Autoshite Track Events

The Moog

I'd usually do 10-15 minute sessions, with a cool down of 5-10 mins between them. If I'm sharing the car, it gets a lot more stick, last time I think we were out most of the evening with only two breaks. The little Mazda was suffering towards the end, the clutch was overheating and the brand new brake pads were destroyed. Damn good fun though :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

T1-R's like to melt a bit - They're not really up to sustained abuse on track (albeit they're a decent enough tyre). 

I just bought 4 for our Cougar for the track. Didn't make it up today, been busy swapping an inner CV joint on the S4

No damages :-)

This morning was brilliant, only 4 groups.

We had a driver in group 1 & 4 which meant that the puma got a real hammering.

The new tyres and brakes made such a difference, much easier to drop from 85 ish to 30 to go round the hairpin.

This was quite handy

50db230fd8e9ebec6b2ed547ae51873f.jpg

Only downside was the brake fluid boiled . Pedal went almost to the floor on the straight at one point.

We used a tank of fuel in just morning sessions. I think we got 8 sessions in before lunch.

Took a trip to tescos at lunch to fill up and halfway there the front right brake were squealing. Couldn't see anything obvious so limped to Halfords and bought some tools.

bfb930182808285bcebdfa1403a36559.jpg

This might be the problem

123912883dbf4838b67256fcf360a5f0.jpg

Meaning new brake pads look like this

5916deb5eb6f5a2357d57752640988ee.jpg

Halfords only had pads for focus in stock and so at that point I decided to call it quits and come home.

I think new front calipers plus brake fluid is need next.

Was great fun, 57million/10 for buying tools and taking it apart at Halfords.

Craig said he arrived to Puma parts spread everywhere :)

I parked round the corner so as not to get stared at. Everything was covered in brake dust so looked like a back and white minstrel show presenter.

I think the puma got about 18mpg over the day. And then drove 250 miles home

Thinking about it I think the brake hose has probably perished. When I took the caliper off the sliders were ok and piston retracted easily enough. 

The brakes themselves hardened up over the day so I wonder if the hose became a bit of a one way valve.  

Probably best if I replace both calipers, pads and hoses - brake upgrade time? 

You should've came to mine for tool borrowage/tea drinkage-I'm only about 5 miles away!

He only went to get fuel at that point!

I parked round the corner so as not to get stared at. Everything was covered in brake dust so looked like a back and white minstrel show presenter.

I think the puma got about 18mpg over the day. And then drove 250 miles home

After fuel up today I averaged 20mpg.