How shit are 3.3v6 grand voyagers?

Lankytim

Dunno what boxes Steyr-Puch were using, but they were building Grand Cherokee as well

Yep, they built monocoque and body on frame cars on the same assembly line, an industry first. Build quality was correspondingly shoddy, because of that and Austria.

The concept was later abandoned, but Austrian craftsmanship remained, thus quality* only improved marginally.

I had a 51 plate CRD manual Grand for about 6 months. The aircon condensor AND compressor both needed to be replaced, then an engine mount collapsed which caused the pulleys to rub on the driver's side inner wing, which eventually set fire to all the oil and leaked dispel on the soundproofing.

The lorry driver who eventually made my Mrs stop , reckoned it had been on fire for about a mile , still driving perfectly.

When I went to the yard on the services to get all the stuff out of there was a 3.3 next to it- also an underbonnet fire!

I'm not allowed another Voyager.

I wouldn't touch a CRD with someone else's bargepole.

3.3 V6, auto. Yes, they have weaknesses, but four-pot and manual stirring is just wrong in a Voyager.

I got 28mpg and comfortable 85mph cruising in my 2002 one, but not great around town. My 1999/2000 ones were worse, 23 mpg at best.

I had the 3.3 litre LWB while working / living in New Orleans (3 years).  I brought it back with me and I rated it so highly that I bought another as a replacement.!   My LHD 3.3 had cloth seats and x2 rear benches which lift out to make a great van (8' x 4' sheets will it flat in the back) And just about long enough to get a bike in ..when the handlebars are not too high or are swung down (BSA Thunderbolt, Norton 850 Commando, Sunbeam s8.. albeit not at the same time !!)   and front wheel coming between the driver and passenger seat.

When new - you couldn't hear the v6 motor on tick-over.  On a couple of occasions I turned the starter only to find the engine was already running, it was that smooth and super quiet. I believe it was made by Mitsubishi.  But it didn't feel as powerful as one might expect from an engine of that capacity.  The yanks spec these to travel effortlessly the width and breadth of the U.S. and to be super reliable for that task. I drove from New Orleans to Virginia and back without giving it a thought ...or even a service.  Aside from that their designed ..and function brilliantly for the school run and for shopping at the mall.

I like the LWB and have no complaints about the turning circle nor the weight of steering.  It's 8" longer than the SWB but that's not really very much when it's a 7 seater, and I suspect the interior legroom is worthwhile.   I've also used mine as a impromptu camper, just throwing sleeping mat, pillows and duvet in the back for weekend events.   Regarding steering and handling... trust me it can be thrown around with gusto - and it will surprise.  I chased a Mazda Mx-5 around the streets of New Orleans one night (I was well and truly pissed off !) and he just couldn't loose me.  Scared the shit out of him until I came to my senses and realised how just reckless I was being (..in truth I could see that he was going to crash if we carried on ..and his passenger was likely to get hurt).  On another occasion I saw off a Porsche here in the back streets of Ipswich (I had some serious stress issues at the time  :shock:  ). 

Apparently when new the auto gearbox had an issue.  Mine had failed just before I bought the car (with 14k on the clock) and was replaced by the dealer under warrantee.  Personally, I never had anything go wrong with that car, except when I cracked the windscreen by putting the car through a car wash on a hot day.  I don't know if it was the car wash, or the heat, or just a stressed glass fitted to that particular car, but it never broke again. 

Interior and exterior trim spec & quality are good, as was comfort.  Being an big auto - its fuel economy on a run was mid to upper twenties, but around town was in the teens. That's why I sold it  albeit with 150k on the clock.  As a LHD it was keenly bought by a Polish chap who drove it home.   

post-20151-0-72781300-1471346998_thumb.jpg

Chrysler Voyager 3.3 auto

post-20151-0-91627600-1471347126_thumb.jpg

Personally I think they're great looking vehicles, with nicer tactile (switch gear) than most Euro or Japanese vehicles.  My current '04 Voyager is also a LWB but with the 2.5 diesel, five speed, and otherwise top of the range spec., with full leather and every option including rear video player. The configuration of this one is four individual seats plus a third row bench.  Electric bum heaters are wonderful with leather seats.!  I bought this car from the prestigious company I worked for with 130k on the clock.  It had been used for client and management conveyance between their Southampton, Norfolk, and Ipswich boat yards, and of course to & from the airports ...so mainly open road driving.  It now has very nearly 220,000 on the clock.  Smokes a bit on acceleration but never uses any oil or water.. Overall very low running costs or depreciation.

This engine is easily revved but has a rather narrow power band, particularly for a diesel. Like the 3.3 it also has cruise control ...which I use every day.  Likewise a LWB - it has the interior size of a van, when the rear seats are lifted out (fck these leather seats are heavy !) and it has the quality and finish of an executive motor car.  It also rides well along the farm dirt track and is quite comfortable.  I find the cloth seats of the 3.3 were more comfortable and without the electric adjustments was lower to the pedals. The all electric package screwed up the ergonomics a bit, and the clutch is a long reach (even though I am tall).  I can well imagine a shorter wanting to screw a wooden block onto that pedal. !

