1988 Sunny £600 with new MoT

Spottedlaurel

It is VERY strange how much this costs to insure! If I use all my no claims (I can't because it's used elsewhere :(   ) then it is only slightly cheaper to insure than the flaming Bentley! The Bentley on a classic policy is £230 and a normal one £283, this is £390 on a classic policy and £260 normal. Makes not a lot of sense to me... but then I am not an actuary!

Lexus now under offer. The buyer has asked for anonymity until they put their own collection thread up.

So, on the assumption that the Sunny doesn't suddenly go in the next day or two I have one last chance for a 5 cars in 5 working days challenge. Weather's looking good and I've made a decent start in using the 1200 today.

With a tinge of sadness on my part, but satisfaction that it's gone to a good home who I'm sure will make himself known here soon enough, the Lexus was collected this afternoon.

27916541710_8173e06969_c.jpg

Lexus off to a new home by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

When I was cleaning it up in the week I did wonder why I was selling it, and even Mrs SL thinks I should have kept it. For now I'm planning to put the money into the Camry then in a year or two I want to get myself in a position where I can buy a really good Mk4 LS400 for a four-figure sum. A combination of that for luxury travel and the Camry estate for practicality should mean I needn't bother with the Avensis after the end of the PCP.....

The Sunny is still here, looking slightly small in the gap where I used to park the Lexus. Depending on how accurate the speedo is, the last brim-to-brim tankful returned 38-42mpg.

To be fair, I don't know how accurate the gauge is, or how much fuel was in before, the pump didn't click off at £70, but the gauge did show a full tank. I've done 260 miles or thereabouts and it showed just under 1/2 when I parked up last night. I thought I would see if it has re-evaluated the situation this morning

A2F7CC6A-EBEB-46F7-8D48-8F3A5F4E9CEF_zps

I'm sure it will go down at a rate of knots now, however.

So, my first Lexus. I've always wanted an LS400, but never really knew much about them. I was dubious, Japanese cars have never really been my 'thing' and those I have owned have been brief encounters and limited to a couple of Honda's and a stint with an Almera. All of which were a bit boring.

Japanese cars aren't me, but big autos are. I've had an XJ8, a number of E38 7 series, which are the more conventional offerings in this class I guess. It's well known that I love BMW's, the E38 in particular as it is such a good looking car and drives well.

4ABA1706-925B-4230-B82E-14714585FE4F_zps

But come on, nobody can deny this is a good looking car? Gaffer tape n'all!

CA557872-103E-4959-B098-EAC7FD7C351E_zps

Yes I love the view from the front - mean and aggressive. But how does she drive?

I think the best way to describe her was identified in Nigel's first post on this thread - 'amusingly brisk' is very fitting. It's very much like the tattooed meathead skinhead from the council estate who's criminal life got him a nice house, he settled down with a family but still has that 'don't fuck with me' persona.

EF9F86F4-F8C8-46A0-A9C7-F10730A3E46F_zps

It's a very nice place to be indeed. Okay, the interior is typical Japanese and doesn't particularly ooze the class like an XJ8 or a 740i, but it's perfectly acceptable. Easy to use controls in a logical place and 20 years on there are no bits missing.

Putting the key in the ignition, the steering column comes out to meet you in the desired setting as dictated by the user and a turn of the key produces a quiet, but satisfying V8 burble. The auto box isn't clunky and in driving conditions it is one of the smoothest engine/gearbox combinations I've experienced. Select the 'power' (sport) mode and kick down ... Oh my god! It's much quicker than a car of this size ought to be. And she handles! I took the back roads home once I came off the A19 last night and she can be pushed into corners at stupid speeds and remains composed throughout.

C60D9B54-3D69-4E51-B14C-CA52D74EE8FD_zps

We all know I don't tend to keep a car long. In fact, there are only a small number of cars I have kept 'long term' because they have a special place in my heart. This car WILL join them (unless a sudden and drastic change in circumstances dictate I need to sell it, but for the price I paid, there's other cars I could sell for a bigger return).

Because I change car so often these days, I very rarely get the sense of excitement a new car purchase gives. Likewise I very rarely look forward to going for a drive (I do too many miles with work). This car excites me and I found myself driving pointlessly around this morning.

Next steps are a timing belt and tidying up the front bumper area and trialling the 16" wheels to see what difference they give to the ride. It does look ace on the 18's though, so I will probably refurb them and stick with them longer term.

Final words. Somebody needs to buy that Sunny. Nigel was kind enough to let me take it for a drive and she is a real honey. I'm fighting temptation to return to Norfolk and bring that home too!

• 1 month later...

Nice looking steed indeed. How much were these when new?

Somewhere not far off £50k I believe.

Anyway, I still have the Sunny and I would like to find a good home for it before winter and so I can get the Camry Estate in use again. I've been using it a fair bit for work during the summer and it's done a great job with 100% reliability. I'm getting circa 40mpg in mixed driving.

Obviously it has a bit less MoT on it now and the mileage has gone up a bit (clicked over 39k just this morning) so how about £750?

• 7 months later...

Sunny passed its MoT recently, oil and filter were changed and they sorted one or two other bits and bobs. Now that the Camry is going to be on the road again I probably won’t find as many reasons to use it, and a bit of cash would come in handy to pay the garage bill, so I’m putting it up for sale again. It’ll be more if I put it on Car & Classic, but before I do that is there any interest here at £600?