Proper Sherpa Shite

tomwilliams

post-20488-0-42342900-1470146792_thumb.jpg

Hello all, this is my new shite! A new addition to a family comprising 2 Triumph Acclaims, an Austin Ambassador and a 240 estate... My 78 Sherpa Autosleeper - acquired months ago after seeing it looking sad in a field and later stumbling across the owner in a pub, a few pints and £50 I'm later restoring her for my dad's 60th so he can tour in it as he gets older. Bought a Sherpa as we had a freight rover 200 as a family car while I was growing up; I believe it had the MDi diesel in it (which prompted a rational hatred of diesel engines thanks to a blowing exhaust and being one of 5 lads I was always in the back with the fumes). Steadily making my way through the standard rust issues - of which there are many - but I'm not sure about the engine. It's got the O series 1.7 lump which is seized solid. I could rebuild it but parts are hard come by and these vans are notoriously underpowered so I think I'm going to drop a different engine in it and (if possible) fit a PAS box from a Pilot. The question is, which engine? It doesn't need to be fast, just torquey and reliable (the thing weighs nearly 2 and a half tonnes). I don't really fancy a modern engine due to the wiring challenges, and my dad hates ECUs after the only brand new vehicle he's owned (an 05 pilot) gave him nothing but trouble. Also don't really fancy a diesel as it takes some of the period charm away from the van, and I can't stand the smell... reckon at the moment a 2.8 Cologne v6, heavy great boat anchors but torquey and sturdy, it'd sound brilliant and I probably wouldn't have to do too much chopping of the bulkhead. A B230 is another that crossed my mind as I know my way round them, they've got loads of power and they've got the bulletproof Volvo reputation. Just wondering what everyone thinks? Don't want to be spending too much on the engine but its got to be usable too. Any ideas?

I drove an O series pez one for a summer job I had - it didn't seem underpowered at the time.

The earlier ones had B series pez engines so an MGB lump would be one choice.

How about a nice Rover v8 Sir?  Obvious choice since they were fitted to some versions of Sherpa and later LDVs - lighter than the Ford Engine and no thirstier in the real world.

Thank you Wilko220! I agree about the trims, hideous things... not as bad as the arches above them though lol, my somewhat questionable welding skills have been very stretched but I'm getting there, I've got till next August!

Rover V8 would be a cracking route to go down but I'm a bit concerned about length and width... can't be too much bigger than the ford lump though.

As for the B lump, would be a nice easy one for me as the gearbox is a B unit and wouldn't have to piss about with the x-member or mounts.

I'll keep everyone updated with photos etc as I go 

I'm sure someone will know why this can't be done, but what about a PSA 1.9 XU unit, a carb version from an early 405 or BX plus the flywheel / clutch adaption (and probably the gearbox) used for the XUD in the pilot.

As Scruff said......

Just drop straight in etc etc.

Not sure a Rover v8 would go in without major surgery. ISTR they were only ever fitted to the 400 series / Convoy.

Bizarrely I reckon the MGB engine idea has legs, loads of them around and excellent parts availability.

Think that is correct about V8s, the ambulances in North London had them at one time and they sounded great but must have handled interestingly.   The idea of a V8 in a Sherpa is both hilarious and a bit scary.

My old scout group had a couple of 400 series with the O-series engine, no ball of fire but went OK and would bolt straight up in this Sherpa leaving more cash for MIG wire...

From memory the V8 400s have a bulkhead that is totally different to the dizzlers. Extremely cool and apparently quite fast, the very late ones were even EFi I am told?  I bought a (3.5 carbed) engine from an aforementioned London Ambulance Service 400 and it was a real beaut, had been married to a ZF auto so I would imagine quite a nice machine to bowl along for an LDV. Sorry for the thread hijack! 

Not sure a Rover v8 would go in without major surgery. ISTR they were only ever fitted to the 400 series / Convoy.

Bizarrely I reckon the MGB engine idea has legs, loads of them around and excellent parts availability.

They need the 400 bulkhead, a friend conjured one up out of a Sherpa Postie van and a Police Riot van:-

http://www.cowdery.org.uk/fittingv8.php

Before:-

BHInside1.jpg

After:

BHInside3.jpg

Stay with the O series; a change to a twin carb 2 litre would see a good power boost and even these days can't be too hard to find. Once it is on t' road then worry about engine swaps if you have to, but get it going first.

And welcome!

Mrs Rocker had a Shirker in a previous life and harbours a secret desire that I will one day see sense, sell the Volkswagen for whatever squillions they seem to be worth* now and get us another one.   I mustard admit (see what I did there....) yours looks the biz, TW and I look forward to progress reports. 

I would be tempted to put a B in it for ease of parts and upgrade potential.....

Stay with the O series; a change to a twin carb 2 litre would see a good power boost and even these days can't be too hard to find. Once it is on t' road then worry about engine swaps if you have to, but get it going first.

And welcome!

I'm inclined to agree, TC crossed my mind and if I can find a good 2L O series I'd probably either go for that or an 1800 B - as you say it's far simpler and I've enough problems already 

Quick question with the username do you like Reliants?

Yes and no - Yes, I do like Reliants, I actually used to own 2 of them and always fancied a scim - A BRG 93 Robin and a bright red 80s Rialto - 'flemenco red' ISTR. It had the yellow top engine and went like the clappers... But no, Tom Williams is actually my name, it's not based on the bloke who started the company

Only problem is that you sound like the sort of bloke who'd probably end up restoring it rather than pinching the engine. 

Guilty as charged... I bought the Ambassador for its engine (1.7 O series) but now its in the queue for a MOT. Definitely like the sound of the pug diesel though, even if it goes against my principles of disliking diesels