Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Iain's Fleet Management: 14/09/17 another probably unexceptional Corsa update

• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#511 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 5,528 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

Paint the bulb black and submit it for the test running.

No seriously I'd wager it's a reluctor ring. Or hopefully a low battery.

#512 ONLINE   IainL

IainL

• Full Members
  • 6,372 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationBonnybridge

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:42 AM

Bank holiday for me today so I took my son to nursery this morning in the Megane. I got about 50 metres from my drive and the ABS light went off = FIXED.

However I took the Corsa battery which was brand new this year and fitted it to the Megane anyway.

I can't remember how old the existing battery was, I took that from the Corsa last year as the battery that was in the Megane when I bought it looked very old. However it had this sticker on it:

IMG_0674.JPG

Does this mean 'use by' or 'do not sell after'. The small print doesn't make it clear.

I also though i'd update on the Corsa progress. I'm not going to bother with the one that my local garage are selling, more hassle and money. It was touch and go for a bit though as I discovered a scab on the lower bulkhead but it was solid. The area is also a removable plate held in with bolts which the steering column travels through so in theory it could be replaced.

So far I have removed most of the cooling systems, the air intake and I successfully attacked 2 out of the 3 studs which attach the cat to the manifold. The 3rd will be easier accessed once I remove the dipstick tube.

Attached Images

• IMG_0675.JPG

• shumarialto and Cavcraft like this

2017 Dacia Duster 1.6 Ambience

2000 Corsa B: Broken

2003 Astra Coupe

2001 Renault Megane MK1

Click here for model car reviews and fleet updates: https://www.youtube....KdUmtnq5VNMSnJg

#513 ONLINE   IainL

IainL

• Full Members
  • 6,372 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationBonnybridge

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

I'm probably doing this as more of a timeline for myself now as this seems like the best place to write down what I have done so far.

Corsa:
So far I have completed:
Radiator removed, cooling system and pipes removed/moved aside. Header tank removed
Battery tray removed
Airbox/ducting removed
Heater hoses disconnected
Fuel lines disconnected
Exhaust disconnected between cat and manifold

To do:
Disconnect throttle and clutch
Disconnect gear selector
Remove driveshafts
Remove front bumper
Photograph wiring loom, unplug and tie up

Astra:
Done:
Oil and filter changed
Adjusted air intake as rattling off the engine mount. Again.
Replacement os door seal fitted. Only marginally more watertight than the original

To do:
Sorn
Coat of wax to protect it during the winter as it will be staying outside
Timing belt due next year plus aux belt
Possibly new tyres as the existing ones are old
Silicone spray for the door seal

Megane:
Done:
Oil and filter change
Cursory wave of some Tetrosyl in the general direction of a few rusty patches underneath
Chassis leg ground back and painted inside the engine bay
Nicked the Corsa battery

To do:
Nothing, good place to be with this one

Duster: belongs in modern shite but CBA to update my thread there
To do:
Fix jammed OSR door lock (garage)
Find somewhere that sells that green coolant, it requires a top up

I may* have driven this for a short distance with the oil cap off as I was so busy showing my son how to check the oil that his wally of a daddy forgot to screw it back on. Thankfully only a small amount of oil loss/mess occurred and the cap was jammed between the fuel lines.

I've been a bit preoccupied of late what with this that and the other and have not had much time to work on the cars.
  • Tickman, shumarialto and Cavcraft like this

2003 Astra Coupe

2001 Renault Megane MK1

Click here for model car reviews and fleet updates: https://www.youtube....KdUmtnq5VNMSnJg

#514 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,528 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

The duster should not be requiring a coolant top up! Get a dealer to find the leak, fix it and top it up again. Should be a warranty item. Coolant isn't a consumable - on a new car at least.
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#515 ONLINE   IainL

IainL

• Full Members
  • 6,372 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationBonnybridge

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

It was low when we got it, say about 3 fingers width from the correct level. Looks like it used to be full though as there's yellow marker in the tank to signify it's been checked and showing at the expected middle mark.

2003 Astra Coupe

2001 Renault Megane MK1

#516 OFFLINE   shumarialto

shumarialto

• Full Members
  • 4,440 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationNear Edinburgh

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

You have a note to silicone the door seal. It this to try and fix a water leak? I got this stuff to feed and clean the door seals. Its spot on, also stops the doors sticking to the seals in the cold winters.

https://www.amazon.c...l/dp/B007TNOQDI

#517 ONLINE   IainL

IainL

• Full Members
  • 6,372 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationBonnybridge

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:04 AM

Thanks mate I will certainly try that :)
  • shumarialto likes this

2003 Astra Coupe

2001 Renault Megane MK1

#518 OFFLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 2,160 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:52 AM

Iain, best place for green coolant is Renault themselves, its called Glaceol Type D coolant, its relatively cheap from there, and one of the very few places who do it these days. Failing that ive got a 5litre container of it unopened from when my dads mate did the timing belt kit and aux belt kits on my sisters Clio and ended up not using the coolant we had bought, yours if you want it, not sure itd be easier/cheaper coming over here than just going to the local Renner dealer and buying some though.

PS the battery youve photographed, im not sure if thats the battery youve nicked out the Corsa for the Megane, if it was the one you put in the Megane last year or if it was the original from when you got it, but either way I notice its a Motrio branded one which is actually a genuine Renault part, Motrio is to Renault parts what Motorcraft is to Ford parts. 

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

#519 ONLINE   IainL

IainL

• Full Members
  • 6,372 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationBonnybridge

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:06 AM

Cheers Hendry, I can get 1l for a fiver from eBay so will get that. I didn't realise that about the battery, that's the one I removed but this time I kept it inside. Just as well I did because I don't think there's anything wrong with it as the Abs light came back on again in the Megane last night when I started it, which was the reason that I removed it as I thought the battery was dying and causing the system to read a low voltage or something.

2003 Astra Coupe

2001 Renault Megane MK1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)