a difference.
2017 Dacia Duster 1.6 Ambience
2000 Corsa B
2003 Astra Coupe
2001 Renault Megane MK1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users