Mk3 Astra 1.6 LS - £175

RobT

I bought this purely as a stop gap, so before I get attached to the bloody thing would anyone be interested?

MoT until October, it's a 1996 so eligible for classic insurance, and apart from the driver's door lock being a bit random and some grot on both rear arches is pretty decent. Not a huge amount of history, but in 2014 the head was skimmed together with new gaskets, thermostat, waterpump and cambelt. It does have a tendency to run hot in traffic, but when the fan kicks in it brings it down to halfway and stays there.

It recently did 640 miles in four days without issue, and is reasonable comfortable too. Averaged in the low 40s mpg, and typically for Poxhalls of this period the engine is nice and quiet with decent amounts of poke for a 1.6

Pics

post-5013-0-78667500-1465519218_thumb.jpeg

post-5013-0-81284500-1465519997_thumb.jpeg

post-5013-0-29924600-1465520026_thumb.jpeg

post-5013-0-06254300-1465520046_thumb.jpeg

My 95 Cavalier 1.8 runs hot in traffic.  It doesn't overly concern me because I've had six of the buggers and I've yet to meet one that doesn't.  They did when they were new.  I'd imagine this is much the same.  That's bargain motoring as these are unburstable with the 8v engine.  

Yes it's the SPi. You'll be doing Nyphur a favour if you buy this as I fancy the Colt but need shot of this first. I'm trying to get rid of one before buying another, but it rarely seems to work like that.

It drives really well and is clean inside. Normally I have to de-skank new chod but this is very tidy. Bumpers and plastics could do with some treatment, which I might have a go at tomorrow to improve its appeal...

Engine looks similar to this, which I presume is the SPi.

It was pissing out oil from the oil filter when I bought it, so that has been replaced plus an oil change. So the front of the engine could do with a clean, but the main thing is it's oil tight now.

post-5013-0-73542900-1465684157_thumb.jpeg

Very much A to B motoring Scott, but I mean that in a good way. Relatively vice free and a nice quiet engine, rides better than my Cavalier too but I'll admit that's shagged so not really a proper comparison. Handling is dull but predictable.

I nearly bought a pre-facelift 1.4 CD but opted for this instead as it was closer. That sold for £180 in the end, as did a decent, low mileage 1.4 LS that I also considered, so they can be had mega cheap.

This seems absurdly cheap to me. What are these things like to drive? Any appeal whatsoever, or pure white goods, as I rather suspect they are? I have been eyeing up a few top spec examples recently, the styling is just coming in to its own I reckon.

Won't set the world on fire, but I'd argue these are absolutely the best and most reliable small hatchbacks of that era. Would love another white 3 door 1.4SPi LS one at some point.

...best, most reliable and also the least rusting generally - but not the best handling in the world.

Looks like I am coming to get it.  Would next Friday be possible?  I prefer early unless I get stung for expensive train tickets.  Please let me know where you live or the nearest station and what arrangements you suggest.  Thanks.

...best, most reliable and also the least rusting generally - but not the best handling in the world.

Looks like I am coming to get it.  Would next Friday be possible?  I prefer early unless I get stung for expensive train tickets.  Please let me know where you live or the nearest station and what arrangements you suggest.  Thanks.

Yes, PMs sent with details, thanks.

I've got a 1995 Astra estate 1.4 8v MPI. They just keep going. :-D Look out for rust on the sills,right underneath, near the rear wheel arch. Meant to be a common spot for bad rust. :-( They don't seem to rust anything like a MK5 fiesta, for example. :-P  I replaced my standard 14'' steels with a set of 15'' LS alloys, and made the car feel much more stable, but less forgiving over bumps.