Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Coal Not Dole's Scimitar - Going off on a Tangent...

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   coalnotdole

coalnotdole

• Full Members
  • 703 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

How are you progressing with the SA injection setup?

Glad you like the writeup, I probably include too many photos but as I've got them I sort of thought why not.

The EFI project has been a bit of an experiment, there was alway going to be some room for development. I'd not expected to have the engine apart so early. but in some ways its been good to know that it does still come apart fairly easily. I had been concerned that all the throttle bodies would have to come off to get to the inlet manifold bolts. Fortunately I was able to get them out without disturbing any of the injection setup.

I wish I'd sat the samcor manifold & plenum on there for a look while i had the inlet off but it was wrapped up in storage and I did not really have time. I've got two other 3.1 essex blocks which would make a reasonable base for the SAMCOR setup, or alternatively I could fit it to my Scimitar GT which has sat in the garage unloved since I started playing with the GTE's engine. The expense of buying another ECU has prevented me from doing more with it (£850-£950.)

The downside of all this attention the GTE's engine is getting is that I'm not getting any other jobs done...

The Rebel Van needs an engine rebuild,

Both Scimitar GT's need MOTing,

The xflow rebel still needs a cluch, MOT and front end.

The GTE is part rubbed down for new paint after the deers incident and is desperate for at least some primer...

• The Moog, DeeJay, WilsonWilson and 5 others like this
http://www.redrebel.co.uk - A blog about restoration projects...!

http://www.abandoned-britain.com - Photographing Modern Ruins
http://www.industrialarchive.co.uk - A collection of objects, writings, documents, films and photos

#152 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 986 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

.... I probably include too many photos .....

Nope, not possible really.

Another fairly silent watcher here.

• tooSavvy, mercedade, WilsonWilson and 1 other like this

1968 Morris Minor 1000

1957 Morris Minor 1000

1968 Land Rover 

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1

1972 Triumph Toledo

1986 Talbot Express Camper

Some other stuff that I will add at some point...

#153 OFFLINE   DeeJay

DeeJay

• Full Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

I need the photos, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue what was going on (my fault, not yours.)

#154 OFFLINE   spartacus

spartacus

• Full Members
  • 1,018 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

Photos are good. Another semi silent watcher here, I always tune in to this thread for an update.

#155 OFFLINE   The Moog

The Moog

• Staff
  • 6,111 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationAccrington .. who the heck are they ...

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

Great read and pictures always help.

2000 - Ford Poo ma 
2003 - Vel Shatis - Brightening my day with lovely warning lights

2000 - Focus 

#156 ONLINE   mk2_craig

mk2_craig

• Full Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationIT'S CLEAN THE PLATES HAVE BEEN CHANGED THAT'LL BE $7438.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

Just read this through from start to finish, gripping stuff! What was the previous owner of the engine's official reason for sale? It does sound like it wasn't done at all properly.

1984 Ford Fiesta XR2 - Devaluing the neighbourhood since 2008

Nottinghamshite
Channel Island Cack
Everywhere Else

#157 OFFLINE   garethj

garethj

• Full Members
  • 4,516 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

Signs of pre-ignition isn't too surprising with that compression ratio. For 11:1 I'd want to see a team of 20 engineers, led by a bloke in a tweed jacket with a PhD in thermodynamics and everyone else with 10 years experience in engine design. They would use 50 grand's worth of software to try and predict how that flame front progresses under different revs and loads.

What probably happened is a mechanic said "yeah, probably be alright if we stick some octane boost in there"

Full marks for sorting this out!
  • cobblers, BenHar and Hooli like this

The Porsche 928 is terrifying, yet oddly alluring. It's like spending the night with that Jo Frost Supernanny woman

#158 OFFLINE   coalnotdole

coalnotdole

• Full Members
  • 703 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

I've not really used the GTE much since fixing the head gasket, I spent some time flushing cooling system out, Which looked particularly nasty and took quite a few flushes to get rid of the contaminated coolant.

First flush:

573.jpg

Last flush before refilling with coolant.

574.jpg

I'd more or less put everything back together but over the bank holiday weekend I experienced a bit of a tangent involving the paintwork... After the deer incedent the drivers side front wing was more or less stripped back to gelcoat in some places. At this point it would probably have been easiser to chuck some primer over it and a couple of colour matched rattle cans and forget about it until I can actually afford a decent respray. One of the problems with this is that due to the thickness of the paint it was quite hard to tie in the repair as the levels were all over the place. So in the end I ordered some two pack epoxy primer, colour matched to the existing paint and decided to sand / scrape off all the paint, starting with the front end.

Eariler in the summer pre omghgf!

575.jpg

The Head gasket / top end work distracted me from the sanding, Its not really practical to use the DA next to a stripped down engine. But with the engine finally back together I was finally able to contiue with some of the sanding back work, my aim was to get it so that the front end was all one colour...

Interestingly as part of the paint removal process there is some evidence that the car may once have been Highland Purple. Difficult to confirm as I only have DVLA records that go pack as far as computerisation In 1976. The DVLA say it was definatey red by then, so its hard to know if there was a colour change while it was at Reliant. or if it just had a respray early in its life. The purple paint is the first colour after the origonal primer and there is no primer between that and the red coat.

576.jpg

Heres another shot showing how thick the paintwork is!

