Alfa Romeo 145 "Junior"

Station

I saw one of these 145 Junior's in Chester yesterday. It was beigey metallic or silver.

Alfa_Romeo_145_001.JPG

I can't say I've ever really noticed these 145's with the flat back before, did they even sell well in this country?

It looked very pleasing to the eye, and the strange Junior badge appealed to me, what is this spec level?

not too sure on the spec level of the junior.  iirc it was a 1600 TS engine, and would have been a cloth interior.

I had one many moons ago in 1.6 flavour, albeit not a 'Junior'.  it was a great hoot to drive, and pretty comfortable.  nicknamed the breadvan by the alfisti.

mine: 

DSC_1367.jpg

DSC_1369.jpg

I saw a 146 Junior in Barcelona last year and was inspired enough by the unusual (and throwback) nature of the name to look it up. 

From what I can gather, they were 1.4 powered, with the bodykit and alloys from the performance models. I've not knowingly seen one here but there seems to be a fair few in Italy, as you'd expect of course.

I like the 145/146 models, although they are pretty rare now. I think the 145 is my fave, if I had to pick, just because the styling is so squared off.

My neighbour from a few years back had a top'o'da'range one which would have been around eight years old at the time. I think it had been chipped, and it allegedly pumped out over 200 horses through the front wheels. It was a lovely looking thing and the interior was to die for. His words were, "It pulls so hard, it feels like it'll rip the front end off.' Sadly, I think he sold it a couple of years later as his quote was getting to the point of becoming quite literal.

Edit: looking above, I think his was a fruity 145, but not a junior.

Didn't the early Juniors have the 1.3 flat-4 from the 33, or am I imagining that?

Yes, they def had the flat four to begin with, though think they were either 1.6 8v or 1.7 16v. I'd opt for the smaller one, given a choice, the 1.7s were always a bit harsh after the sweetness of 1.3s and 1.5s in SudSprints.

Here's a cheapish one offered a couple of years ago,

http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/for_sale/alfa_romeo_145_1.6L_Flat_4_4871.shtml

I dont really like Alfa Romeos but I have a serious raging soft-on for one of these. Hopefully see the Chester Junior again and pop a note under a wiper.

Id love one with a boxer engine but suspect a 2.0 would suffice.

By all accounts at the time, the inline fours were an improvement, because they were bigger and more powerful. But I"d have one for the boxer alone, I love flat engines so much.

Wife had a 2.0 Cloverleaf 146 (same as that breadvan above but 4 doors) for 4 happy trouble-free years

I had a 146 boxer in 2014 for a bit and loved it. Reminded me of my earlier life with injected 33s - I should have kept it as only got £600 for it and it was clean underneath and metallic beige on top with BLUE seats.

It's a shame we never got the facelift dashboard in RHD flavour.

Buy one, before they are gone.  They are at giveaway values - it will be hard to find an expensive one

Someone I went to primary school with used to get picked up in an electric blue Cloverleaf very similar to the one posted above. Never seen another one, and there's certainly nothing else out there like them.

I've always really liked these, they never seemed to get much love when they were current and they always were quite rare. T-Spark engines need cambelts every 36k as well.

I'd love a cloverleaf in that blue or yellow

I had a yellow 2.0 ts, as bigfella2 has hinted, it was a fun car to drive. I don't really know why I sold it!

The flat 4 versions allegedly handle better, due to the lower C of G at the front. The ts is a very tall engine, well known for scraping it's sump plug off!

Pretty car. Probably fetch about a grand or so, maybe a touch more. It will however need a timing belt kit with a variation fitting almost immediately, and due to the unique running costs of this vehicle, that will set you back a tidy sum even if you DIY.

If you decide to Russian roulette it, then it will immediately repay you by shitting itself. I guarantee it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^ That confirms everything I've heard said about the boxer 145s. Engine not up to the job of shifting the mass of 90s shells, plus the 'box wasn't always great, along with weak clutch release bearings. 

I heard it all from new

But once I had my own, on the cheap, but as a 'classic' spare car for occational use, it was nice to drive IMO

i had the hardtop version of the spider - the GTV in 2 litre twinspark flavour.  added a cybox stainless exhaust and it sounded epic.  should never have sold it :-(

cambelt can be done by an independant for approx £600 service and new plugs.  not the end of the world, but does need doing every 36K/3 years, or as has already been said - it WILL shit the belt for you.  not good.

would buy another in a heartbeat.

oh, and if you get a 916 gtv/spider, get the phase 2- much nicer interior in my opinion.  also, if you can wangle one with 17" teledials, do it. they are like rocking horse shite.  be wary of any with 16" teledials, as they are the wrong offset, so need spacers to look right.

GTV in 2 litre twinspark flavour.

cambelt can be done by an independant for approx £600 service and new plugs.  not the end of the world, but does need doing every 36K/3 years, or as has already been said - it WILL shit the belt for you.  not good.

I took my 155 TS to another 60k without problem.

BUT that was because the bad early plastic idler was changed when it had the belt done earlier in life.  For those earlier CF1 engines it was worn idlers and letting the oil go low that killed so many

You could do belt yourself (with the locking tool set).

The platinum plugs were listed for changing every 60 not 36, which you could do yourself too.  But the Independents had to make their money somehow