NOW WITH ADDED ROFFLING!!! An Englishman's home may be he castle, but his driveway can't be used as a (alleged) forecourt.

For Fiats Sake

As I said I'm not incllined to grass anyone up, what really got my goat yesterday apart from the bullying approach to me and my neighbours was his insistance on getting others to move that were legally parked.  He could have parked where I had the overflow vehicles but of course that would mean him having to walk 25yards and looking to see if he could park before reversing down the length of the street.

The bloke has probably bullied the other neighbours into letting him claim the street as his and he sees me and my "scrap cars" as a direct threat to his personal theifdom of the street.

I'm not getting into a war with this cunt, though I will stand my ground.

Fuck me, you've got a Goat now?

I can understand your annoyance. In my mums eight house close there is one twonk who for the last ten years since he retired. brings his car out of his drive at 7am and parks it on the bend at the top of the close outside his house. He very rarely goes out in it but its there every day. Any delivery drivers who go up the close have to reverse back out because they can't turn round because of his car. About five years ago the old lady in the corner died and on the day of the funeral the family asked if people could move there cars out of the close or onto there driveways'. Every one did except knob head who had his car out has usual. He then stood looking out of his window has the hearse and cars reversed out of the close.

• 1 month later...

Today I got a letter informing me that the council legal team will be contacting me to serve me with a "Planning Contravention Notice", if I don't co-operate I can be fined £1000.00.

I'm not sure what I'm contravening, apparently they don't like that it took me until ten minutes ago to send a list of my vehicles.

I've had a look on rightmove with the search parameters of "parking for 12 cars", less than £100k and "No Fucking Cunts living on the street" and surprisingly asking for "NFC" is the straw that broke the internets back.

A Planning Contravention Notice is a way of them formally asking for more information on what you're doing to see whether you're complying with planning law or not. You've got to give them the information they ask for within 21 days, but you don't have to change anything you're actually doing unless they serve an enforcement notice on you.

PM me if you need any advice - I'm not a planner but I do work with a lot of them who I reckon could lend a hand...

I've told them I'm not, does a gentlemans shitters word count for nowt these days?

I'm sure a visit from them will be coming. If they then see that you're just a weird fiat licker and not arfur Daley all will be well.

Ps I've nothing against fiat lickers, just don't lick mine:-)

Pps. They will have to prove you're trading, you should be able to say I'm not and here are all the v5s in my name etc.

​neighbours eh? love em and fucking hate them at the same time.

​the best outcome here is that they come out and see  you're not trading, just a weird chap who likes old cars, you can then celebrate with another car. I'm happy to chuck a five into the car buying saga. tax, mot and insurance and then park it legally on your road. and by legal I mean not on the kerb etc because this would cause more havoc this way and just leave it there pissing people off. childish? maybe..

The PCN will be the council's way of establishing the 'intensity of the use' and then seeing if that falls within the remit of 'running a car-related business' or whether it simply means 'a car enthusiast keeping cars'.

I'd go overboard with the information you provide them with; the more you give the longer it'll take for them to sort through it. If you have a high turnover simply because you flit from project to project then prove that you're not registered as a company, you're not claiming to be a trader in any car adverts you are listing, you aren't making a profit (I'm assuming this because you are a successful member of Autoshite)...

This will make it very hard for the council to come up with a reason to sting you. Basically they need to be able to say 'the land around this gentleman's house is not being used as ancillary residential land' and follow this with 'the land around this gentleman's house is being used to conduct a car dealership/sales/repair business', which would ultimately mean they can demand you apply for a part change of use of the land (planning permission for C3 residential use to, ummm....sui generis I think, which is awful pretentious planning talk for 'any other shit'), or you cease doing what you are doing and limit yourself to x cars on the premises at any one time, or no more than x number of transactions per y weeks/months.

If you ignore everything you'll get a planning enforcement notice served upon you, demanding the cessation of the deemed breach of planning regulations, and if this isn't adhered to you are in breach of an enforcement notice and can be taken to Magistrates whereupon aforementioned fine can be applied.

I'd personally be fascinated to know how they intend on wording any enforcement notice ('You can not keep more than four vehicles on your driveway for a period longer than 30 days'??? If they have the resources to moderate that I'm frankly amazed), but for the time being bombard them with all the info you can give them that's relevant to the situation and sit tight.

I'm also available via PM if you like... :)

Isn't one member of the neighbours parking a HGV overnight on the street? I'm pretty sure that falls foul of planning/ by laws etc, they would be a much easier target than yourself.

I would be honest and tell them the neighbours are twats who have it in for you because you don't have a shiny new car. We had a complaint made about noise from one building site - work going on past midnight, loud music after dark etc, I rang the team dealing with it and asked if they had also been any complaints about a generator being run because it was dark at that time for just gone 4 and i was shutting the doors at 4 as there was no other power connected on site, that seemed to take the wind out of their sails somewhat...told em to drop by anytime after 4 and see because nobody would be there...

This is appaling. Everywhere around here we have new housing estates going up. Once they get permission the developers don't give a fuck about any conditions and do exactly what they like, and the council lets them get on with it. We also have various industrial units and plants that often break their agreed conditions about noise etc - and guess what?

Parking a motor vehicle doesn't require permission under planning although if left stationary for significant time becomes untidy and can be captured under 'untidy land' (section 215). This doesn't work if your neighbour simply buys a Juke, tho.

If the lorry suddenly lost its wheels in situ you could argue that it has been turned into an unauthorised structure, which should be amusing, notwithstanding the criminal charges for trying to sell umpteen 'totally legit' 295 125 24* profile tyres as a job lot...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If there is an HGV parking on the street regularly it is pretty easy to stop................in order to have trucks you need an Operating Centre which is formally nominated to the Traffic Commissioner.......and this is where the truck should be parked unless en route (ie nights out while working away from base).

If a truck is regularly parked in a particular residential area the commissioner's office will be very interested to hear about it. If the guy that parks it works for a company have a word with their transport manager first so he gets a chance to stop it though.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've provided the council with a list of my vehicles (all of which are in my name and insured, most mot'd, though I've sorned a couple over winter.

The truck is a LDV? pick up, sadly not a HGV, and it's a northern gas networks one.  It's in the background here:

post-17396-0-76499600-1475871540_thumb.jpg

BTW I have a lead on a £150 panda......

As per all the advice from all the people who work in "the biz", I really think they'll struggle to pin any actual planning violation on you.

To be honest I'm surprised they are expending as much effort on it as they are, as over here in Kirklees the council barely have enough money to empty the bins, never mind harass law abiding citizens about their non-illegal, non-nuisance causing hobbies.

Is it always parked across the path like that?

Set up a twitter account and tweet them a picture with a caption like "I had to push my baby's buggy into the road on a blind bend. Thanks a lot @northerngas "

See how quick it gets moved.

My guess is minutes not hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's Emailed reply to my full and frank list of vehicles (didn't see the point of being economical with the truth) is as follows :

From a planning perspective keeping this number of vehicles parked at your property is in excess of what would be considered reasonable for personal domestic enjoyment/use.  Is there any possibility of you finding alternative storage for some of the cars ?

I look forward to hearing from you again when you have the opportunity of considering this further

Yes, I could park them all on the road opposite, though Transit van man won't like that!