Autoshite Track Events

The Moog

Awesome day as normal. Car behaved perfectly - well aside from gearbox

Posh version of cat piss tarp7a16b3f8d06f9154a8104062ff14fe33.jpg

Beautiful day

f9e4d7d4274145204c6a3ba9aee936fc.jpg

Look no rust - but also no run. Literally didn't even last the first time out before pissing all over the track.

deae4e5bc20e9eae8904d445da21e827.jpg

Cooling off3cc9581ed12a9a7a03a9c49f46896a8f.jpg

Giffer car holding everyone up

598f6d5a93369aa8e39f6086c2b69ded.jpg

Shopping cars

d4d48c26b5c4bf9817a374b83e01029a.jpgfe7ea4d279229c1c1311f2c045b46ff4.jpg

90d7c95a83ce92b2a80ee642e4273c1f.jpg

This is the heritage £613 buys you

8226d6430d94ad9688fc94c6eb11defa.jpg

This turned up at the end-sounded awesome

fe4079e45848730593d465779c5c0dcd.jpg

Speaking of awesome

e8f87983edd8b18d2603010f597c619c.jpg

3rd to 4th on track is very crunchy.

Instructor today was telling me to change up as the higher gear will settle the car more.

On road it isn't an issue as you can wait a beat, but in the track it was not a happy gearchange.

ah, it's been like that since I had the car, if it gets worse, there are plenty available second hand for not much (if you have a choice, fit one from a mk2, slightly better shift action)

change up earlier ? surely you need to wring every little ounce of power out of those revs. he's right of course but where's the fun in that ?

ah, it's been like that since I had the car, if it gets worse, there are plenty available second hand for not much (if you have a choice, fit one from a mk2, slightly better shift action)

change up earlier ? surely you need to wring every little ounce of power out of those revs. he's right of course but where's the fun in that ?

I was paying for the tution so seemed silly to ignore his advice!

The wiggler definitely benefited from being in fourth in the approach.

Next tweaks are trackday tyres and fit power steering cooler (it did a little Pas wee).

Quite a mix of st

Got a spare innertube that you can clamp onto the pipes? Then you can pump it up with air and see if it holds some pressure.

I will see what I can find.

Is it just Tickman and GM for next Thursday?

Two things : Knockhill is bloody difficult in the reverse direction and the cars took a bit of a beating !

Tickman's Clio initially gave him gyp in the form of an error code then pissed it's steering fluid onto the pit lane floor, my mazda carried on through the session but towards the end the clutch was slipping a bit. Then a lot.

This was thankfully the second last lap of the night so it held up well. Once cooled down, I made it home with no problems but money will have to be spent before the next outing.

Otherwise, what a great night, nice to meet Dome and Craig (who I think enjoyed being a passenger for a few enthusiastic laps) and of course Chuck (Tickmans daughter) who was sharing driving the Clio until it broke. She also came out for passenger laps and "loved the tyres squeeling on the corners"

Next one is at the end of May, I'd better get the spanners out on that clutch quick style :)

I have a couple of longer videos if anyone wants to see them but it's taken me two days to figure out how to load a one minute clip :(

It is boldly claimed by this guide that the clutch can be changed at home single handed but I'm not convinced. Tickman has offered the use of his unit, expertise and moral support to get it done so I'll be ordering up the parts and planning when works for both of us.

https://www.miata.net/garage/clutch/index.html

I do have a theory that it's something leaking onto the clutch / flywheel when the car is driven hard - whether it's oil from the gearbox or engine side, I'm not sure but as the gear box needs to come off to investigate, I'll fit a new clutch anyway. I'm not planning any power upgrades so will go for a standard set up, this one looks good value from mx5parts

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/clutch-motorsport-piece-mk1-25-p-3976.html

The video was done on my GoPro hero3 which I chose as it has the facility to add an external microphone, the little mazda does sound angry with the mic hanging off the back of the car by the exhaust :) with the built in mic, you just get a load of wind noise.

It is boldly claimed by this guide that the clutch can be changed at home single handed but I'm not convinced. Tickman has offered the use of his unit, expertise and moral support to get it done so I'll be ordering up the parts and planning when works for both of us.

https://www.miata.net/garage/clutch/index.html

I do have a theory that it's something leaking onto the clutch / flywheel when the car is driven hard - whether it's oil from the gearbox or engine side, I'm not sure but as the gear box needs to come off to investigate, I'll fit a new clutch anyway. I'm not planning any power upgrades so will go for a standard set up, this one looks good value from mx5parts

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/clutch-motorsport-piece-mk1-25-p-3976.html

Let me know when this is happening, happy to help if I'm free.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone coming along to TrackScotland tonight ? I'll be interested to see if (when) my clutch trouble reappears, the mazda is driving just fine at the minute. There's an empty passenger seat if anyone is feeling brave / silly ?

Well, you missed a treat tonight - cracking sunshine, decent driving standards, a good mix of cars and the little mazda racked up an impressive 70+ laps - I did have to stop and change the front brake pads half way through the evening (not totally worn out but very glazed, made for a fun job when everything was too hot to touch, even with gloves on)

no clutch trouble at all this time round, odd but I'm certainly not complaining. I did notice a bit of oil leaking out of the gearbox turret just at the end of the session but that is an easy fix. I love that little car, it takes so much abuse but keeps on going.

Fastest lap tonight 68:84

post-4462-0-37291100-1527803806_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-32430300-1527803865_thumb.jpg

I'd checked them in advance and knew they were getting low so wasn't suprised when they went to shite in the first hour.

I replaced the worn out mintex track pads with part worn road brembos and reckon the braking improved, I was definitely braking later and harder after the swap. such good fun, I was thinking of maybe selling the Mazda but that's not going to happen :)