577.jpg

Here's a few more shots as the sanding back progressed.

578.jpg

579.jpg

580.jpg

581.jpg

582.jpg

583.jpg

Its taken a lot longer to get to get the paint off than I expected. Hopefully later in the week I'll have another non bodywork update covering the wiring and sensor upgrades...
  • Heidel_Kakao, garethj, dollywobbler and 20 others like this

http://www.industrialarchive.co.uk - A collection of objects, writings, documents, films and photos

#159 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,436 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:00 PM

That's some scope creep. "I was replacing the head gasket when the paint fell off."

• garethj, cort16, coalnotdole and 2 others like this

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1989 Nissan Bluebird
1990 Proton 1.5GLS, 1997 Honda S-MX, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#160 OFFLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 7,536 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

That's some scope creep. "I was replacing the head gasket when the paint fell off."

Like a father ted dent approach
  • coalnotdole likes this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#161 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,166 posts
  • 30 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

Don't empty the ashtray, you'll end up doing a gearbox rebuild.

• coalnotdole and dome like this

#162 OFFLINE   plasticvandan

plasticvandan

• Full Members
  • 1,747 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

Highland Purple,my favourite Reliant colour.knowing Reliant,it could easily have been resprayed in the factory if someone waived an order for a red one under their nose,iirc colour codes didn't start to be used on the vin til the SE6?
  • coalnotdole likes this

#163 OFFLINE   Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 91 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Highland Purple definitely floats the boat......... but as it's a part strip it can wait - we're patient buggers over here.

Added lightness yo - Colin Chapman styleeeee with the 400+kg of paint removed though.

Can I ask - what grade do you start stripping the heavy stuff back with - and don't they all clog up extrmeley quickly? Mine bloody do!

#164 OFFLINE   WilsonWilson

WilsonWilson

• Full Members
  • 8,537 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationUtopia

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

I hate it when people paint cars.
Do carry on though, since youve started.

634840.png

#165 OFFLINE   coalnotdole

coalnotdole

• Full Members
  • 703 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:46 AM

Highland Purple,my favourite Reliant colour.knowing Reliant,it could easily have been resprayed in the factory if someone waived an order for a red one under their nose,iirc colour codes didn't start to be used on the vin til the SE6?

Yes thats correct there is no colour identification on the vin plate until the SE6 cars. Highland purple is also one of my favoirite reliant colours, Ideally with a black vinyl roof and a webasto sunroof. I'll probably paint it red again though...

I hate it when people paint cars.
Do carry on though, since youve started.

I understand this, but its not like Its origonal paintwork car. I see new paintwork as needed at this stage of the cars life, If I do a reasonable job It will hopefully last a decent length of time, Its a daily It's never going to be perfect I'm sure It will accumulate patina and battle scars all over again!

Can I ask - what grade do you start stripping the heavy stuff back with - and don't they all clog up extrmeley quickly? Mine bloody do!

I've been scraping back to the reliant primer layer with a chisel, (footprint brand)  Followed up by 80 grit DA disc's which i've been buying from tool station, I've then progressed to 120 and 180 progressively. It's now more or less ready for primer. I've got some two-pac epoxy to go on which is RAL 3001 a similar shade of red to the cars present colour.

Scraping tool:

584.jpg
  • WilsonWilson, Sigmund Fraud, billyboy406v6 and 2 others like this

#166 OFFLINE   paulplom

paulplom

• Full Members
  • 223 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationBedlington

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:43 AM

I think they painted them thick to stop the rust. count yourself lucky. a similar aged ford would be dust by now.
  • Richard, WilsonWilson and Hooli like this

#167 OFFLINE   garethj

garethj

• Full Members
  • 4,516 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:51 AM

I'm not sure it's the paint that stops the fibreglass Reliant from rusting :)

• Honey Badger, inconsistant and paulplom like this

The Porsche 928 is terrifying, yet oddly alluring. It's like spending the night with that Jo Frost Supernanny woman

#168 OFFLINE   spartacus

spartacus

• Full Members
  • 1,018 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:33 AM

6vSbrrb.png

#169 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

• Full Members
  • 11,446 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

I'm not sure it's the paint that stops the fibreglass Reliant from rusting :)

That's the joke.
  • paulplom likes this

#170 OFFLINE   Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 91 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

I've been scraping back to the reliant primer layer with a chisel, (footprint brand)  Followed up by 80 grit DA disc's which i've been buying from tool station, I've then progressed to 120 and 180 progressively. It's now more or less ready for primer. I've got some two-pac epoxy to go on which is RAL 3001 a similar shade of red to the cars present colour.

Scraping tool:

http://www.industrialbritain.co.uk/forum...

Alas - my downfall - I'm not allowed sharp instruments unless under strict supervision....... spatulas just don't cut it!

#171 OFFLINE   garethj

garethj

• Full Members
  • 4,516 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

That's the joke.

IR crap at seeing jokes sometimes :(

#172 OFFLINE   mercrocker

mercrocker

Morris Major Elite

• Full Members
  • 5,548 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationNew Forest

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

I love seeing these in the buff, they always remind me of a clay styling buck with that blind front panel.

1963 Morry Thou

1955 Cowley

1987 VW T25 Holdsworth

1990 190E

197? Portafold Caravan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users