Autoshite Track Events

The Moog

• 1 month later...

320touring waved the fact that there is a track afternoon at Knockhill on 23rd September.

It is open pit lane so can be run as much or as little as you want.

I am potentially taking the puma, but wanted to see if there is a) anyone else fancies coming along or B) wants to come and share the puma.

• 3 weeks later...

I have booked my place on the day.  

If anyone fancies trying this out you are more than welcome to come and co drive the puma. Its is normally a hoot and with new brakes plus suspension the little cat should be a decent drive* 

*ignoring the brace rubbing. 

Hilarious though it would be to blast around there in the Riva, knowing my luck it would probably blow up.

The 107 could be a laugh - especially if there's someone there in a Panda or similar as that could be an interesting comparison.

Been around there twice before in the distant past in utterly inappropriate vehicles, but really regret never getting there when I had the Cappuccino...on a twisty track like that I'm sure it could have surprised a lot of far more powerful cars.

Fantastic track to drive though...really need to get back up there someday.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to come along again at some point.

I was (virtually) driving around Knockhill yesterday... In Milton Keynes!

I was at a sim racing place. You sat in a bucket seat with a proper steering wheel and pedal set (complete with really heavy brake pedal) and 3x 40" screens right in front of you, with the outer ones angled, resulting in a 180 degree field of view.

I drove a Clio Cup round Knockhill, and a GT3 spec Camaro around Road America, and a DTM spec BMW M4 around Hockenheim. :D

It was a birthday present that RantingYoof got from his sister, so I was invited along as one of the participants. I actually won two of the three races... but not the one at Knockhill! D'oh!

I think it worked out about 13mpg for puma. Just back now to Accrington.

Excellent day although arms really ache now.

We pretty much managed to do about 40 ish laps over the 4 hours. Traffic was much better than normal hot hatch days with less knobends.

Driving Tickmans MX5 certainly highlighted the limitations of the puma but also highlighted my rubbish attempts at driving.

Once he had downloaded the track app, things got a little competitive!

The pumas seats are pretty shit and you slide about a fair amount especially when you get a bit braver and quicker.

Last time out has a little bit of an off, when I went into the first corner at 70 rather than my usual 65 ish. Car decided to swap ends and I decided to call it a day. 8752419d198809fd1cb5d4c927028a03.jpg086ee71fa4b385e53b6c1b6fc523f4b2.jpg

Sounds like you both had fun, I wish I had been off work as I've missed loads of track sessions this year, I'm desperate to get back up to knockers.

It's great to see little AVO still notching up the laps, I reckon that car must know it's way round the circuit pretty well by now. Of the 6 mx5s I've owned that one was my favourite, in several hundred laps of Knockhill the only trouble I ever had was a snapped fan belt, a great little car.

The four hour open pit days are so much more relaxed compared to group sessions, there's no pressure to rack up the laps, just come and go as you please, if there's too much traffic just take a break or drive through the pit lane. I can't believe you only managed 40 laps though ? I reckon I'd be on nearer 100 if I had plenty of fuel.

Let me know when you are next planning to book, I'll arrange time off and come along.

This will be a good one :

http://www.trackscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8975

As far as I am aware the steering fluid was fine, is there a benefit?

We ran until fuel was a serious issue, more fuel will be brought along next time, I filled up at the nearest garage before and after the session.

I got a passenger ride in a silver Mk1 that was quite a bit quicker than mine, he was going into corners at least 10 mph faster than I was able to!

Looks good fun :D

6 years since I last drove Knockhill - the data file from race chrono reckons:

Main straight V MAX: 90 mph

Duffus Entry: 58 mph (Definitely more brave pills required ;) )

Speed at base of Duffus on run up to McIntyres: 70 mph

Entry for McIntyres: 42 mph (Braking too late into the turn, so generating oversteer)

VMAX Run up to chicane: 68 mph

Through Chicane: 58 mph

VMAX up to Clarks: 77 mph

Entry to Clarks: 51 mph

VMAX on back straight: 91 mph

Hairpin: 31 mph

Lap - 69.7 secs

Standard MX5 / 140 bhp / Toyo T1R's - Interesting to compare to the Puma :)

Fuel was definitely needed. The light came on as I headed to Dunfermline.

I would be up for another this year. I know Tickman said he may not.

Lap wise I think that the puma works a lot harder than the mx5. Also I was a bit wary about a) the slight oil leak B) brakes after last time.

The upgraded brakes definitely stop the puma very quickly.

Tickman should put up his lap times. He is quicker even with a theoretical 15bhp deficit to the puma.