Poncing up Percy much chromage

Rocket88

Going for a woody, 60's surf wagon type look, with a bit of kustom stuff thrown in......................not rat rod, not pineapple, not stretched tyres, not "stanced", and definitely not bloody"Euro look"...............

and thanks to all of the kind words..............

You'll be able to say you were first when, in ten years time, everyone else is doing the same instead of pineapples. :)

Do you keep a more detailed thread on this somewhere?  I'd like to know more about your thought processes, eventual plans, inspiration and final look for the car.  It's at that awkward spot right now where it looks a bit confused because there's a few bit to sort out, like headlights (which you're already onto) and whatnot so it's making it look a bit odd.  I'd be interested to know what you're doing at the back end too, presumably it's going to get a chrome bumper to match up with the front.

I do like the grille infill and how well that lower bumper matches.  Blanking off the wing corners (I'm guessing fibreglass or filler here?) is visually a sensible way to pull that all together.

These are not an attractive car to start with.  That has its own appeal, of course.  What you're doing is very brave and going to get a lot of abuse, as I know all too well from personal experience with the Princess.  If you're building it for you then focus on that, ignore the insults and carry on.  But be aware that if you don't see it through now that you've made the build public people will not let you forget it, so you have to finish it.

I love the lace painting on the bonnet.  I like lace painting anyway but you've managed to do it in a way I've never seen before and it really works on this particular car.  I would have liked to have seen you do that down the side as well instead of the wood but I have a lot of respect for you using actual wood rather than fablon.

So call this a vote of confidence and a request to see more.  I'm not casting judgement on your decisions, I don't know what you're building enough to be able to, so I'm just interested to see where this goes.

Do you keep a more detailed thread on this somewhere?  I'd like to know more about your thought processes, eventual plans, inspiration and final look for the car.  It's at that awkward spot right now where it looks a bit confused because there's a few bit to sort out, like headlights (which you're already onto) and whatnot so it's making it look a bit odd.  I'd be interested to know what you're doing at the back end too, presumably it's going to get a chrome bumper to match up with the front.

I do like the grille infill and how well that lower bumper matches.  Blanking off the wing corners (I'm guessing fibreglass or filler here?) is visually a sensible way to pull that all together.

These are not an attractive car to start with.  That has its own appeal, of course.  What you're doing is very brave and going to get a lot of abuse, as I know all too well from personal experience with the Princess.  If you're building it for you then focus on that, ignore the insults and carry on.  But be aware that if you don't see it through now that you've made the build public people will not let you forget it, so you have to finish it.

I love the lace painting on the bonnet.  I like lace painting anyway but you've managed to do it in a way I've never seen before and it really works on this particular car.  I would have liked to have seen you do that down the side as well instead of the wood but I have a lot of respect for you using actual wood rather than fablon.

So call this a vote of confidence and a request to see more.  I'm not casting judgement on your decisions, I don't know what you're building enough to be able to, so I'm just interested to see where this goes.

Thanks, Mr V............................I think our thought processes may be pretty similar........we both seem to be attempting a bit of a crossover [to use modern automotive parlance] c[k]ustom look.

I should perhaps be a little more sanguine about the negative stuff, but it does boil my piss that ANYONE modding  V.W. is instantly slagged off.

I'm just making this one up as I go along, quite a lot of what I have done has gone in the bin [tube grille] but that's the nature of modding stuff.............frogs and princes...............

p.s.Lace painting AND wood will feature down the sides.....................

I love this!

I'm confused as to where the lights are going to go on the front though. Are they going to be behind the chrome bits, or are you going to have small lights poking through the gaps? It's difficult to picture it in my head at the moment.

Don't be discouraged though, this looks like it'll be epic.

post-2866-0-97248900-1473933451_thumb.jpg

This...............crap photo is between the bonnet and the new "grille". They are actually dim/dip motorbike lights, which are in a cage, and mounted underneath the slam panel.I'm going to put a full width acrylic cut to shape sheet across the front  when finished. I might bin the shiny stuff and use something else.........trying to avoid using the dreaded mesh if possible. Might see about replacing the shiny stuff with another sheet of acrylic, possibly black.