Garage find Rancho - the bronze one. Rust update, p15

Skizzer

Fuuuuuuck. You're my new hero.

Teacher had one of those when I was in the infants. I can remember basically nothing of my pre-7yrs childhood apart from

1) The teacher who had a red Rancho

2) Mrs Sandsom who had a base model Mk1 Astra, with the stupid small boot and round headlights (Actually, a Kadette? Were they both on sale in the UK?)

3) Samantha Osbourne.

That model you've got is super, I was looking at the picture trying to figure out what was 'wrong' with it because I have a habit of looking at pictures and going back to read the text.  Really convincing.  I pinned it down to the lighting and the wipers being a bit chunky that made it look not-real.  Very nice model indeed.  Hope the full scale one turns out to be a go-er!

Ten years ago you could've bought this, driven it to Nissan and said, "This looks like a 4x4 but isn't, its underpowered and its fugly.... this will save your company" and they will probably have laughed you out of the door but here we are and there must be 4 or 5 Kumquats or Pukes down my street.

This car is more ahead of its time than a time machine.

Win win win

Absolutely my favourite vehicle of the 70's.  I spent more time than was strictly necessary perving over one at the NEC last year.  The matra club said only 2 in the UK!  probably a good place to contact for spares advice etc.

I am greener than the one that used live in my village.

toppage buying sir!

In the summer holidays of 1986, I was 14, gazing out of my bedroom window pointlessly when a very tidy red Rancho parked outside our house (we lived quite close to a busy shopping area and cars always parked along our road) even then Rancho's were an unusual sight and having nothing better to do I gazed at it for a moment or two just as the lady driver of said vehicle had a quick look around, whipped off her top and put a t shirt on, I saw her bra and everything......

Oh well, it was a big deal to me at the time; as you were chaps and well done Skizzer, I honestly don't know how anyone can top this.

Good work my man! I'm well pleased. Does anyone else on here have one?

Are the rear lights off a Rancho shared with anything else?

They look familiar.

7705999.jpg

That thought just struck me as well. I'm thinking Fiat something... but good ale prevents me nailing it down.

Are the rear lights off a Rancho shared with anything else?

They look familiar.

Nope their not shared with anything else, Rancho rear clusters are bespoke to the car.

There was one this very colour that lived in the Kittle area of Swansea in the late eighties early ninties when I was bombing around in my Talbot Alpine! I think Simcat on here would be the one to speak to as regard to any potential Rancho/ Simca 1100 horror points. Top top purchase Skizzer!

Rancho taillghts were made by Seima and have the part numbers 29.90.01 (LH) and 29.90.00 (RH).

They were made specifically for it and were not used on any other regular production car.

Even the Simca 1100 Van, on which the Rancho is based, has different taillights.

And Skizzer, the only real Achilles heel of these are the A-pillars. So this is what you must check most thoroughly on Thursday.

From there back, everything is GRP and thus not a problem. In fact, all GRP components, as well as the bumpers and wheel flares,

are available new.

The only other really important bit to check is the area above the tailgate. Usually it is not a problem, but if the hinges haven't been

lubricated regularly, there could be stress cracks in the plastic, which then lead to water ingress at the back, which in turn leeds to

the boot floor rotting.

Never mind the oily bits. They are Simca 1308/Talbot 1510, hence they are

A. Indestructible

B. Available like water.

Especially the type 315 1.5 litre OHV L4 has a reputation of being the only thing working after WW3 apart from cockroaches.

Generally, the spare parts situation is surprisingly good, since there are clubs in many countries.