La Petite Voiture Orange 2/7 - à vendre

JohnDeere

Five tyres ordered from tyreleader.co.uk. Went for Falkens on the basis that they're cheap enough and look like they have a simpler, lower rolling resistance tread which should suit the Visa.  Need to check my tyre fitter (Guyhirn Tyres) can manage and centre three-stud Citroen wheels on his new kit.  In an ideal world I'd de-rust and repaint the wheels as part of the process, but won't have time to do that before Shitefest, so will have to worry about that later.

Going to see if I can fix the windscreen washer later after work... will also see if I can leave it at the garage over the weekend and next week to get the test done.

Whizzed the Visa round to the local garage (same one used by CraigthePrincess I think) and asked them if they fancied working on something a bit different.

I'm going to leave it with them for a few days from tomorrow, and I've asked them to do a pre-MOT check, do the brakes and identify what needs doing -- I've set them the challenge of getting a clean-sheet MOT pass with no advisories. Then I'll bosh the new tyres on and put it through the test hopefully just before Shitefest.

Have discovered that it's not a big fan of starting cold (doesn't like full choke), or hot (fuel vapour smells and lots of cranking before it would fire).  A good service, a bit of tlc to the carb and an Italian tune up should help.

Great to see you're alreadycracking on with it! You've done more in a day than I did in a couple of months. It should start fine from cold, just give it the tiniest hint of choke and a few pumps of the throttle and it'll go. A good service sounds sensible, regardless

More Visa news.  First job done. Barrett let me know that the windscreen washer water wasn't washing the windscreen. Say that out loud a few times.

A test with the magic meter showed that there are volts and amps and all manner of electrickery reaching the pump when the button is pressed. That is a good thing. Obviously this picture shows 0v, but I couldn't squirt and shoot at the same time:

post-5450-0-60505600-1465498974_thumb.jpg

Let's have a look at the pump. This doesn't look so good...

post-5450-0-33160400-1465499111_thumb.jpg

In fact the contents of the tank were some form of primeval slime. I had David Bellamy knocking at the door. I then followed the Haynes Guide to Vulgalourising your car....

post-5450-0-52324300-1465499183_thumb.jpg

And it came out nice and clean. Add a bit of blue...

post-5450-0-41814100-1465499270_thumb.jpg

Final clean up of the nozzle with a needle, and...

post-5450-0-11662400-1465499519_thumb.jpg

We have water... and one less thing to fail the MOT.

Shit. I just realised that by posting the Visa pics without blurring out the (rather fine DMB) number plate, it could be now be cloned by every other dodgy internet user with an orange Citroen Visa. I expect an avalanche of speeding tickets and parking fines.

Most existing Visa's have their photos from previous owners in the Citroen Visa Forum but as there are few & far I doubt if it gets cloned. The police might stop you just to have a look at a car they can't figure out. Six Cylinder is very Visa!

Most existing Visa's have their photos from previous owners in the Citroen Visa Forum but as there are few & far I doubt if it gets cloned. The police might stop you just to have a look at a car they can't figure out. Six Cylinder is very Visa!

Don't worry, tongue was firmly in cheek. You'd have to look far and wide to find many others.

Flat twin starting procedures: 

Cold

Bit of choke (rarely full, especially in summer), no throttle until it has caught.

Hot

Foot to the floor, keep it there until the engine catches. Do not pump the throttle.

Perfect - thank you. It's been too long.  I realised I had far too much choke for the cold start and hadn't got a clue for the hot,

I seem to recognise that washer pump as being the same as the one on the rear screen of the CX Familiale. Especially the primeval slime.

And pretty much made of unobtanium based on my quick search for "citroen avri pompe" (Avri is the OEM).  Lucky the pump is OK (I only noticed the crack in the top next to the electrical contacts *after* running it under the tap.

OK I am up to speed now, I came into the office early to work but I am so easily diverted!

This weekend is the Citroen DS Car club rally near Milton Keynes, all Citroens welcome. I will be there with one of my 17RD s and I hope for shitefest to get out my Twin. Trouble is your Club model is so posh compared to my Special!

The Green Visa was at a show in Holland a few years ago.

post-4787-0-11669400-1465536372_thumb.jpg

What is it with Citroen Visa's and fruit?  I'm sure there's a yellow one out there that's been displayed alongside a truck-load of Fyffe's finest.

Edit:  GFGI.

5699779897_ae42e3cc51_o.jpg

There is also a red one displayed with tomatoes but I can't find any pictures of that.

I could tell you why but that would spoil it!

BECAUSE YELLOW

b7b60098f6845b721f537dbf9fc3aec8.jpg

I absolutely love this picture. It's probably one of the best car photos I've ever seen - brilliantly thought out and composed. Even down to someone finding a set of yellow wellies - and not brand new ones that would have stood out, but nice tatty old ones that blend in.

When is the show display with it covered in oranges happening?

Marvellous idea - will you bring some citrus fruit? (Probably not good for the rust).  Funnily enough the same orangey-red colour is very popular in new car colour options at the moment. In other words, I'm bang on trend.

Top pignose purchase, and great to see Vulgalourising tout suite. I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again. My ex from many years ago owned mustard yellow Metro 'Kan 166W'. I guess it's paperwork would have been sat on the same DVLA desk when your Visa was registered.

AN is a Reading number. Back then each dealer was allocated a block of contiguous numbers rather than playing lucky dip on the DVLA computer. I guess the Reading Austin Rover dealer got the next block after the Citroen dealer.

Good news just received on the Visa. I had asked my friendly local garage to give it the once over - with the plan of getting a clean-sheet MoT with no advisories.

It only needs...

Offside dip and main beam sorting out (I hadn't even tried the lights)

Front brakes freeing off (currently binding)

Offside rear wheel cylinder leaking (they'll replace both and renew brake fluid)

The CO is also high, but hopefully a bit of an Italian tune up will help there

The brake pipes which had advisories in the last two MoTs are perfectly fine apparently - their tester could see no reason why they'd been flagged.

Not a bad result and stuff I could do myself quite easily if I actually had any time between now and the MoT running out ... so I'm taking the easy option.

Should have it back next week - my five new tyres also arrived yesterday, so will get those put on the Friday of Shitefest.  Happy days.