warped* discs

gnorwebthgimi

Hi all, I replaced front discs and pads on my volvo S40 as there was brake judder. I also had the garage do both CV joints. The new discs (ECP's pagid) warped after a few thousand miles. Had the garage look, they said it was a warped disc, so I exchanged the discs under warranty and after about 1,000 or so miles I can feel the judder coming back. All wheels turn fine and none are getting hot to the touch if i am cautious in applying the brakes. I am thinking the hub is out of true but all I can do is get the opinion of the garage. Any ideas?

Get another refund then buy some proper quality discs...

They are cheap for a reason,as you are finding out

GSF are having another 42% discount weekend so go there for Brembos or suchlike

Make sure the hub is spotless.no rust ect

Check the caliper's/pads are moving freely.Any sticking means the pad will sit against the disc and transfer allt hat heat back into it

Don't leave you foot on the brake pedal when stopped. This causes a hot spot on the disk under the pad and can warp it.

Hmm this is interesting, I have had far too many warped brake discs in my motoring career and not always caused by gippo disks

The foot on brake when stopped causes pad transfer, which can be corrected by using brakes normally and would show up as an intermittent issue. I most definitely don't hold my foot on the brakes. Thanks for the heads up on the pencil trick I will try this if I get no where with the garage.

My brakes are warped somewhere I think, I get judder on hard motorway coming off at a junction braking. Front discs are 2 year old Eicher cheapies, pads are the ones that came with the car that have not worn in all the time I've had it, rears are just fucked and worn

I plan to change the lot, possibly for more ECP cheapies, but also give the calipers a light overhaul and cleanup.

One day, I just live with the slight vibration for now, although I am hoping my drove at 50 is caused by something dragging on the brakes, but again, that doesn't bother me too much anymore, just got used to it

Had this on a 240 volvo, had the front discs  skimmed, checked  run out ok but it soon came back, within a few hundred miles. I repeated this a few times until it was suggested to me to swap front wheels and tyres  for the back  wheels and tyres.

Oddly, it went away , and never returned.

Worth checking the wheels? Are they balanced properly or have you lost a balance weight?

I had similar juddering problems on my Capri and it was a wheel balance weight had come off.

As mentioned above, check the hubs where the discs sit against them. Any grime or rust etc needs cleaning away first as this can make the disc sit funny.

Guest Hooli

Just had another thought, are they the correct wheel nuts?

I once had a car with the wrong wheels & because the angle of the seat for the wheel nuts didn't match the nuts they kept coming loose which gave good vibrations....

You really need to measure the runout of the disc, will save all of this guesswork.

take out the pads, secure the disc with the wheel nuts / bolts - you will probably need spacers under the bolt heads / nuts but the disc must be properly clamped to the hub. (The pair of little screws* - if fitted - are not enough). If you dont have a dial gauge use a feeler gauge or even paper to get an idea of how out the disc is. Check both sides and all wheels.

** I once had a weird problem with those screws: fitted new discs did not have deep enough countersinks so the head of the screws held the wheel away from the disc, made a weird ticking noise, took weeks to track down. Threw the screws away: they are only an assembly aid after all.

Friend of mine had incurable brake judder on his vectra B which eventually turned out to be the hub/bearing. Replaced the whole unit with one from a scrappy so not sure which component was actually causing it

Sounds as though yours probably is discs though, if it's cured at least temporarily after fitting new ones.

Guest Hooli

Sticky caliper can cause judder too, they'll get sorted every time the corner is stripped down for discs too.

Some cars were never fitted with big enough brakes from day one, don't know if that applies here.

For evidence i bought an ex police driving school 827 @ 5 years old, direct ex plod so came with the mother of all print out service histories.

Noticed on the SH that it had a set of discs every few months, at least twice a year and sometimes three, and that continued throughout my ownership, it was seriously quick and i drove like a twat in those days, couple of hard stops from three figures and the front discs were toast every time.

Whenever i saw my neighbours Legend, same engine, the calipers and discs always looked half as large again as those on the Rover, never measured 'em for comparison but looked bigger overall.

As for the Ovlov here, are the rears doing their share of the work, or are the fronts overheating through imbalance or lack of effort from the rears?

I've been buying Mintex discs and pads for the past few years, no problems to date.

One wheel has different wheel nuts as I needed to get shot of the locking nuts in a hurry, don't think that is causing an issue as the only difference is the head size, they fit and haven't ever backed out. I'll jack it up and see if I can tell if it's running true on the hub. I'm fairly sure it's the driver's side that is the offending side (side with four normal wheel nuts)