1988 Sunny £600 with new MoT

Spottedlaurel

Sorry, this will initially be a rather poor for sale ad until I find time to get all the info together.

At some point later this year I need to work out what do about my ‘proper’ car. Currently that’s the Avensis Tourer on a PCP (shhh, don’t tell anyone). The brain-dead option for most people would be to hand it back and do the same again, but for various reasons I probably won’t.

So, I need a good everyday car. I might buy the Avensis outright, and/or I’ll get the Camry estate back on the road. Either way, I need some cash in my pocket and to reduce my motoring outgoings. I haven’t added up what it’s costing me to keep five cars on the road, probably best that I don’t…..

Although they’d fetch me most money, the Datsuns are the least replaceable cars I have and as both are garaged I see no need to get rid of either of them. So that leaves the Lexus and the Sunny, a bit more about them as follows and within this thread: http://autoshite.com/topic/22139-sls-fleet-lexus-trackday-fun/

1996 Lexus LS400 £700?

15618744825_e498a22e30_c.jpg

1996 Lexus LS400 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

15595054056_ac8a3c01af_c.jpg

1996 Lexus LS400 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Mileage shows about 75k, but I’m not sure if this is 100% accurate. In my time it’s had the oil/filter and brake fluid changed, skimmed discs and new front pads, a replacement spring and the exhaust repaired. Will include the 18†alloys and legal but not great tyres, plus a set of standard 16†wheels with poor tyres which I bought separately. These would be a more cost-effective option to get new rubber fitted onto. In an ideal world it ought to have a new cam belt and a replacement front upper control arm (cheap and easy compared to the lower arms), and if it doesn't sell and I can justify keeping it then I'll be getting those things done myself as I think the rest of the car justifies it. Or you could just use it until something expensive breaks and sell it to the banger racers, although that'd be a shame and too many are going that way at present.

15558481341_6de7548f7c_c.jpg

1996 Lexus LS400 - under the bonnet by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

It’s a fairly tidy thing, the interior is OK and with a bit of time and effort it could be quite decent. I think most of the toys work, but the AC might need a re-gas (I never use it, but the odd time I’ve put it on it doesn’t feel like it’s doing a lot) and the driver's seat heater seems ineffective. With a 4-litre V8 it’s never going to be economical but it’s amusingly brisk to drive and feels far smaller than it is. Some here say they’re bland, but they are wrong. Runs really well, even on trackdays the temperature gauge stays nice and even.

15375153657_0bdbfbdd1d_c.jpg

1996 Lexus LS400 - behind the wheel by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

All the displays and dashboard illumination work fine, the photo has made the stereo look a bit odd.

15374545309_4c99d3374a_c.jpg

1996 Lexus LS400 - interior by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

MoT is due February 2017 and it should be eligible for classic insurance – I have it with FJ and for a multi-car policy with the Sunny and both Datsuns I paid about £350 in total.

1999 Nissan Sunny 1.6 LX £850

24754451790_edca880a10_c.jpg

1988 Nissan Sunny 1.6LX 5dr (N13) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Bought in February with 36k on the clock, now showing 38k. It makes for a great summer daily driver, being quite nippy with the 1600 engine and it’s a very pleasant, light, easy car to drive. Good on fuel too, something close to 40mpg?

24423167603_9f537d3bc3_c.jpg

Condition-wise it’s nigh-on perfect inside and pretty good outside. There’s a bit of grot at the front of each rear arch, a little bit on one of the front wings, an odd patch on the tailgate and a bit of surface corrosion under the bonnet. That probably sounds far worse than it looks, and with the mileage, history and a bit of Doctor-esque rectification it’s the sort of car that would be up for four figures.

5980364038_e1f9d8ea7b_b.jpg

All photos above are from when it was with the previous owner, to show how clean he always kept it. The rest are since I’ve had it.

Since purchase it went straight through an MoT at the end of March and in celebration I had the cam belt (and tensioner) changed (no need to do the water pump, it’s separate) and new oil and filter. I’d already replaced the thermostat with an OE item, so it gets up to temperature quite happily. It has four matching Vredestein tyres with good tread and, even though I suspect they’re not particularly new, it rides and handles well on them. Clutch is good and brakes excellent (previous owner had a pair of front calipers replaced fairly recently).

25153687755_dfe68f330e_c.jpg

Sunny E16S Engine by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Only mechanical things of note are that the tappets could do with being adjusted and a couple of times it refused to shift into the 5th/reverse plane. I manually wiggled the linkage and it’s never done it again since.

25060427351_8745053537_c.jpg

Sunny Interior 2 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Toy count is limited on this early N13. No PAS/EW/CL, although it does have a stereo radio/cassette player. Trouble is, one speaker doesn’t work and the other doesn’t sound great. Apparently the previous owner didn’t use it much and it’s never bothered me enough to worry about sorting it. All fan speeds, wash/wipe and every HRW element work as they should.

25153708685_d32003bd49_c.jpg

Sunny Rust by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

So, are either of them of any interest on here? I can give more specific info if need be and viewings in South Norfolk are more than welcome (I won’t be at SF). I’m not going to be rushing to put them on C&C, Gumtree or whatever as I’d rather have a hassle-free sale, but later in the year I might have to go that way with them.

I live close to a mainline rail station and with both cars I’d have no qualms about someone turning up and driving them home wherever, but obviously a viewing would be good if possible. PM me for contact details.

Sorry, no swaps, raffles or FB/Gumtree-esque offers.

Thanks all.

Sunny is a lot more fun than might be expected. I hope to keep it long enough for a proper back-to-back comparison with Trigger’s Mk2 Astra (but please don’t let that put you off making me an offer).

The mid-late ‘90s Lexus is to my mind at the sweet-spot between the style and engineering integrity of the original 400 and the complexity (and lesser build quality?) of the 430-on models.

That lexus is fit, also aren't them gs300 sport rims worth some good money??

They probably would be if they were in good nick. Sadly these aren't, hence getting hold of the 16" OE rims.

Just the other day I saw a GS300 Sport with the optional 10" rears - I felt inadequate as mine are just 8.5".....

Thanks everyone else for the comments. I know selling on here is a bit of a long shot, as most of us already have more than enough on the go.

I rather liked the Sunny when I was lucky enough to drive it in Shotley. I like the "this is what the nineties could look like" dashboard styling.

Fabulous pair of cars.

Just drain out all the fluids and stash them in a corner somewhere for later.

I have tried many arguments for the Lexus to join our fleet. I haven't found one that works yet. Lads, Shitefest coming up. I need evidence.* Your job is to utterly sex up the Lexus to Mrs DW. Words like 'surprisingly economical' and 'fairly local, no, not in Norfolk at all.' Would help. I need your lies.

It's better than a Nippa?

That one is utterly doomed to fail. What she loves about the Nippa. It's tiny. It has manual steering. It has manual windows. It has manual locks. It has about four dashboard switches. It does 55mpg. No, she will not consider this fantastic, luxurious, every-extra barge to be better. I married a strange one.