Xantia of Desires - Farewell xantia!

beko1987

Good prices, especially for the toyos, but that's not fitted, so I'll be at £94 assuming £10 a tyre fitted.

Avons and a tesco fry up are winning so far. I did run the idea past Amy though, and need to post in single and sad regarding her answer, but 'whatever, so what you like' means I shall.

Well decision made, 2 Avon ZT5's bought and paid for.

Billy Bonus is National Tyres have a mobile fitting service by work for no extra charge, so on Tuesday, a nice man (or woman) will rock up to mums in the morning and fit me 2 tyres. I'll get them done on the back for now, then swap them round at some point as I want to eye up the droplink job, so may as well do the two together.

This month works quite well as I forgot it's month 2 of no council tax (we pay 10 months), so I'm still £52 up on the month. Next month is bonus month so I'll get the backs done again... then probably put a ditchfinder on the spare wheel I get from Tabact.

Then go drive over something and pop one, as sods law usually dictates

Which do I replace initially?

These are the rears

post-5612-0-43173400-1487858022_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-10363500-1487858049_thumb.jpg

These might be moogs mitchelins, although their not winters. The passenger side one has more cracking around the edge of the tread block...

And this is the worse front one

post-5612-0-66712000-1487858106_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-35794900-1487858132_thumb.jpg

Those cracks go right around the whole tyre in that concentrated area. Oodles of tread though. Passenger side is spotless, but not balanced right (I hope).

Get rid of the fronts or backs? The remaining pair only has to last another month... And whatever I change will see the new rubber on the front and the old on the rear

Yes I want the new tyres on the front regardless, but which of the current lot to replace.

I'm veering towards leaving the backs as they are tbh and changing both fronts, that will get the very badly perished one gone, and get the unbalanced one replaced. Plus the sidewalls are quite floppy, the rears are stiff. Plus the rears have lasted this long, another month wont* hurt them...

Plus I won't have to swap wheels, just take them off to check stuffs

if the unbalanced one has a reasonable good tread left keep the tyre for later to put on another rim for spare

leave the matched pair as the rear wont wear much compared to fronts

also worth bearing in mind- the spare DOES NOT need to be same size as all the others- all zx's had the same size spare regardless of what was fitted to the car

Part worns are total hit or miss and I doubt you'd get them supplied and fitted for £15 at most places.

I did say at the breakers so you can look what they are like, I usually only pay £20/25 for brand name low profiles in big sizes with 6mm tread. Admittedly I fit them myself or get a local racer to do it haven't had balance issues for years though

also worth bearing in mind- the spare DOES NOT need to be same size as all the others- all zx's had the same size spare regardless of what was fitted to the car

GOOD.... I have the best of the 13" tyres, as originally on ToMM©, in the boot well.

However, the new set of 4 rubbers I'm thinking of, to fit now will be the same rolling dia as 165-13 >> the Alloy+ set I 'bought' are a bit lower.... :?

Side_Oct16.jpg

TS

The tyre fairy came

post-5612-0-37614700-1488283428_thumb.jpg

and not 10 minutes later I have 2 lovely, sexy new tyres fitted on the front

post-5612-0-49258800-1488283460_thumb.jpg

He swore at the drivers side mohawk when he removed it, and showed me him pushing it out from within on the cracks which opened up to the cords. Meh said I, it's been fine for the past few thousand miles! The passenger side wheel took 2 wheel weights too, drivers side took 1. Meh, it's balanced!

What was nice though was he was proper excited to see a hydraulic citroen! He excitedly pointed to the lever, said he hasn't seen one of these for years etc. When he was done I offered for him to sit inside and operate the lever to bring it back down, I made his day I think! Hope they send him out to do the rears next month, he was a good chap! Asked me loads of questions, looked shocked when I told him about the cambelt fun, exhaust fitting etc and said he never see's ANYONE who works on their own cars anymore, 99.9% of his work is new company cars.

Hopefully the drive home tonight will result in no wheel shake and a much nicer, more confident ride. Let's hope!

It's also bloody nice to see a job done on the bastard that I want to do, not that it decides need's doing! Hopefully this is the start of a big round of work. I eyed up the roll bar links too and they look proper crusty, rubber is perished etc so I may just get them changed, there is a slight clonk sometimes, and for the price I may as well get them done and learn another job.

