Good cheap tools

dieselnutjob

I have one and they are truly awful for bleeding brakes.

Best cheap tool I've got... probably a rechargeable LED inspection lamp from Aldi, I use it all the time. Better ones are probably available now.

BYR7660.jpg

Bought one of these from BandQ for a tenner, love it but it turns off without warning when the battery is dead rather than going noticeably dimmer which is a bit of a pain!

I have one and they are truly awful for bleeding brakes.

Best cheap tool I've got... probably a rechargeable LED inspection lamp from Aldi, I use it all the time. Better ones are probably available now.

BYR7660.jpg

Bought one of those a year ago.

Still unopened :(

Gonna go against the flow and say I use vac bleeders all the time and no issues . Different technique reqd . They will always have bubbles in the pipe as it draws from around the nipples . Best way is just to draw through a good amount (150ml) from each corner

I agree and have had good results even on complete new systems and minor repairs.

Yeah, Vac bleeders are a godsend especially when you have to do a full bleed on a modern with ABS and you have no help.

Best cheap tools though...

Last week I had to do a driveshaft on a Galaxy, and couldn't find the 17mm allen socket because that's the only time you ever need one.

Luckily I have a welder, lots of old sockets and a bucket full of wheel bolts.

20160620_110500.jpg

I've ran over about 8 of those Aldi LED lamps. I recently bought a re-chargable LED lamp for £15 off eBay and it's brilliant.

I was working in my lockup with no power and it kept it lit up for about 3 hrs. You can angle it, hang it off stuff. 

For a quick, throw in the boot socket set, I highly recommend the Halfords "Phaze" branded one. It's sometimes on offer for around £15 but I've never broken one

I hate the ratchets that come with these cheap sets but you can't go wrong at that price for one to get you out of trouble

Bought one of these from BandQ for a tenner, love it but it turns off without warning when the battery is dead rather than going noticeably dimmer which is a bit of a pain!

Mine does that, a bit of percussive maintenance gets it back up and running. I think the switch is iffy.

Another shout for the lidl/aldi grinders not that bad for the price really, Lidl spanners have taken a pasting on site just fine..  give the lidls allen keys a miss though made of fuckin cheese, That and britool expert an affront to the britool brand.

I wonder say cheap as such, But the teng socket set i bought 12 odd years ago as an apprentice has lasted pretty well, Cant beat free tools?! Some mad halfwit lobbed a canti toolbox in the skip at a house few doors down, Almost brand new bahco adjustable in there record stilsons bunch of whit spanners, Fill your boots :P

• 7 months later...

I bought this set recently and feel like I've had my money's worth, which was a bit less only a few weeks ago, already.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391347851942

The difference it makes when removing, and especially refitting, sprung hose clips is striking. I'm sure they wouldn't last a day in a garage but they seem fine for occasional use. The one on the left is good for accessible clips, the cable one is good for buried clips and the hook thing is handy for unsticking hoses. Even if you only use these three, as I have so far, it seems to be just as cheap to buy the set.

Another vote for the Aldi LED inspection lamp. Have two, one Aldi, the other B&Q - same difference. Tough (ie:can be dropped!) & last for ages when left on. Only downer - takes ages to recharge, hardly a criticism as they were under a tenner.

Not seen them since but got a cheap angle grinder from B&Q for £8 last year, thought it'd be shit and not last long but works as well as my expensive (it was 25 years ago) B&D item. Wish I'd got several now so could keep different discs in each! 

Lidl mini-grinder - like a bigger Dremel but at a fraction of the cost. Not as handy or nice to use as my Dremel 4000 but does most of the same things but what do you want for the low price?

Am-Tech stuff, seems cheapo looks-wise but the things I have are actually pretty good (big channel-lock pliers etc). One good buy is their 3/8" socket set, small, compact, has what you need, ideal for 'back-of-car' tools. I got two - one each for the decent cars, cost £11 each from ebay (don't know if they are still there). Better quality than you'd imagine at the price.