PBK Golf - for shale. Buy it you fuckers.

purplebargeken

Hmm, looks like the 'Dirty, filthy Golf' thread has disappeared. May have been a casualty of the 2016 Forum Horror.

Nevermind.

Brief update. The car is getting more and more attention. The bodywork (well, the sides anyway) is coming up really well with clay, cutting and polishing :)

The full size spare tyre is now in the well but as expected, it does stick up a bit too far as the car originally came with one of those shitty space saver wheels. The boot carpet that I bought is black but should be grey, grrrr.

The only bit mechanically that needs doing is the fitting of a non-blowing exhaust part. 

The only bits cosmetically letting it down are the bonnet and the roof panel - the lacquer is lifting in places. The headlining will need replacing.

The car does not pong of many dogs in any way, shape or form. It is a first time starter, and despite the noisy exhaust, it runs lovely :)

The car will have an MOT over the next month or two.

How much is it worth? Any interest here? Just testing the water :)

They're decent cars but not worth a lot. Even the VW fanboys seem to snub them.

I don't expect it will sell for any more than what it has cost you, even with a fresh test. Considering the work you've done, it will probably make more financial sense to run it as a daily over winter and re-assess the situation in spring.

Smashing. A chap in our village runs a purple GTi as well as a fiercely gold Volvo brick.

I always thought the MK3 is the most AS of the Golfs. The GTI was an embarrassment to the badge and it really wasn't a great car after the legendary mk2.

This is why I like them. (!)

That does look rather nice. It is amazing what a decent bit of polish and care can do to a car.

Also, I am glad that the seats being fitted helped get rid of the dog smell. From what you said at the time it seemed bloody awful, and would probably now be even harder to stand with all the heat we have had over the last week or two.

As much as I absolutely adore our canine companions, I totally understand about the odour of a over-mutted and under-cleaned car. 

Never before have I come across such a rank vehicle, although to give him his due, the eBay seller was totally open about how the car had been used. This is probably why I got it for 99 quid :).

I am quite pleased with myself for getting it so odour free and looking so tidy inside now. I am also hugely grateful to my two mates for helping refit stuff.

These are proper Autoshite material and good on you for saving it. I ran a mk3 GTi and for £750 it was a bloody nice 2.0 hatchback. 

I reckon by the time the mk3 came out, Golfs were so popular they were being bought by a critical mass of careless non-drivers (you know the sort who unintentionally thrash their car, don't maintain it) and boy racers, who wrecked them in equal measure. So they become shit cars for the second and third owners, and so on, until it's down to us lot to save the ones that are left.

I like the juxtaposition of the standard exterior and the upgraded interior. Puts me in mind of the myriad German market only special edition Golfs of the 1990s which were basically CLs with fancy trim and decals on the rear quarters.

Perhaps you could get "AutoScheiße" decals made for it? :)

Spent an hour getting the peeling lacquer off the roof. It was knackered anyway, so a very sharp but sturdy razor blade was utilised with reasonable success.

I will then sand the base coat down lightly to remove any imperfections (razor blade marks included).

It will then be cleaned and when I can find a reasonable quality vinyl wrap I will use it on the roof.

I had a quote to do the roof and bonnet in 3M carbon fibre wrap.

350 quid! 

Spent some time today away from the bodywork. Have been cleaning the engine bay, more dusty than anything else. There is no sign of rust in the engine bay at all. It is cleaning up nicely. Cambelt and water pump were done 38K ago according to records. 

I had some weather proof A0 self adhesive vinyl  graphics printed up last year, the sort of stuff you wrap a van with,  about £25 each inc delivery. You can get some printed from a pic of a good VW roof of the same type/colour and "hammer it over the top" of your shitty one !