Korean classic in the making -MOT time

oldcars

Here is my Kia Shuma. Its a 2001 SX model so have such luxuries as electric windows and a armrest.

I have had it since 2007, when my grandfather sadly passed away my gran wanted me to have it as she knew it would be looked after. Its been a very good car, other than tyre's and other bits and bobs its not needed much mechanical stuff but it does like to rust. The rear quarter buy the mudflaps rotted both sides so this was all cut out and repaired. Both arches have been tided up and the sill end welded for the past mot.

Its been machine polished recently and i have started sorting out the little bits. The black on the wing mirrors was tatty so last week it was satin blacked and one mirror repainted. The front bumper was hit years ago and the paint cracked so that needs fixed and the wings are a mess (flattering photo  :mrgreen: ) so they will be sorted to. Wheels to get satin black and the trims re painted as i made a bit of a mess with them a few years back.

Interior is mint, need to take a photo of it. Here is an exterior pic as of yesterday.

All cars like to rust behind mudflaps, that's why they are the first thing I toss, when I bought a car so equipped.

Mate said that as well, but when all the rust was cut out there was a large chunk of sound deadening foam behind the arch that held all the water and rotted it out. Was really bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Not mush happening with this just now, going to make a start soon. Washed it on Saturday and a big chunk of the wing came off  :-( They are a bit bad. For £100 per wing i can get new ones from Kia from a dealer. Any other ways to get new ones cheaper?

1/2 cut a better one.... But while the owner isn't about ;)

TS

• 1 month later...

I have been doing a bit of work on this over the last few weeks. Its repaid me buy some running issues.

I have had all the wheels off and repainted them and the trims. Need to take a photo of that. All the underside was cleaned up and undersealed up where needed and i wire brushed, painted and waxoiled up the rear subframe which is looking grim indeed. I can see that needing replace in the near future.

The car now seems to have a lump idle and hesitates a bit from time to time so need to look at that. The exhaust needs replacing as its blown so not sure if that could affect it? Feels like it needs a bit of choke :)

Nice car, I can't remember the last time I saw one of these. I don't remember them being all that common even when they were new.

I bet they make great daily drivers, reliable and cheap to run. Much like the old Hyundai Accents, Lantras etc, really good cars but people can't seem to see past the badge if that makes sense.

Good to see the under sealing and attention to the body too. Tbh I think £100 for a genuine new wing is pretty good, that's the option I'd take anyway.

Good simple motors from the days before Hyundais became fashionable and doubled in price, same with Kia.

Used to deliver lots of Lantras and Accents on the rental fleets, after defleet carried hundreds of the buggers down to Eastbourne and the like where they sold like hot cakes, some Kia Mentors too which i developed quite a semi over.

My lad in his really hooligan days owned an Accent MVi and a Huyndai coupe F2, these were the first cars that refused to break despite his very best efforts.

Never had much to do with Shuma, but daresay its another Accent/Lantra in a different frock, and sod all wrong with that.

Mentors are nice, same as the Shuma but with a boot. It makes a good daily, was mine for years, but the Reliant does that job now its shorter but hanging on to this one.

Plan if i can afford it is to get the wings replaced and painted in the winter time as they really are bad, next job is to try and sort the running issue out then is onto painting the bumper where its damaged from someone bumping it in the carpark years ago.

That's worth it wish i had a bit more room  :-( Wings look good and its got factory mats  :mrgreen:

Mot history is good to. Funny has undertray as an advisory, never had one one mine.

Not mush happening with this just now, going to make a start soon. Washed it on Saturday and a big chunk of the wing came off  :-( They are a bit bad. For £100 per wing i can get new ones from Kia from a dealer. Any other ways to get new ones cheaper?

I don't think it's too bad really, and what I would do with a keeper if I could afford to. Back 1998 I was after a wing for the Stellar, and a new one was £145 from the dealer even then! I had to make do with a scrapyard one, as I just couldn't afford that as a poor student.

Did a little more on this last night. Couple of the jacking points has some surface rust, this was ground back and kurust applied, then some isopon zinc 182 applied. Top coat colour has been ordered and i appear to have two big tins of lacquer already so that's handy.

Been painting the bumper. Few years back someone reversed into it and cracked the paint which lifted off and was a mess. First effort was terrible but this time looks ok. I will machine polish it up. Might wet sand it a little first. Pic shows lacquer just done. Just middle done where plate would be tried to blend best I could.

My Stellar has already started to reject my efforts with Kurust and Zinc 182 on the rear arches.  If I keep it, I'll have to get it done properly.  

Your Kia's bumper has come up well. Was the paint colour matched? It all looks the same shade so can't be bad.  I would not dare to mop painted plastic for fear of the whole lot just pulling off.  Good luck with that!

Thanks, yes not too keen on machining it. Might try habd first but will leave it a few days. Paint was from paint4u been impressed with the match and the quality of nozzle on the can. Rear arches have been done on my kia from the bodyshop and holding well. You should get the Stellar done looks good in pics.

• 3 weeks later...

This is running badly, handy when the Reliant's broken because i'm a crap mechanic.

Could not get it it started the other morning so walked to work. Guessed battery might need charged so when i got home i though i will try and fire it up before just to check. Started no problems. Yesterday morn was fine too but last night after work the check light came on. 3 codes, one 02 sensor that always pops up as pending, a P0100 with seems to be mass airflow. might have something to do with the bad idle and the hesitation, what do you think?

Also a P1690 i think, no word of it in the book i got with i reader but online it says something about a starting issues. No idea where to start to be fair  :?

A MAF related issue could certainly explain it running badly. O2 sensor unlikely if it's running badly from initial cold start, as typically the O2 sensor isn't used until the engine gets up to temperature.

From what I could see after a brief Google, P1690 points at an immobiliser related issue, which might explain why it didn't want to start whatsoever. Search "Kia P1690" and you'll see a few topics about it.

• 1 month later...

Wee update. This has been sorned now since the start of October. I checked over all the earths and cleaned them up. Car started first time and seemed to idle a lot better. Trying to track down a oem airflow meter for it, then get the wings replaced once i have it running better.