Wiring intermission over and couple of weeks later and I had a few days off and was hoping to get all the sanding finished and get a coat of primer on so I could go back to using the car.
The sanding progressed reasonably slowly due to the thickness of the paint, I utterly killed my old Black and decker dual action sander which started to turn slowly and smell of hot electricity....
Here’s a few work in progress pictures:
This photo shows the crossection of the paint layers. Starting at the top you can see:
2. Reliant High Build Primer,
3. Reliant Primer,
4. Reliant Highland purple Layer,
5. First Red Coat, (possibly Reliant Mexican Red,)
The next coats are definitely after it left the factory. Possibly suggest 2 more resprays.
6. Grey Pimer filler coat,
7. Red Coat. Unkown shade,
8. Dark guide coat, (very thin)
9. Red Primer.
10. Red topcoat.
In places there are several layers on top of that which are rattle can touch-ups in the time I've had the car.
I'd decided to take the primer down into the engine bay by an inch or so. With a view to sorting the engine bay out as a sperate task.
The process of sanding back the back of the engine bay has highlighted that there are still some sections lurking under the filler are actually heavily fire damaged. I first discovered this shortly after buying the car 8 years ago, at the time Dave and I fixed most of the structural damage but a section at the back of the engine bay was overlooked.
When fibreglass burns its generally the Resin that burns leaving the CSM as is very black and dry mess, that is difficult to fix. A previous "matey" had simply skimmed over the remnants in filler which gave the illusion of being structural. Over the years since the filled had started to crack and chip in places.
Rather than sand it down I elected to wipe most of the old paint off with acetone to evaluate what was there. this is usually effective on cellulose paint and stable on normal fibreglass. Unfortunately, on contact with the fire damaged section the fibres mostly dissolved...
I wont lie this is a difficult fix, to do anything nice with it would need the engine out and donor section. which isn’t really a practical option.
Not wanting to dwell on that repair job I stripped off the back end, to start sanding that back. The back end of the car is a bit of a horrible area, When I first took the body off (now over 7 years ago) some bad accident repairs were highlighted and a repair section let in around the fuel filler and boot lock. Then in 2011 after I'd had the car on the road for a month someone drove into the back of the driver’s side and another replacement section was added...
On both those occasions I'd noticed the jagged bodywork hiding behind the passenger taillight and each time I had decided not to look too close...
Still that crack looked really shit...
I Picked at it and it all turned out to be body filler...