1993 500 SEC V8 land yacht - it's vaguely for sale/swap (too big), but using it now.

RichardK

• 1 month later...

Things are still paused for some parts - mostly because the 500 SEC has now bitten both of my hands with the heavy doors, and I look like I have black nailpolish! No, seriously though, some parts still haven't arrived. Front suspension needs work desperately, so the Smart, SLK and Six Cylinder's 200TE (which I absolutely MUST get one of my own of because I love it more than the other cars) have been doing the legwork.

The 200TE hasn't been ignored, however...

For a while, it was driving about with the centre console in bits.

post-19568-0-59247300-1473777334_thumb.jpg

This has now been rearranged, and one of my spare up to date (HAH) radios installed with a USB port. All four speakers work, the fader control just passively sits there but you can fade out the rear speakers if you want.

post-19568-0-83581600-1473777404_thumb.jpg

Though Amazon still sends CDs.

post-19568-0-14786900-1473777502_thumb.jpg

The sunvisor no longer hangs loose...

post-19568-0-35847100-1473777351_thumb.jpg

The interior light works again...

post-19568-0-30702800-1473777968_thumb.jpg

Who doesn't love a sunroof.

post-19568-0-40227500-1473777416_thumb.jpg

The antenna now has a proper grommet on it...

post-19568-0-31566300-1473777381_thumb.jpg

And personally, I'd like to sort this out, but...

post-19568-0-72464500-1473777461_thumb.jpg

post-19568-0-58643700-1473777449_thumb.jpg

There are limits to tinkering, right?

Still, with a face like this...

post-19568-0-41599100-1473777436_thumb.jpg

Would could resist putting the shine back in the star?

post-19568-0-18274400-1473777473_thumb.jpg

And it has been on adventures, because of aforementioned wobbly SEC front end...

post-19568-0-66861900-1473777488_thumb.jpg

Fortunately that's Kidderminster, not Dubai. Though I've no doubt you could drive it to Dubai. And back.

Jobs on the list:

Clean engine of oil mess, repair and restore PCV system

Repair wire from driver's door lock to central locking (means carpets out, bleh)

Replace broken/gaffertaped rear light board with good secondhand one

Clean and check duovalve for heater

Replace bulbs in heater controls

Replace missing ashtray in rear

Refit door panel

Locate new speaker panel and refit (one from it is broken)

Change ATF and filters as much as possible (forget if these have torque drains or not)

Have a prod at fixing loose/not working headlamp wiper

Jobs not on the list, but I'd do if I had time/funds/were my car

Replace both front wings

Repair rear quarters in the usual places, make good rust areas near scrape but leave dent and scrape where it's not causing problems

Upgrade all speakers, fit DAB head unit and use front aerial location for DAB antenna

I saw a post on New24 of the mind that you have a need to own a W124.

The shite gods heard and my usual ebay trawl is brimming with finds. All later cars unfortunately, but they are cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282173692711?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

£750 BIN

7 Seater, 2 litre

s-l1600.jpg

£200, no MOT, suspected head gasket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291869419291?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

MOT June 2017, 2.2l pez auto, cloth seats

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322261789313?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nice house. Looks like he can afford full maintenance.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

MoT expired on this, but it can't get a new one until I replace the combi relay as one indicator flashes randomly if the lights are on, and the hazards flash double speed on one side. Still waiting for the window seal to show up, too.

Chances are this one has to go, as life got really intensely weird and now I'm trying to pick up the pieces. Not helped by the C5 being (probably) written off. S'okay though, I used it as an excuse to buy another Sera.

• 2 weeks later...

This definitely has to go - it's too big for my little car ramp so I can't work on anything underneath easily (what people don't notice given how much I run about normally - my right leg is smooshed at the bottom and various pain issues mean jacks and stands result in a lot of frustration), and although I hoped I might manage to do all these things and at least see it through to another MoT, the Sera's headgasket going means the project pile REALLY doesn't need a 500 SEC in it as well.

Early posts show what it is - the main issue stopping me taking it for an MoT is the hazard lights/random right turn signal behaviour. Hazards flash double speed on the left, the right turn signal sometimes flashes if the lights are on. Just once, randomly, but it does it frequently enough on a night drive to be annoying.

