1998 Citroen Xantia 2.1TD. 11/02/2017 Force hail.

robinmasters

There was a 'possible sticking caliper' noise the way home. None the wheels were hot though. Just checked the wheel nuts, all ok apart from the offside rear-all for weren't much more than finger tight. Didn't Vugalour have a similar issue when he bought the white one?

Yes. That was my fault for not double checking after swapping wheels over!

Mine is a desire and the back seats which are original don't look as nice as they do. Very nice.

I don't think anyone's ever sat in the back seats. There was a caravan club sticker in the back window, so probably owned by giffers for most of it's life.

Yes. That was my fault for not double checking after swapping wheels over!

Ah. No offence. I think I have actually got a sticky caliper as well, and I will thank that caliper when I identify it for making me check the wheel bolts.

Looks a decent enough conveyance. Was it cheap and how does it drive?

It is the conveyance of a gentleman. Or at least it was until I bought it. It drives like a Xantia; light, sensitive pedals, which lead the new Xantia driver into excessively heavy breaking and wheel spin when pulling away. It's not quick 'off the line', but for fast, safe overtaking during wafty motorway driving its got more than enough power. It's rock steady at motorway speeds*; I'd forgotten how good decent hydropneumatic suspension is. It takes away most of the sensation of speed, and let's you corner at absolutely mental speeds, with only the fact that your arse is sliding towards the door to remind you that the ditch finders are likely to give up before the suspension does. 

Is £350 cheap enough for you? 

Is it the one without Hydractive?

If you've been doing well over the M-way limit then 35mpg is fine - otherwise check out the brake noise. Rear calipers can be pushed away from the hub carrier at an angle as the ally reacts with the steel, creating squeaky brakes.

I've a set of black leather seats if you want burnt cheeks on sunny days.

Thats a little heavy on fuel... my 2.1TD 406 is generally a little higher but I tend to use torque more than power. They're a grunty engine and if mine is to be believed can be fairly long lived... the top figure was Shitefest - not worked out the return consumption yet. 625db7768a6b40ebb81d5a46acabca37.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Is it the one without Hydractive?

If you've been doing well over the M-way limit then 35mpg is fine - otherwise check out the brake noise. Rear calipers can be pushed away from the hub carrier at an angle as the ally reacts with the steel, creating squeaky brakes.

I've a set of black leather seats if you want burnt cheeks on sunny days.

It's probably ok then. My commute is 17 miles, half of that on the motorway, so a good chunk each way is barely warmed up, and then 70mph*, then ten minutes stuck in traffic. 35mpg is fine by me; I only got a bit more from my 1.9D ZX. 

I'll check brakes anyway. I'm certain one of the fronts is a bit sticky. Drags a bit after sitting with the brakes (foot or hand) on, but seems to free up fairly quickly.

I'll pass on  the seats, thanks. I prefer cool cheeks.

The engine may well be working at less than it's capable of, with such a low mileage over all those years. Several thousand miles of hard work could do it a lot of good, I once collected a Xantia diesel which left a trail of soot for the best part of a mile up the motorway when I first gave it something to do. It improved mile on mile for about 6 months after that, with the right engine oil, better tyres and an engine which was going faster, the mpg improved from the mid-30s to the low 40s.

First up, a trivial thing; clock, stereo and central locking all failed the other day.  Fuse, obviously.  A fuse that failed because someone had fitted a 2 amp one in place of a 5.  It's not the only fuse which is wrong, but nothing was on fire when I open the fuse box, so I haven't got round the changing the other's for the correct values yet. 

Not so trivial is the MPG; I got just under 36mpg on the first tank, and concensus was that this wasn't too good.  However, it seems about right for someone who 'utilises the performance' occasionally, and does a lot of miles 'round the doors'.  36mpg might not be too bad, but when I filled up today it had gone down, significantly:

IMAG2286_zpsd3qdccvf.jpg

Not good.  Not good at all. 

I had noticed a slight drop off in performance over the last few days; no other symptoms, engine seemed to run ok, it just wasn't accelerating quite as well, and was running out of puff on relatively small hills.  I'd also noticed, or thought I'd noticed, a whistling.  I haven't owned a turbo car before, so wasn't sure how much whistling was acceptable. 

IMAG2289_zps5tlfdcwl.jpg

In the centre of the picture, you can make out a shiny bit, with a jubliee clip below it.  The shiny bit is the end of the pipe from the intercooler that the pipe with the jubliee clip on should be joined to.  That might* explain the poor performance & economy. 

Modifications. I've barely lifted the bonnet, and I'm covering the thing in shiny fake-chrome tat from Halfords. Well not quite, but I'm still a little ashamed for doing cosmetic stuff when there's still fixin' to be done.

First we go from this:

IMAG2177_zpsqs7bcff3.jpg

To this:

IMAG2178_zps1axqwu1c.jpg

Next, 'choons':

IMAG2182_zps6jvme7wt.jpg

Frustratingly the facia adapter doesn't quite fit. I've tried a few times, and this, with the slight gap along the bottom, is as good as it gets.

Subtle:

IMAG2262_zpsc4mr6qys.jpg

What do you mean, what mod? I fly-eyed the front fogs. It's not supposed to affect light output, I never use them as it's never foggy enough (as I don't live in Victorian London), and I've been telling myself it'll protect them from being smashed by stones.