In preperation for my long drive with satnav tomorrow I thought I should wire my 12v to 5v thing in. I initially looked at the cigarette lighter wires, but realized that weren't switched, and as much as I trust chinese electronics that cost £2.20 including postage from shanghi, felt it best to use a switched feed.

post-5612-0-75050300-1488553970_thumb.jpg

Trial and error found a suitable fuse, and 1 core of some 3 core flex I had in the boot provided power. This is handy as I can move my other 12v to 5v not as good adapter that powers my bluetooth thing to the same place using another core another day.

post-5612-0-35449800-1488554027_thumb.jpg

The thing sits under the keypad, loads of space there. I had planned to cut a hole and surface mount the usb plug but didn't for now, just pushed the cable under the console and plugged it in

post-5612-0-40925100-1488554097_thumb.jpg

And now it rapid charges my phone! Not even the power leads I have in the house says that. And now hopefully I can stream music and have google maps running and it'll charge faster than it uses it. I left the cigarette lighter unplugged as I never use it, and the wires were an arse to get back in. I used a crimp to join the wire I cut back together, but this fouls on the back of the housing. Never mind, don't need it for now, and it'll stop stuff falling into it as the  lighter part doesnt stay put.

All the wiring needs tidying up, the cable is pushed up under the steering wheel out of the way for now, I still need to put the housing back on properly from the clutch clip change, so when I have all that off I'll run it alot better, and strip out the other supply I need to move.

So Saturday went well, the xantia didn't ftp which was nice, what with being 100 miles from. Home with aa cover that only works within 10 miles of my house...

Things I noticed:

Above 70, theres a very harsh vibration coming through the steering, that almost shakes the whole car. If I back off a bit it goes away, keeping it bang on 70 was fine. Whilst it makes a good speed limiter it is a bit worrying.

It pulls to the left now it's on new, balanced tyres

Suspension is not happy about something, possibly life

The brakes stuck on slightly. I went from thame to wolverhampton without stopping, parked up at the Travelodge and didn't move until Saturday morning. Reversing out if the space there was a definite clock from the front end!

The rear end sinks, as noted at the truckers rest.

I need new wiper blades

Its very crashy on mid to bad road surfaces

I lifted the bonnet when I got to my hotel, just to check all was ok after the longest single journey I've done in it, and noticed the cambelt was running straight. It was a little bit wavy Davey after I replaced it last year. I was almost worried, but it's fine, and I reasoned that if the cambelt covers were there id never know anyway.

1st and 2nd are a bit hard to get into sometimes, 1st from a standstill and 2nd on the wrong revs. This is quite a recent development

My usb power supply is bollocks. Despite saying it rapid charges my phone I left home on 98%,and with Google maps and Bluetooth music being streamed whilst charging, it was on 38% when I got to wolves. After Birmingham once I was back on the M6 I turned maps, bt and music off and had the radio on, and it went up 10% from Solihull to home. Stupid cheap Chinese electronics

I really should have not gone on Saturday and sorted the rear height corrector... Naughty

But it was fun, the clutch clip behaved itself, and I did 250 miles to just under half a tank at a steady 70,plus some pottering in cannock and a horrible drive through Birmingham!

Do I spend more money on it, or get a new car next month... Maybe I should enter more roffles? 8 won't say I'm bored, but I could fix all of that and still have a major issue somewhere.

I'm slowly coming to that conclusion tbh. The end of this month I get my bonus, so can lob a few quid at it, but if that doesnt sort it's issues, I'm no better. But I do love it.

I suppose my options are:

Take it to a bloke who can have a look at it from a beardy citroen point of view, help me test the spheres and run a proper lexia over it and see

Buy another cheap xantia estate with less rust and a non fettled engine, and transfer my good parts over

Scratch my rover or vectra or saab itch on the cheap. Maybe even a gooner (possibly not)

A disastra, focus or something else reliable and hand my shite card back for a bit. 

I don't actually need a massive car, and at the moment I'm only in it for an exhaust and 2 tyres, £150 back would clear that...

Who knows, time to eat pizza and worry about something else!