1988 Sunny £600 with new MoT

Spottedlaurel

I have tried many arguments for the Lexus to join our fleet. I haven't found one that works yet. Lads, Shitefest coming up. I need evidence.* Your job is to utterly sex up the Lexus to Mrs DW. Words like 'surprisingly economical' and 'fairly local, no, not in Norfolk at all.' Would help. I need your lies.

Well, a 20 year old tatty example with barely any service history running rather rich could achieve 30mpg on a run.

These figures can be...massaged.

*makes note to find DW at Shitefest and make loud appreciative Lexus noises*

I have to say, that if you have not yet dabbled in bangernomic V8 ownership - or even V8 ownership at all - and are very tempted but are finding your head worrying about ruinous running costs, the potentially enormous repair bills that come with larger/more complex components/auto gearboxes etc, then the LS400 is the perfect "starter" V8 for you.

The Lexus LS400 may be thirstier than your average car in day-to-day usage - for all the talk of 30mpg runs you will average no more than 20mpg if there is even a sniff of urban driving, and honestly, expect 15mpg around town. But if you are currently dealing with 30mpg on a day to day basis, then 20mpg does not represent a ruinous level of consumption - an increase by 30% or so - and the smiles-per-miles compensates wonderfully.

And yes, the LS400 does have potentially high repair bills. Its engine bay, while relatively straight forward on earlier models, is completely full with tubes and plastic boxes and all of the normal components are larger. Every single thing inside the car is electrically operated. Even the goddamn front head-rests go up and down electrically.The wiring on an LS400 must be properly pants-shittingly frightening.

BUT

You will not find a car that instills as much confidence in you in its ability to continue functioning forever. You simply won't. The word "over-engineered" is bandied around a lot, but the LS400 is stupidly - stupidly - over-engineered. You could find a 250k model with no service history and tatty bodywork...sit inside and the interior trim will still be refusing to squeak, to show signs of wear. Your gadgets will still work, although your heated seats may not as this was one of the few "weak" spots of the LS400. The engine will still settle down to a 500rpm tickover that is undetectable from inside the cabin - they stood a coin on its edge on the engine as it was running during the press-release and the coin didn't move. Every single one of its horses will still be there under your right foot when you plant it, and it will respond immediately. Even a completely unmaintained and unloved primative 4spd auto-box on an older model will simply do its job without blinking an eye, change remarkably better than cars half its age, and not give you any jip.

To sum it up, the LS400 allows you to experience a V8 and it permits you - nay, it encourages you - to simply not give a flying fig about the car's mechanical history, by virtue of being put together by people who's dedication to the longevity of their product has not been rivalled yet. Even the staunchest buy-on-condition-and-history consumer, once given just thirty minutes with an LS400, will realise that this is one example where you can genuinely let your guard down and the car will not have you for lunch. It'll just shrug and continue working.

Let me finish by saying that when Mason the LS400 was collected from my house at around 6pm by three very tired Scottish lads, on a very cold, black November day, with cold rain falling persistently, I had but the merest moment of worry. And then it was gone. The LS400, completely unprepped for a 500 mile journey northwards in adverse conditions, would look after them, and it did. It would probably have done a further 500 miles without even noticing.

And the best part is, on this occasion, you are not even buying a nail. You're buying a Shiter-owned example from a dedicated fan-of-the-brand. If you have read this far, just fucking do it. In fact, by reading up to this point you have shown a firm interest in the car and have committed to buying it. Congratulations, I expect to see a collection thread shortly.

If I could scrape together 700 quid, I'd love a crack at that Licksarse.

Not looking hopeful though.

I’m open to offers on the price. As much as anything it’s the running costs of at least one car I need to get rid of, and I’d prefer it go to someone who’ll use it rather than it just sit in a yard waiting its turn to be stripped-out and raced.

Oh, that Lexus is a cracker, I need to go and make some enquiries into insurance costs.

What size are the tyres on the 18" rims?

245 wide, I think 40 profile but I’ll have to check. It may be a relatively common size, as when I got some part-worns they had quite a few of them in stock.

I cannot get a sensible insurance quote for this car! Lancaster declined to quote and the classic comparison sites came back at just under £400. WTF?  So I am out sadly.

best of luck with the sale though. Hope it goes to a 'good' home.