Removing a snapped key from ignition barrel

beko1987

So, yesterday, I picked up a steering column. Happy days, except the ignition barrel has a snapped off key inside it and therefore can't be removed...

Does anyone have any experience of getting half a key out of the barrel? The bloke have me the other key that fits the barrel, so if the key can be extracted, the whole key can be used to release the barrel, and if so he would like it back. If not, no bother he said (he wanted it for his van as the steering lock is broken)

So, doable in a non destructive way or do I hammer the locking pin back to remove the barrel from the column? I've been offered a loan of a lock pick set with a hook thing if that would help.

Most barrels can be stripped once off the column and it's easy to get it out then. Otherwise a pair of very fine forceps (metal tweezers) can work but usually the springs on the mechanism stop that.

If all else fails and it will scrap anyway, I wonder if you make the remaining end into a point and connect it to one half of arc welder, then earth the barrel and insert the bit you have until it touches the broken half and fire it up. No idea if it would work but logic says there is a chance.

If all else fails and it will scrap anyway, I wonder if you make the remaining end into a point and connect it to one half of arc welder, then earth the barrel and insert the bit you have until it touches the broken half and fire it up. No idea if it would work but logic says there is a chance.

That's a nice theory but I think in practice it would arc across every gap in the lock mechanism.

Excellent suggestions, I shall try some of them! I don't have the snapped other side of the key sadly, just one complete spare which apparently fits the lock so if key can be removed then it'll fit and turn.

Not too bothered about scrapping the barrel though, its the column I want!

Ill have a look at it later and try a screwdriver and glueing something to what I can see of the key

Guest Hooli

I've seen the drop of superglue trick work before, just don't use too much or none of the key will ever come out.

As you don't have the rest of the key try it with the end of a thin rod.

Its a cit zx barrel/column too if that helps

That explains a lot. The place I used to work cut keys and that style Citroën key was a favourite one to get in two halves.

My teenage self was always amused that the blank code was SEX6

I would go with the superglue idea.