Autoshite Track Events

The Moog

that me booked for Monday 23rd July - only 5 places still available, who else is coming ?

www.dreadnoughtgarage.com

Yep.

I am expecting the Clio to give problems. 

Brakes need looked at before the evening and I will be surprised if I have a gearbox by the end of the night!

Hopefully the right place to ask.

Has anyone got any experience of Public Driving Experiences at Spa in Belgium? Everyone parps on about the Nurburgring but anyone I know who actually knows about these things (including Junkman) reckons that Spa is infinitely better.

Looks like you can get 4x 30 minute sessions spread over a day for about £250, and its strictly limited to road cars and aimed at amateurs.

I'd need to do it over 3 days i reckon, drive there on day 1, track it on day 2 and home on day 3. I've driven on racetracks before as a race marshall but am by no means anything over than a total novice. Is that a bad place to start?

There doesn;t seem to be much in the way of grassroots motorsport round here. Goodwood is £350 for a full day (six 15 minute sessions) and Thruxton want £180 for 3x twenty minute sessions. Looks like I;d get more time on a bigger circuit for less dosh by going to the continent?

Yep.

I am expecting the Clio to give problems. 

Brakes need looked at before the evening and I will be surprised if I have a gearbox by the end of the night!

That's me booked on too! No Duncan as he's on holiday so will be flying solo. 

Will likely bring the MR2 although if the weathers decent I may break (out) the Locost. 

Nice one - I'm missing a co-driver too but that means more laps = more fun :)

I've currently got the road wheels fitted to the mazda - you are welcome to borrow the track wheels for a few days and see how they feel on the mr2, I'll need them back for the trackday obviously

Has anyone got any experience of Public Driving Experiences at Spa in Belgium? Everyone parps on about the Nurburgring but anyone I know who actually knows about these things (including Junkman) reckons that Spa is infinitely better.

Looks like you can get 4x 30 minute sessions spread over a day for about £250, and its strictly limited to road cars and aimed at amateurs.

I'd need to do it over 3 days i reckon, drive there on day 1, track it on day 2 and home on day 3. I've driven on racetracks before as a race marshall but am by no means anything over than a total novice. Is that a bad place to start?

There doesn;t seem to be much in the way of grassroots motorsport round here. Goodwood is £350 for a full day (six 15 minute sessions) and Thruxton want £180 for 3x twenty minute sessions. Looks like I;d get more time on a bigger circuit for less dosh by going to the continent?

I've never been out on a 'fast' circuit but I suppose it depends on which car you would be using - I've read of mx5 owners being quite underwhelmed on tracks such as silverstone where you don't really see the advantage of a small agile car, you really need something quicker to enjoy the circuit.

That is why I like Knockhill so much, the mazda is so well suited to the twisty track, you can really explore the handling of the car and if it does go wrong, you aren't really going that fast anyway. When I had the Porsche, I took it to Knockhill a few times and found it to be less fun, far quicker on the straights but I just couldn't chuck it around in the bends as much. I bought another mx5 and never looked back :)

Fair point, I used to marshal at Silverstone a lot, but once they changed the circuit for the GP and Superbikes all the club meets were, frankly, ruined. Acres of run-off space meant we just stood around with nothing to do for club meets. I used to love HSCC and VSCC events but they were just crap after the changes to layout and runoff areas.

Then I went to thruxton afterwards whcih is good, but again its a very fast circuit so the nimble cars (Minis etc) had no chance against the bigger faster cars.

Its a shame, but I guess they have to cater for the events that bring the money in. I suspect the GP and WSB combined accounts for over 60% of the annual income for a circuit like Silverstone.

anyway, I'd be taking the Celica which is relatively nimble but not straight-line fast by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe I'll just go back to the drawing board.

Nice one - I'm missing a co-driver too but that means more laps = more fun :)

I've currently got the road wheels fitted to the mazda - you are welcome to borrow the track wheels for a few days and see how they feel on the mr2, I'll need them back for the trackday obviously

Cheers for the offer, I'll drop you a PM if i'll get the chance to do that. 

I'm busy looking at underbody braces for the MR2, they seem like A Good Thing for these. Will likely up the pressures on the T1Rs too for the next one. 

t1-r do tend to have a soft sidewall so a couple of psi was beneficial in the mazda when I had them fitted. with the ns-2r fitted, I drop the pressure a little as they do get rather warm on track.

If anyone local is free tomorrow evening, it's the Monklands Sporting Car Club trackday up at Forrestburn 6pm-8pm

https://www.mscc.org.uk

Most likely fully booked already but it's a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours watching the action. Forrestburn is a 1 mile purpose built hillclimb course that they occasionally run non competitive trackdays on to encourage new members and those who might want to try their hand at hillclimbing without the need for a race license. I've done a few of these in the past and it's damn good fun, and a lot more difficult than it sounds.

