Proper Sherpa Shite

tomwilliams

Ford Pinto 2.0?

Pinto is heavier and much taller than a Rover V8 (yes really)

EDIT - above is bollocks ( the weight bit) I was sure I read it in CCC in the 80s - there's not a lot in it though.

According to some sources, there's only about 10-15 kilos in it (v8 still heavier)

Great looking van, sounds like a really interesting project.

I've got a 2.0 pinto in my mk2 Transit, it's a long wheel base high top so it is a bit bigger and heavier than a Sherpa. But it's not very good on fuel!

I don't know what sort of mpg it gets, I don't care really myself as I don't use it much, but if the vans going to be used a lot over distance I'd avoid it.

On the plus side it goes well enough even on it's original VV carb and 4 speed box.

I know your not a fan of diesels but if it were mine with the sort of use your looking at I'd look into a Transit 2.5DI with a 5 speed box. They're really good engines, not bad on fuel and very very simple, they don't even have glow plugs. It's crossed my mind to put one into my Transit.

Another vote here for the MX5.  The cars are cheap enough now that you could buy a runner and learn all about it while the MoT runs out, then just start stripping.  See also Volvo B23E, but you need to be a bit quick off the mark, they're beginning to climb.  You will learn that for me it's a default preference but.... auto box.  Makes life so much simpler.

• 7 months later...

Quick update (sorry it's been so long, circumstances, laziness etc) - Found another O series for not a great deal, checked over and runs sweet as a nut

Some of the many holes have been mended

Several thousand years worth of underseal been scraped off and chassis is solid* as a rock

kingpins are obviously knackered

some pilot doors have been butchered to repair the old ones

wheel arches have caused many tears

interior stripped

glass out and window frames sworn at

several beers drank

and now i'm off to bed

(hopefully some pictures up soon)