Pretty sure the issue lies in the N10 combi relay. These are specific to C140s, though I found one that looks right-but-with-trailer-option on eBay and am tempted to try it - have sent an offer - but the direct replacement is available for £240 most places. I did try opening the one in the car to check the soldering but it's a bastard of a design, not like the K40 on the SLK.

Other than that bar a few little things - the messed up Becker radio being removed entirely (it was fitted later, and badly) and replaced with a generic MP3-capable USB thing, still waiting for the worn out window seal - it's much as I got it, it's been stored under cover and run occasionally. It gave better fuel economy than the S280 I've played with this year and pulls very well, there are some knocks from the front - again, inability to just lift it up off the ground means I haven't dealt wth those.

It owes me £1500+some random bits. I'm open to offers, but since I've seen most project ones sell for more on eBay (including a 420 with bashed doors!) nothing too below that. The Becker Silvertstone, head unit and tuner might fetch a bit on eBay but aren't in perfect order. Technically Mercedes owe me a backordered offside rear window seal - I really hoped that would arrive! The seal below the back window has been replaced at least. PX really not up my street at the moment - I'm overcommitted with cars needing repairs now and Chris's Volvo 740 rather than being an entertaining diversion is the only thing I've got I can rely on!

If there's no interest - I totally understand. This is a big complex car; it'll be headed eBaywards with some effort made but I just don't have the time to do that without neglecting other things :/

Bit the bullet and obtained a new* N10/2 Combi relay - it's the same part but with support for a towing package, so I'm optimistic it'll work and perhaps be even more tolerant since it's intended for C140, W140 and R129 alike - but definitely the same module, there's nowhere to put two of them! Once it arrives I'll see if I get weird double-rate indicators again.

I sense an MoT in this thing's near future.

Got sick of idiots on RR who don't get "quick sale", and added a grand to the price ;) If it doesn't go and I get money in from other sources I'm still tempted to replace the front wings, but I have too much on, less space than I had before and more stress.

• 3 weeks later...

Since a Roffle for this would be insane money, is anyone interested in it at all? Ongoing fun with eye-adjustments, the desire to sort out the other cars, and general sense of "Meh" is really kicking in, and moving this out of my mental space would be very useful. Will entertain px/swap offers as long as it's not more projects that I can't cope with. Would consider px synthesizers too or other tech that I'm familiar with.

If this doesn't sell (or the piles of old computers I'm trying to clean up and get onto eBay, but have had crap experiences with those lately) I'm going to lose the engine for the Twingo, and end up sacking the whole lot - Twingo, Sera and RX8 - off in frustration. £1200 is losing money on it and probably the cheapest you'll find a running C140 for - no, it has not been MoTd. I can't even afford to chuck £50 at an MoT at the moment. Sad but true.

My thoughts on this are at £1200 you're into breaker territory and therefore it maybe a plan to see if any of those sorts are interested.

Otherwise the usual eBay/gumtree plugging and it will go eventually.

Local auction is another shot but you will be out of pocket then as it won't make a lot.

£0.99p start,£1200 reserve and see where you get with it.

I'll happily loan you the £50 to mot it as I've been in a financial hole before and it's not nice, the stress can make people do things they never thought of and it's horrible.

You can pay me back when the cars sold!!!

Good man. Now invest a few hours and a rattle can to tidy the wings up and bang it on Car & Crassic for £2500.

Even though I own a house and another one with t'wife, I don't know exactly where that Cat and I will be living next month.  I'd love this Merc but it's the worst possible time :-(

• 4 weeks later...

Remind everyone how much boss.

Christ, right now I can't even think. It's been so many prices and so many potential states.

It's standing me at pretty much £1700 right now, not including the stupid purchase of the wrong relay for the indicators or the £91 of fuel I chucked in yesterday (well, it was at 1/4 tank), but including the oil filter that's on the way - oil change, new plugs are happening. The financial panic that was making me really want to sell it is lessened, but the fact remains I hate letting other people work on my car, and this is too big to work on myself.

Chasing up the infuriating window seal, oil/filters/plugs probably this week, A/C recharge this week if I have time.

Obviously that's an AS-price, as I suspect it would do better than that with some effort made to sell it in the usual places.

EXCITING DEVELOPMENT.

No, really.

Mercedes garage says the damaged window seal is in stock in Germany and will be with me by the end of the week along with the oil filter.

People in Scotland will probably hear the swearing from me trying to get the B-pillar trim to fit back into the slots, but once it is fixed, effortless pillarless motoring will be mine!