The plan today is achieved,all sorted,no more downtime.old board now available for copy paste

daveb47

Unfortunately not as database for new board is incompatable with this version.

But i am installing new software board somewhere else so you can copy/paste posts.

This however will take some time as over 60gb of data to upload.

Ok no problem,not really life shattering stuff. I will see what I can remember and repost.

Thanks

Unfortunately not as database for new board is incompatable with this version.But i am installing new software board somewhere else so you can copy/paste posts.This however will take some time as over 60gb of data to upload.

Nice one Dave, does this mean I can copy and paste the post I recently put up in my spotted thread?

Thanks again,

Thanks Dave before seven for all your efforts. Shame the upgrade turned out to be a waste of time and it strikes me as a bit crappy that the forum software has an upgrade path with no way back in case it all goes wrong. These last few days have been like buying a modern car and finding that although it has some nice features it is in the main shit, and now we're back behind the wheel of our faithful old chod and it feels much better.

The trouble is, technology moves on. Old software ends up unsupported. Never upgrading is simply not an option.

Actually it is an option.

My ISP is plusnet. They were using an outdated version of SMF for years. In the end, like dave they decided they wanted to update it.. did so and now we have something even worse that is barely usable because of all the bugs.

I also have a motoring forum (only about 50 members) and i've not upgraded it for many years. That is partly due to the php version on the server being out of date and my mate (who owns the vps it's on) doesn't want to cause broken sites by upgrading it and so i'm stuck with an old version of phpbb however it just works... and there isn't any downtime either. Yes it gets targetted by spammers but i've got the countermeasures active and that holds them at bay rather well.

Don't get me wrong I know dave works very hard to keep this place running and he's clearly one of the most dedicated webmasters out there but I do think that he is opening himself up to more hassle than he needs (but thanks anyway dave - sorry if my replies have been a bit doom & gloom - i do appreciate you ;))

Old (upgraded)board is now up for a while if anyone wants to copy/paste anything from it.

Please dont post on there though.

Its a bit slow,just have patience,you will get there.

Still uploading some pictures,if they are not there try again later

http://fahl.us

I updated an old thread of mine the night the board died (I thought it was acting up, but I persevered), and the update has vanished. The old thread's still okay: would I be correct in thinking my update is surfing the void? It is an ex update that has fallen off its' perch etc?

I updated an old thread of mine the night the board died (I thought it was acting up, but I persevered), and the update has vanished. The old thread's still okay: would I be correct in thinking my update is surfing the void? It is an ex update that has fallen off its' perch etc?

Dedder than ded dedness.......

Ugh.

Not "War and Peace" ... But a lot of great content has been lost. That's a huge frustration.

I'm drawing parallels between this forum and what I do for a living (radio). There will always be new platforms and new methods, new encoding and new processing. Techniques will change and technologies will develop.

But.

What draws people to you is content. "CONTENT IS KING". Therefore, whilst you can broadcast in 5.1 surround, FM is more reliable, robust and straightforward.

I would rather we just adopted what have to, rather than risk audiences and content dwindling.

I'm aware that it's difficult to complain about something that is free. However, without people the whole thing collapses.

Thanks or everything you're doing, Dave. I'm sure you're even more frustrated than the rest of us.