Xantia of Desires - Farewell xantia!

beko1987

Hooli's was pretty bad. But then it was a Y-reg early one too like SoC's.

There is a reason why I went with a facelift one, as they're so much more better built. 2.2dci really isn't the best diesel though I won't deny. But then it's a £250 working motor...

Guest Hooli

Mine was an utter pile of wank, but then it did cost £650 to get through an MOT when I got it so it wasn't good from day one. Then add a soaking wet UCH due to really badly blocked sunroof drains & you have a recipe for excessive frenchness. Plus as SiC said, the early mk2s were terrible there was only one worse car to own & that was another renault.

You would probably be better off sacking of the shoddy french tat and buying Billys Civic, or buy a pez Avensis/Accord/corolla or L series 45 which will probably all be more reliable.

Apart from the rust a lot of things your on about are just maintanace issues, which are going to come up on any car this age, get your citroen expert to give it a once over before committing to something french and cheap to replace something french and cheap.

Its next owner needs to be someone not as fussy, who will just drive it until it breaks or the mot runs out.

Be this person, with all the shit you have going on at the moment just make the car be 'the car' spend what you have to and no more. Put what you might spend on something to one side and then if / when the Xantia shits itself then you come on here and buy something that will do or if you are really lucky something you want.

That is the sensible head, at the moment you do not need to replace the Xantia, if you want to then that is fine but be honest with yourself about it. You know if the shit hits the fan and you need something really fast then it can be made happen (you just have to look at the last lot of posts where you have at least two cars available with one even delivered from Aberdeen) 

Make the choice you want for the correct reasons.

Sensible head now back in the box...

Sensible head now back in the box...

I hope you are ashamed of yourself and then hand in your AS membershite card! 

Sam now needs to ask for suggestions, receive loads from sublime to ridiculous, then go and buy something not suggested (© Dollywobbler 2010) 

I've seen it.

Personally, I would be on the lookout for a replacement before the next MOT based on the rot alone.

If I were in your position (and I'm not,so tell me to FRO if you want), I'd be looking elsewhere for something with more prospects.

That's my take on it. I could get it running and wafting spot on, only to have it fail on rot. Would rather start with a sounder base and tinker/improve that. At the moment I've got a new exhaust on it (which tbh I didn't pay for) and 2 tyres, enough to write off as one of those things and not be upset.

A vague plan is forming, I think ive made my mind up. But I need to see my bonus letter to confirm I can afford to do anything. And I'll still get the xantia looked over, so when I pass it on cheaply the new owner knows what needs to be done as a minimum to keep it running nicely enough until December or beyond (itll probably pass the next test with some new gaffa tape), or if it goes to someone with sparkly stick abilities it could be made into a nice van!

• 1 month later...

Well, today is the day the xantia of many shiters moves on to pastures new! I awoke it from its 2 month slumber, where it started on the 8th turn of the starter, and thrashed it up and down the bypass to clean the brakes up and blow out the clag!

Its more comfy than the gooner, rides better despite the tired suspension and accelerates better! I then got the two together for the first time

post-5612-0-75727700-1494149294_thumb.jpg

I popped the wheel trims on that tabact gave me, and fitted the spare wheel and toolkit underneath, then sat in it and had one last rolly! (with all the windows open to air it out)

Popped the gooner in our space for the first time ever, no more hitting the house at the end as a parking sensor!

post-5612-0-04611600-1494149389_thumb.jpg

I can't remember what the odo reading was outside bubs house, but here it is now

post-5612-0-44750300-1494149419_thumb.jpg

8ve just had a text from richieg and cyanide Steve, their 10 minutes away! Richie is having it for spare parts for his estate, or his estate for spares for this, he doesn't know yet, but I think it's a sensible solution!

I'm calling this unfinished business though. I'd have had supernauts xantia if Kiltox hadn't given me a cracking deal on the gooner (and after supernaughts car finding fun shortly afterwards that was probably a blessing anyway!). When the gooner eats itself ill look for another xantia! Even with half knackered suspension it rides better than the gooner!