I've also removed a load of window stickers. Caravan club, French toll road things etc. I didn't take pictures of the clean windows. I did add one sticker though:

IMAG2296_zpsvzinurvx.jpg

That MPG is utter crap. My XM rarely did worse than 45, usually more like 50. Even when I enjoyed myself. Which was often. If the brakes are binding badly enough to effect it to that degree, I'd expect the discs to melt. I'd be checking fuel lines myself, and making sure all filters are fresh.

Guest Hooli

First up, a trivial thing; clock, stereo and central locking all failed the other day.  Fuse, obviously.  A fuse that failed because someone had fitted a 2 amp one in place of a 5.  It's not the only fuse which is wrong, but nothing was on fire when I open the fuse box, so I haven't got round the changing the other's for the correct values yet. 

Not so trivial is the MPG; I got just under 36mpg on the first tank, and concensus was that this wasn't too good.  However, it seems about right for someone who 'utilises the performance' occasionally, and does a lot of miles 'round the doors'.  36mpg might not be too bad, but when I filled up today it had gone down, significantly:

IMAG2286_zpsd3qdccvf.jpg

Not good.  Not good at all. 

I had noticed a slight drop off in performance over the last few days; no other symptoms, engine seemed to run ok, it just wasn't accelerating quite as well, and was running out of puff on relatively small hills.  I'd also noticed, or thought I'd noticed, a whistling.  I haven't owned a turbo car before, so wasn't sure how much whistling was acceptable. 

IMAG2289_zps5tlfdcwl.jpg

In the centre of the picture, you can make out a shiny bit, with a jubliee clip below it.  The shiny bit is the end of the pipe from the intercooler that the pipe with the jubliee clip on should be joined to.  That might* explain the poor performance & economy. 

That'd do it!

Years ago I run a tweaked Tdi Discovery, the same pipe would blow off & I couldn't get over 35mph.

• 4 weeks later...

Competition. This is one of two threads on R-reg diesel Xantia estates. Bugger. And the other one is the forum bike. Double bugger. I'm one up on Beko though, I still have my ZX.

Down to business, and back to my esteemed colleague, the vacuum fancier. Beko mentioned his radio fuse; turns out the cigar lighter is the same-there's two slots for it, one for always on, and one for on/off with the ignition. I hadn't been using it, in case I left something plugged in and flattened the battery.

As it turns out, leaving my phone plugged in was least of the batterie's worries. Cold starting had become very bad. So bad, 7am the other morning two of my neighbours came out to stare at me. The 'two goes of the glow plugs' trick wasn't working, and when it did catch, big BIG clouds of white smoke. Tonight I swapped over the glow plugs from the ZX (Euro Car Parts seem to show same part numbers). If anyone ever tells you that one on a 1.9 XUD is a bit tricky, repeatedly punch them in the face while shouting 'TWO POINT ONE TWO POINT ONE'. They're all bastards on the 2.1.

IMAG2380_zpszd2p1qi4.jpg

That ZX engine looks far moister in the photo than it did in real life. Leaky pump, I think. Probably from the brief Lucas/veg experiment I carried out some years ago.

Terrible news. I bought some lovely cherry screenwash, last bottle in the shop. Smelt like cherry coke. Nice. Then the washer pump failed, which meant removing it, which meant the cherry water went on the road. I didn't dissect the thing to confirm cause, but the connector was all rusty-like. New pump (£6) fitted, and it's all squirty again.

IMAG2369_zps8f7qebck.jpg

Your washer jets point at the windscreen better than mine!

Didn't know that about the cigar lighter too, will check that out, I don't want mine on all the time, which fuse is it?

All my glow plugs are recent, so hopefully I'll have none of that this year, my cold start thing has been disabled though for reasons unknown

Did you get to the bottom of the horrendous fuel consumption?  Lead foot, perhaps?  Or something more sinister.

The really bad fuel consumption was due to an intercooler pipe falling off, the quite bad fuel consumption is, I think, due my driving. I haven't got round to changing fuel filter.

Your washer jets point at the windscreen better than mine!

Didn't know that about the cigar lighter too, will check that out, I don't want mine on all the time, which fuse is it?

All my glow plugs are recent, so hopefully I'll have none of that this year, my cold start thing has been disabled though for reasons unknown

They didn't! They were blocked, too. I suspect there was mank in the bottom of the washer bottle, and running it right down is what did for the pump.

The cigar light fuse is the one at the opposite end of the fuse box to the stereo one. At the bottom.

Cold start thing? The glow plug timer?

Firstly, fucksticks. I updated this, yesterday I think, and it's gone. Bugger.

Anyway, minor issue first; the hook thing that holds the load space blind snapped. Went on exactly the same way on my last Xantia estate too. Unfortunately the parts man at the Citroen was on lunch when I rang (do they still stock trim parts for 18 year old cars anyway? Sounds like something likely to stop soon), so I bodged fixed it.

IMAG2395_zps0wcshujh.jpg

More importantly, off on holiday tomorrow. St Malo. About five hours drive, and it's hot. Guess what stopped working today? The blower motor. After warning my wife, my daughter, and daughter's friend not to mention that I'm getting a new car, I let it slip. Car obviously heard me, and is sulking.

It's not the fuse, and a relay clicks behind the glove box somewhere. Is it the usual overloaded ignition switch? Is the blower motor borked? Tune in next week, after I've spent 7 days driving around with two sweaty, stroppy women, to find out.

The blower motor on my Xantia (admittedly a Mk2) didn't work at all when I bought it.

I dismantled the blower motor and gave it a good dose of contact cleaner on everything and it sprang back to life. Give that a shot?