Forum upgrade preview

daveb47

I am going to have to upgrade Autoshite to latest version of IPB forum,4.1 as this version is reaching end of life.

Wont be just yet as i have  a lot of work to do on New updated theme.

You can take a look at progress so far at

http://autoshite.info

login/password is same as here  & you can use board as normal but any posts you make WILL NOT BE SAVED when board becomes live as they will be replaced by latest from here.

Any comments welcomed.

Dont think we can have garage on  it as upgrade is much too expensive.

But can have Gallery.

Donations thingy is just for test so not yet working but donations can still be made thtrough here as usual.

Have to admit that i am struggling with skin for this,my health is getting worse and i  just cant concentrate or remember stuff like i could a year or so ago.

Would ideally like to sort a professionally  made skin but price is prohibitive.

how much is prohibitive roughly? I am happy to pop an extra "donation" into the pot and am sure there are many others who would do likewise...

Been quoted $300 to $350 which seems a lot but cosidering the work involved is about right.

Hi Dave - couple of comments, since you asked. Not sure if it's anything in your control or just part of the new version.

Images in the posts seem not to get so neatly resized as they do here currently. Also, the round avatar means that the background text in my carefully* cropped image appears to say 'ORLD OF SHIT', which seems a bit rude.

Neither is a great issue so please don't stress to do anything to change it. I'm sure we'd all rather you took care of yourself before any of this.

Donation made (here, not there).

Hi Dave - couple of comments, since you asked. Not sure if it's anything in your control or just part of the new version.

Images in the posts seem not to get so neatly resized as they do here currently. Also, the round avatar means that the background text in my carefully* cropped image appears to say 'ORLD OF SHIT', which seems a bit rude.

Neither is a great issue so please don't stress to do anything to change it. I'm sure we'd all rather you took care of yourself before any of this.

Donation made (here, not there).

Dont like round avatars myself so will probably change that.

Havnt done any setting up yet so not set things like picture sizes etc.

$350 is currently about £240 ,have to put half deposit remainder when skin is done,takes 2 to 3 weeks normally.

Would be nice to have a Pro skin i have to admit.

I'm also happy to contribute. Could the next version avoid starting words on one line and finishing them on the next?

Hopefully sorted on this version,try posting test post on test forum

Looks good, only comment would be can the pages on the main forum be altered? For long threads it goes 1,2,3,4,907. Could it do 1,2,905,906,907?

Thanks as always for the work Dave

Pretty sure that his can be sorted before it goes live.

will there be a "last unead post" button like on here?

Yes there will.

Just recieved reply from IPBtheme

Wotsit has replied to your support request.

Re: Possible custom skin

Sherri will certainly be able to replicate you skin and write a custom skin for 4.1.x.

I think she is away for the weekend and won't be back until possibly Tuesday.

If you can export a copy of your 3 skin and send it to us so that we can install it on our test site that would be great.

Custom themes start at $350

$175 deposit paid to start the design.

The remaining $175 paid on completion.

I just made a test post on the temporary board, and I like it a lot! It has Safari notifications! You can attach files from the quick reply box! And that 'extra line in quote boxes when something has been pasted into them' bug appears to have been fixed!!!

It has a lot more features than existing software,not even begun setting it up and exploring features yet.

You can take a tour here.

https://invisionpower.com/

After cosiderable deliberation i am having theme totally redone,keeping the trademark autoshite beige of course.

It’s good practice to upgrade to newer supported versions of any software otherwise we could be in the position where the forum is hacked by troublemakers so thumbs up to an upgrade. The appearance of the new forum on autoshite.info is a little harsh on my eyes (mainly down to the white background) so tweaking before it goes live would be a good idea.  Spending money on a new skin ?  Hmm, couldn’t a similar thing be achieved by tweaking the CSS file ?  I’ve done a bit of this myself in the past and if all you change is the CSS file it’s harmless yet there are plenty of things you can change. The Firefox browser as an example has quite powerful plug-ins for experimenting with CSS changes. The worst that can happen is that you mess up your new CSS file and have to revert to the one you started with. There might even be a volunteer among the membership to give it a go  (not me, sorry, as I’m full up reworking our kitchen).

It’s good practice to upgrade to newer supported versions of any software otherwise we could be in the position where the forum is hacked by troublemakers so thumbs up to an upgrade. The appearance of the new forum on autoshite.info is a little harsh on my eyes (mainly down to the white background) so tweaking before it goes live would be a good idea.  Spending money on a new skin ?  Hmm, couldn’t a similar thing be achieved by tweaking the CSS file ?  I’ve done a bit of this myself in the past and if all you change is the CSS file it’s harmless yet there are plenty of things you can change. The Firefox browser as an example has quite powerful plug-ins for experimenting with CSS changes. The worst that can happen is that you mess up your new CSS file and have to revert to the one you started with. There might even be a volunteer among the membership to give it a go  (not me, sorry, as I’m full up reworking our kitchen).

Its not as simple as it was when this skin was done,ipb skins are now respnsive& as such are coded totally differently to before.

This has its advantages so not a bad thing,for example the mobile skin is no longer seperate & automaticlly adjusts itself depending on what its viewed on.