Here's a video of an S2000 giving it the berries up the hill

https://youtu.be/gcJbt-5l-CY

(Very) cheap track car project anyone ? I've just cleared space on my drive but need to spend a few quid on the house.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-replacement-parts/mazda-mx5-se-eunos-1600cc-petrol/1305128161

post-4462-0-57442600-1530791856_thumb.png

Needs brakes, shocks and sills apparently (I have several sets of spare shocks in the garage if needed)

Tickman ? Dome ? I'm looking at you two in particular :)

Looks to be a v-spec import so viscous lsd, power steering and ~115hp

(Very) cheap track car project anyone ? I've just cleared space on my drive but need to spend a few quid on the house.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-replacement-parts/mazda-mx5-se-eunos-1600cc-petrol/1305128161

IMG_1607.PNG

Needs brakes, shocks and sills apparently (I have several sets of spare shocks in the garage if needed)

Hmmmmm

Better off working on my current fleet, though that is a bargain and near* too

attachicon.gifIMG_1607.PNG

That is indeed tempting.

If that wasn't going to eat a day to collect then I would be coming up with excuses reasons for its arrival as we speak!

Yo Stanky come and at Blyton in September.

I am going to sort out air BnB nearby so should be a cheapish day/weekend.

. Will sort out a big mega thread about it once back and booked.

Open pit lane so you get as much as you/your car can handle.

Plus you can pay for some tution cheaply which helps massively.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent yesterday afternoon preparing the car, fitting the semi slick track tyres and giving it a wash - of course, this guaranteed that for most of the track session, it was absolutely PISHING IT DOWN ! I persevered with the roof down but, at one point, I thought I might have to put my jacket on :(

It is said that you learn a lot about how a car handles in the rain and this proved to be very true out on a sopping wet Knockhill. Visibility wasn't the best and speeds were down but it didn't stop the fun. The little mazda slid around corners, but was suprisingly well behaved when I wanted it to be. Braking was way better than it ought to have been on the Nankang ns-2r track rubber, once I'd gained confidence in the car, I was racking up the laps and having a ball.

I took Neil (320touring) out for a few passenger laps, he seemed to be enjoying himself so I pulled into the pits and we swapped seats - judging by his grin as he slid the mx round the hairpin, plenty of fun was being had.

post-4462-0-56197400-1532428181_thumb.jpg

Autoshite Track Team

I spent yesterday afternoon preparing the car, fitting the semi slick track tyres and giving it a wash - of course, this guaranteed that for most of the track session, it was absolutely PISHING IT DOWN ! I persevered with the roof down but, at one point, I thought I might have to put my jacket on :(

It is said that you learn a lot about how a car handles in the rain and this proved to be very true out on a sopping wet Knockhill. Visibility wasn't the best and speeds were down but it didn't stop the fun. The little mazda slid around corners, but was suprisingly well behaved when I wanted it to be. Braking was way better than it ought to have been on the Nankang ns-2r track rubber, once I'd gained confidence in the car, I was racking up the laps and having a ball.

I took Neil (320touring) out for a few passenger laps, he seemed to be enjoying himself so I pulled into the pits and we swapped seats - judging by his grin as he slid the mx round the hairpin, plenty of fun was being had.

IMG_5116.JPG

Autoshite Track Team

Was a great night, and thon lil Mazda was a hoot:)

• 2 weeks later...

Forrestburn hillclimb tracknight next Wednesday evening if anyone fancies a look along ?

Join the club and take your own car up the hillclimb track (no timing so race license not required) or just watch the action and talk shite ?

Info here :

https://www.mscc.org.uk

this is what it looks like from the drivers seat - damn tricky but lots of fun

https://youtu.be/ea_2C-bdOvQ

Sorry Moog, that is your car being abused (again), still, 59 seconds isn't bad for a little 1.6 :)

Costs £20 for club membership then £15 to enter the tracknight. Everyone takes a turn marshalling but you should get 4-5 runs up the hill in the two hour session.

They do ask you to be sensible until you learn the course as anyone stuck on the grass needs to be rescued by hand :)

Yo stanky - http://autoshite.com/topic/32629-beige-track-days-15th-september-blyton-park/?do=findComment&comment=1571624

Before I fitted bucket seats and harnesses, I used a device (oo-er) called the cg-lock which holds the lap part of your seat belt tight, securing you firmly in your seat. For some reason, they do not seem to be available anymore, but I found these cheap little doohickeys on eBay which look to do a similar job.

post-4462-0-27900400-1533498160_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-43118300-1533498187_thumb.jpg

And it turns out that they are not too bad, I stuck one on in the a2 and flung it about a bit, definitely beneficial. I stuck the other one in the mazda and flung it about a lot, what a fucking hoot :)

Obviously not as good as a harness but worth looking into. Especially if you have slippy leather seats in your mr2 (not looking at anyone in particular)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123085996922

I gave my spare one to mr Moog for evaluation on his next autotest