Toyotally Fixerating Bitz 'n Bobs.. A Diary

tooSavvy

I bought a full rocker gasket kit and this is because the head is *leaking [TADTS] down oil onto the block + gearbox casing.

Warmer weather [no garage] is bringing this plan closer but I'm considering degreasing the whole shebang afterwards..

Poonland does BBQ cleaner/degreaser - wear gloves/corrosive/nuns/kittens!! - but does anyone have past experience of BBQ cleaner on alloy/rubber/cabling ??

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been getting a distinct 'ptatta ptatta ptatta' chuff from the exhaust, exactly as it fires up  :-(  

My trusty ATS Wallsend, who fitted my new front section, were visited [they have a body lift!!] and opinions sought....  :?

I have a distinct hole, right on the sleeve where the under floor cross pipe kinks up and joins the back box/over axle.

43207912505_1fdbdf6eef_n.jpg

..... a finger of Exhaust Paste has been applied and we left it ticking over for 5mins to set.... OK 4 NOW  :-P

P1090808.JPG

*looks like this

..... expert opinion is that we have a couple of years left in the whole assembly but a 'wrap n bodge' is called for...

mv363.jpg

*should look a bit like this

I shall back up onto my ramps and do the tin can + wormclip + exhaust putty  8)

Good thing is that the Toyota pipe is well secured and is unlikely to snap... just rot through...

• 2 weeks later...

I have more closely examined the 'exhaust wrap' tape... The instructions clearly state 'remove BOTH strips and apply/wrap'... It seems the grey sticky wrap - sort of chicken wire mesh netting - will be manageable in shortish bits [unpeeling the plastic wrap as I go around] to eventually have it all peeled off/wrapped but wearing chuckaway gloves!!

I have studied some 'carb modding' Utoobs, on my 4A-F 16V engine.

One is called the 'vac spring reverse', disabling the lock out on the opening of the second barrel unless a vacuum diaphragm allows it..... :(

Old petrol sniffers, here, will recall 28/36 Webers as 'progressive' twin chokes... My AISAN is a twinchoke too ;)

Much dismantling is shown in the vids, to relocate the operating spring, to press the other way = unlock the second venturi opening across the throttle opening range.

I plan a 'mod' of my own, simply using a heavy wire to 'lock out' the op rod and free the secondary choke operation... No need to dismantle/disturb the carb in situ.

Will report [with piccies] soon.

..... first time up the ramps and total tyre width squeezed on ;)

30769311108_7f84e207f7_c.jpg >> Ramps

43920488664_44875614d2_c.jpg >> Hole

43920512194_995ba6dde7_c.jpg >> Wrap

30769348848_b72e369d82_c.jpg >> Tin

44589348572_69b5775663_c.jpg >> Gasket

..... The old gasket was crushed flat and brittle hard. I got new tophat seals and 4x Sparkplug tube seals >> the old ones were like polomints[hard!]

The hylomar held the new one in + a squidge on the face should get it all oiltight

Ah Ha! It seems I'm suffering from 'overtyre geometryitis'!

45050453602_b066e9c233_c.jpg

The tracking is blob on.... So it is the extra width which is scrubbing [barry'd Corsa lyke].

The manager offered to swap front to back, as he has told me the TWICE plugged n/s rear is scrap next time so, this way I will scrap all four but in a lot more miles (possibly not even next 2x MOT)

*tyres fitted Feb 17

Suffering for Style..... The Auto$hiteist way ;)

All done in 5mins FOC... Well, what are marrers for eh ?