Garage find Rancho - the bronze one. Rust update, p15

Skizzer

They've gone kinda organic, plus you need to take the bumper off to get at them. See blurry pic - this is inside the micro-gap between wing and bumper. The 'bolt head' on the outside is a smooth dome.

post-4091-0-91805600-1479851249_thumb.jpg

I'm all for a set of Irwin bolt grips for Christmas though, they've been on my wish list for a while.

Not an obvious one, no. That's the bumper on the right; possibly prising off the black domed head on the other side will reveal a screw or bolt head.

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, it's just a symptom of how little time I'm getting to spend with the Rancho and how ineffective I am with that time. The workshop manual will help: so would handing it over to a competent professional.

Now there's a thought.

Having just read this from beginning to end, I confirm that i too have a model - a Burago, but I can't remember which colour, and also confirm that U DA MAN.

Tried desperately to get Fatha_Outlaw to buy one of these back in the day, but I think we ended up with a Montego instead. Which was shit.

Will keep an eye out round here for orphans parked up - i'm sure there's one down here somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Work has finally begun!

The esteemed Mr Braddon81, himself a serial Talbot botherer, came round to the shed this afternoon and we set about the Rancho with spanners, screwdrivers, Innotec De-Block Oil (which is like PlusGas) and (briefly) a bradawl and a dead-blow hammer.

30768104853_1f1b19f0fd_z.jpg

1984 Talbot Matra Rancho by Skizzer, on Flickr

You'll be pleased to learn - God knows I was - that the doors still open and shut just fine with the front on axle stands.  And that the axle stands haven't gone through the floor, at least they hadn't as of about 5 o'clock this afternoon.

The method for removing the bumper became obvious once we'd taken the wheels off, there's a nice big bolt.  One side undid very easily;  on the other side, the captive nut let go.  So there's a whole load of other bolts to undo to remove the rather complicated Heath-Robinson bracketing arrangement that holds on all the various bits that turn a Simca 1100 into a macho Rancho.  We're not quite there yet with the bumper - some more bolts are soaking in de-block oil - but we're out of the starting blocks at last.

Further inspections haven't shown up any more rust, nor any signs of horrid historic bodgery.  Long may this continue.  This is the view inside the front wheel arch looking back at the footwell/bulkhead:

31205832320_9ab1abfc2e_z.jpg1984 Talbot Matra Rancho by Skizzer, on Flickr

Massive thanks to Braddon81 for 1) nudging me into getting on with it and 2) doing about 80% of the work.  More progress hopefully in a couple of weeks.

I'm aiming for a useful regular driver rather than a show winner, but it's going to need a fairly thorough strip down even so. I want to rustproof it properly and it needs a full respray; the suspension will all have to come apart to get new bushes and subframe mounts so it might as well get cleaned up and painted with POR-15 while it's in bits; the interior will have to come out so it doesn't catch fire.

I don't plan to take the engine out unless I have to though, or repaint the engine bay. It might get a bit of a clean up I suppose (and certainly new hoses and stuff for reliability) but I'm perfectly happy with 62,000 miles' worth of honest Schmutz under the bonnet.

• 4 weeks later...

Holy crap. I've only just discovered this thread. What a hero you are sir! The last one of these I ever saw belonged to a friend of my dads who ran it from new in 1981 up until 2001 when there was no good metal left underneath to weld to. The engine was on 200k and still running fine, too.

We did some more tinkering this afternoon. The front bumper still can't be persuaded to let go as various bolts are just turning, so we'll have to cut some slots in the domed bolts with a Dremel. I have one, but it wasn't on site.

We drilled out some rivets and removed a side panel to have a look at the rust:post-4091-0-93187300-1484505255_thumb.jpg

Ok, yeah, that's definitely rust. Still, it came with an inner and outer panel that goes here and the subframe itself doesn't look too awful so there's hope.

Took the upper tailgate off and started de-trimming the interior:

post-4091-0-13657700-1484505576_thumb.jpg

Boot floor is all good. There's a little bit of cracking of the GRP around one hinge bolt but not much - should be a straightforward repair I hope. The metal reinforcing behind it is good.

post-4091-0-70235000-1484505699_thumb.jpg

Not a big update, then, but still no new nasties. I'll take that as a victory.

post-4091-0-75197900-1484505902_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

More dismantlification has occurred.

post-4091-0-91091800-1485807925_thumb.jpg

post-4091-0-30577300-1485807901_thumb.jpg

More rust has been found - but actually not much more.

post-4091-0-00261400-1485807992_thumb.jpg

Sideways pic because iPhone, sorry. This clearly* shows some (reasonable) patching to the rear arch, and some frilliness around the seat belt anchor point. All very fixable.

post-4091-0-85924200-1485808037_thumb.jpg

Rear subframe mounts are fooked but we knew that.

The floor looks good, just a wee bit of rust in one corner so far.

The estimable Mr Braddon81 is going to have a chat with Aled the Welding this week to see what he reckons to it.

• 9 months later...

Soz, not been online.

Bugger all has happened this year, really, as I've barely had any weekends off and what little car time I've had has been spent fiddling with the Rover (now going well), the Lancia Gamma (electrical fault continues to elude resolution), the Lotus (separate mini-update to come) and the Vauxhall (which continues to resist all attempts to get it to run properly).  

The interior is mostly out ready for metalwork; next job is to drill out some more bolts to get the front bumper and wings off.  Then I need to book in a visit from Braddon81's mobile welder mate.

the more I look at the Rancho the more Disco-like it becomes - even the rear lights (as pointed out previous) are very Maestro van / discovery like..

Must admit to liking these when they were new..prob why I've owned 5 Discoveries LOL

never realised they were a fibreglass body on a pick up though!!

• 2 years later...