Although I've done 90k miles in eight years, the car cost me twice through not being used.  The first was the air conditioning, which I'm never keen on.  It's great for screen demisting, but aside from that I rarely use it.  When that pump seized, through lack of use, the toothed belt broke and so the alternator wasn't being driven. Breakdown recovery !.  The other problem I've had was with the handbrakes not being used enough. The drums rusted up.  As the handbrake is a drum within the rear disk, then these needed to be replaced. The calipers wouldn't retract far enough without sticking so they had to be replaced too.   Now I occasionally use the handbrake for slowing the vehicle down, just to keep them working.   On this one I've also had steering and front suspension wear, but as I do live down a farm track, I guess that's unavoidable.  The alloy wheels corroding and not seal around their bead has been the cause of several slow 'punctures' ..They really need to be soda blasted and repainted.   My van lives on my grassy driveway when not in use, is hardly ever cleaned, and yet stone chips on the bonnet seem to be no worse than five years ago.  The exposed metal must be of a decent grade not to have perforated by now. 

Big bonus with this one is its economy. The trip presently reads 41.4 mpg average over the past 2,180+ miles.  Typically I drive through housing estates & slow traffic to get to the dual carriageway, then drive five miles at 60- 65mph to work on my boat.  The Voyager is then used as a mobile workshop and van before driving home again.  When I was driving across to Kettering every other weekend (200 mile round trip to visit an aged aunt) - typically 65mph I used to get 44mpg.

Would I buy another, or recommend the Chrysler Voyager to a good friend.?  Yes definitely : a 2.5 litre diesel with its 5-speed gearbox. But I'd probably not go for the leather all electric package again because of its compromised ergonomics.  Overall very low running costs or depreciation.   IMO ; these 'vans' are under rated, but much nicer and better built than the Renault or Ford rivals (I haven't tried other makes of people carrier).

Hope that's helpful..  B)

post-20151-0-87426000-1471351609_thumb.jpg

My dad had one, it fell apart a lot. On the bright side it was quite easy to work on as you didn't need hands the size of a five year old (or adult jap) to do so.

Likewise /\

I otherwise ride post-war motorcycles with crap brakes, and used to drive wooden bodied w/ fibreglass kit cars that sat just a few inches from the ground.   A few years ago I took my advanced drivers and so practice driver awareness & anticipation (with conscientious accident avoidance) rather than rely on spotty-faced kids who design (specifically for production economy & to pass legislation) vehicle structures on a computer..   :boomer::huh:

I've had 2, both 3.3 autos. Gearbox buggered on the first one. Second one was ok, but just fancied a change.

Strut tops are apparently a weakness. Sold the second one to a member on here, and the nearside strut top failed spectacularly. I had not an inkling it was going to happen. Still feel a tad guilty though.

I found with the right hand drive version, there was nowhere to rest your left foot while driving, had to sort of tuck it back towards me.

I still like them though, and wouldn't totally rule out having another one.

I've had 2, both 3.3 autos. Gearbox buggered on the first one. Second one was ok, but just fancied a change.

Strut tops are apparently a weakness. Sold the second one to a member on here, and the nearside strut top failed spectacularly. I had not an inkling it was going to happen. Still feel a tad guilty though.

I found with the right hand drive version, there was nowhere to rest your left foot while driving, had to sort of tuck it back towards me.

I still like them though, and wouldn't totally rule out having another one.

The whole reason I got mine was for the footwell space and size - my right leg was in a cast for 3 months and I needed to be able to drive, and the Voyager auto was perfect with loads of space - right leg down the side, I had room to operate the pedals with my left foot just fine.

I prefer to have the seats as high as possible on cars - suspect if you like low, legs forward seating positions then the Voyager isn't going to be ideal.

OTOH I was so desperate to drive that I'd drive the SLK with the leg in a cast folded under the other leg so I could left-foot drive the SLK!

I found mine spectacularly reliable until it stranded me in France obviously (1600 miles over a month then it FTP near Rouen). £1700 in 2005 was a steal too (it did have 170k+ on the mileometer mind). The only car I have ever given a name - Exxon Valdez.

So positives: Electricaly opening rear quarter lights, electronic compass, you can make the fuel computer show 6mpg, fabulous infinity hifi, clap hands wipers.

Negatives: In tank fuel pump might fail on a Sunday in Rouen. Chrysler only part a fortune.

voyager002.jpg

I was very suspicious when Mrs CW said she wanted another. But I found her one, cheap despite it's working gas conversion and long test, on the understanding that I would only be using the hideous, thirsty, badly built yank beast death trap when I needed a van to do tip runs or pick up 3m long pieces of wood. I've done minimal maintenance to it, run it almost entirely on gas and put up with it's occasional flat battery by carrying a jump pack (this may be due to the Lpg bits or a wiring fault)

And I love it. I've used it lots for long journeys, the seats are good, the handling so much better than anything else that size, and you can load it up to ridiculous levels and it doesn't complain a bit. It's not fast, but it is really quiet and when you can drive it uninterrupted for 300miles and step out fresh as a daisy at the end, what's not to like. It's due a service and some tlc now and I hope it won't need lots of parts, but it doesn't owe me a penny anyway. I'd have another.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd add by way of post script that that this past weekend,  in my 219+thousand mile  2.5 diesel Grand Voyager I went  to  the Victory Show  in Leicestershire and was well pleased with the car's convenience and comfort for  car camping.   I reset the computer as I was driving up the A14.,  and it recorded an average of 48.2mpg  over the 260+ mile round trip ...although to be honest I was only traveling 60-65 mph (on cruise control) much of the time.  Still very acceptable for a comfortable van of this size.

Bfg ;)