Autoshite Track Events

The Moog

I'm up for it - just need to check time off work. The trackscotland sessions usually sell out well in advance, I'll be booking as soon as I know for sure.

There is usually a broad mix of cars there - anything from porsches, evos, subarus to mx5s, elise's, clios and usually a smattering of race minis and bmw compacts. Track etiquette is good but some of these guys take it very seriously, it does feel different to public sessions but is still enormous fun. Keep a good eye on your mirrors, 1000bhp of evo can appear from nowhere in the blink of an eye :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Smashing day out. As always good company.

No photos as too busy driving. Look to have killed another set of brake pads. Stopped at Moog in laws to change them and they are fine but very low.

Someone managed to put a civic on its side.

Quickest time was two seconds slower than last time out, although used a huge amount less fuel. Will upload the map later.

what a smashing afternoon, great to meet some of you guys at long last.

the little Mazda performed brilliantly as always, I reckon we must have easily done a hundred laps today, a number of them could be politely described as enthusiastic ! sadly that's the last one for this year but I'll be booking up for february as soon as they release the date.

keep an eye on the trackscotland website and facebook page for photos, there were several fancy looking cameras there, hopefully they weren't just taking pics of the pretty cars :)

I had the pleasure of a couple of passenger rides today.

First up was Mr Moog in the little Puma. Very smooth and quick, the Puma feeling very healthy and composed from where I was sitting. Could definitely handle some more power though.

Then came Mr GM in his MX5. I never noticed his horns when I got in the car but bugger me he drove like a demon. It's safe to say he can pedal the little Mazda. Very impressive.

Thankyou gents for taking me out today, it was much appreciated

I may be looking at Mazda's now instead of Clios for a track car.

Literally just back. 15 hour round trip including 5 hours on track.

Counted them and we did 86 laps. You lapped us a fair amount so probably closer to 100.

Attached my fastest lap. Couldn't get it below 1.15 which is 2 seconds slower than last time but with passenger.

I think GM finished off Craig's lack of confidence. He wouldn't drive after your two laps plus seeing the civic on its side.

Definitely will need to buy an MX5.... cdad87aaf93817b71d8ea6496b3c84df.jpg

I think GM finished off Craig's lack of confidence. He wouldn't drive after your two laps plus seeing the civic on its side.

I really hope not, it was certainly never my intention to frighten or upset him. I will happily take him out in my car next time and give him some tuition if he would be interested ?

the civic was a stark reminder that whilst we were all having fun, things can go wrong with serious consequences. the civic lads walked away unharmed although their car is borked, it would be interesting to hear what did cause their accident - was someone being silly, was it a mechanical failure, just bloody bad luck ?

I suspect that they sold more places than normal, coupled with a lot of cars having more than one driver - resulting in a much busier track for most of the day. it's not normally that busy on the four hour sessions, there are times in the past where I've worried I've missed a red flag as the track was so quiet !

would anyone be interested in sprinting or hillclimbing ? there are several local clubs that run 'trackday' sessions to encourage new members - only one car out at a time, maybe good for confidence building ?

some links :

the East Ayrshire car club

http://www.eastayrshirecc.co.uk

who run sprints, trackdays and autotests down at Kames (there's an autotest on Sunday 12th Nov)

Monklands Sporting car club

https://www.mscc.org.uk

who run hillclimbs and trackdays at Forrestburn (they are having a production car trial next Sunday, might be worth a look)

Glenrothes motorsport club

http://www.glenrothes-msc.com

who run rallies and autotests - the Crail stages rally is on 11th Nov which should be worth a look

The Scottish Sporting car club

https://scottishsportingcc.wordpress.com

who run some cracking Autotests down at Ardeer, Ayrshire in the grounds of the former Nobel explosives factory -

next event 25th Nov, venue tbc but will be either Ardeer or Johnstone, Glasgow.

Eunos Ecosse

http://www.scotmx5hillsprintreg.co.uk

the Scottish mx5 hillclimb and sprint series, designed with tight regs for low budget access to very competitive motorsport.