It was only a matter of time..

Ecosse RM

Tell me more about the Two Ball rally...

Me and 17-Coffees are planning to take part in Rust 2 Rome next year (we were thinking this year at first but a friend of ours is getting married over in 'murica but isn't sure when, so neither of us can dedicate 2 weeks of holidays to a rally this year).

Rust 2 Rome seems quite pricey though. £500 budget for car, then it's almost £500 EACH for the participants' entry fees!

The Two Ball Rally has a car cost (to purchase) limit of £567, you can spend as much as you want on it after that, no prizes for spending less. You can take any car of any value but unless it's on the banger budget of £567 you don't participate in the daftness :-)

£500 entry fee for 2 people and £25 for additional team members, the 4 of us split the total so the more the merrier. There is a limit about people carriers and over 4 in a team I think you need to check with the organisers..

You also pick your own charities, some of these rallies designate who gets the funds you raise but on The Two Ball you nominate your own.

http://www.twoballbangerrally.co.uk/

Guest Hooli

I seem to recall at that age they got sold as the V70 Classic, to get rid of them when the new (worse to drive & look at) model arrived.

Sounds cheaper than Rust 2 Rome anyway!

The car doesn't need to cost exactly £567, right? It can be bought for less, I assume (but not more, durr).

Yes .. Limit is £567, less is fine. Balance between close to limit with little work or well below the limit with more pot luck :-)

I seem to recall at that age they got sold as the V70 Classic, to get rid of them when the new (worse to drive & look at) model arrived.

Im starting to check more than just the basics on these now, Ford, Daihatsu, Mercedes and VW have been most of my cars, liking the Volvo have to say, hope it makes it !

If it's running fine, it'll probably make it there and back. And be ready for a repeat.

As long as the cambelt is fine, they'll soldier on under a regime of total neglect, and occasionally repairing things when they break. Good luck with the run.

Belts were done about 30k miles, 4 years ago so I'm going with them as is.

Famous last words.. :-)

I wouldnt mind so much I'm 32 in July and can insure much more desirable, more powerful cars for cheaper

I've just insured this on a temp tpf&t for 6 weeks for £40 until we switch to the rally insurance, I'm 42. No idea what annual cost would be but I suspect it'd be more than I expect based on our other cars.

• 2 months later...

Well driving back fell through so as I'd become attached to my green Volvo I bought another which would be crushed allowing us to fly home... Blue Volvo or V2 as it was to become known seemed like a good idea but 4 new tyres, 5 new coil packs and plugs added to the cost.. I t-cutted for what felt like an eternity..

post-17817-0-14230800-1471819262_thumb.jpeg

... Then someone at my work decided it was a good idea after all to meet us at the end of the rally and drive back across Europe, just as well after all the parts!

post-17817-0-03741000-1471819525_thumb.jpeg

So, V2 is back and I'm even more attached to this one having driven through GB, France, Itay and Spain.

V1 is therefore up for sale, there's two new front strut carriers on it now as one sheered. Abs light is on more often than not which is about all I can see wrong with it. 2.5tdi (vag engine) auto. MOT'd til June 2017, £600 ono, less than I have in it but need to shift something, 2 Volvos, my Capri, the daily and the ever faithful Terios means I'm always rearranging to let the Mrs out in her Mini so time I was sensible again.... For now at least :-)

post-17817-0-20997000-1471819882_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Be been lurking for a while..... 5 cars in the household was deemed too many so reluctantly I sold my blue V70 and then my Capri ????....then our ‘wee jeep’ (Terios) bombed its MOT again.. 2 cars remained and then stupidly (hindsight is a wonderful thing etc) I got an old Honda HRV for dog/tip duty...this was rubbish.

Luckily I sold my blue Volvo to a friend, unfortunately he is known to drive cars to death. After 11 months living in Islay my blue Volvo came home and the Honda went to we buy any car.... they really do buy any car, I got half my money back and moved on.

I was 50/50 selling the Volvo in the first place but it was a case of ‘need car now, mines died’ so it was a deal but on the provisio I got first dibs when he was moving it on.

I shouldn’t have been surprised but 4 knackered tyres, no back brakes, half the lights out, track rod ends shot, dash illumination gubbed and to top it off looked liked his 2 Collie’s had lived in it after visiting the beach....on the plus he’s put a full exhaust on it and instead of me paying what he’d been offered trade in (which turned out to be zero) he stuck the keys through my door with the v5 while I was at work. (I’m now the 3rd and 5th owner).

Bit by bit she’s been resurrected, financially a bad move but I’ve got a soft spot for this old Volvo.

post-17817-0-83176900-1513105294_thumb.jpeg

Welcome back, we are all inexplicably attached one way or another to our old motors.

Good one on the V70. My dad kept his diesel S60 for 9 years, he loved it and I wished I could have bought it from him.

You have also been automatically enrolled in the SVM, Scotoshite Volvo Massive. You'll never leave :)

You’re probably right, I’ve bought parts for this Volvo I’ve never had to on any other car.. 5 coil packs before we went to Barcelona, an alternator last month, strangely though nothings too much! It’s away getting the dim dash panel board resolderd today after I got a new light switch only to find it only half worked and I’m waiting to get it back and washed to fit new mud flaps and wheel centres... I must be mad ????

You’re probably right, I’ve bought parts for this Volvo I’ve never had to on any other car.. 5 coil packs before we went to Barcelona, an alternator last month, strangely though nothings too much.... I must be mad ????

Nah, Ive shelled out some daft wads on repairs to hopeless old shite heaps (i.e. the Corsa) and yet I'm still forging ahead with an engine change in the face of the likely continuation of the onslaught of disappointment it started last year.

I must be mad ????

No... Volvos are great and definitely worth keeping. Every household should have at least one. I still have my 1990 740 GLE estate and a 1999 V70 T5 (200K+ miles and drives like new) and Six-Cylinder has his 1990 740 GLE estate as well, which is doing sterling service currently as a WBOD and furniture carrier.

It's really nice to see that you have taken your blue V70 back after all its adventures. I wish you many more happy miles in it! :-)

• 8 months later...

My Volvo affliction has graduated to the next level.... after much tinkering and more new parts than is sensible, dodgy central locking, randomly non opening petrol flap and questionable oil consumption I bid farewell to Blue.... next and for sale locally as I’m a lazy so and so... deal done T5 SE.

I now have iffy stereo and amp gubbins to investigate but 260bhp, manual and black leather...also not ex plod !

post-17817-0-32193500-1535666938_thumb.jpeg